• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Video Games

Sancho Panza

Donator
Private Member
Reaction score
Any gamers on the Bounce? Don't know if there has been a thread on this before but couldn't be arsed looking.
I see that the first 3 Tomb Raider games have been remastered for next gen consoles. They still look quite dated compared to modern games but I'm very tempted as I really enjoyed them on the PS1 back in the day before there were YouTube videos to help when you got stuck!
I'm currently playing Starfield on my nice new XBox Series X and it looks stunning. Huge open world game but it's kinda boring. Some old skool Lara Croft adventures might be what is called for.

Any other overgrown teenagers here? What are/were your favourite games?

My favourite game was the only game I've ever played, Shadow of the Beast on SEGA megadrive.
Tried to play some football game with my son on his playstation once and had absolutely no idea how the controller worked. He never asked me again 🤷

I'm a gamer. I'd guess I'm part of the first generation who has been playing them their whole life. First games machine was a ZX Spectrum I got for Christmas aged around 7ish.

I've had various current gen consoles over the years but tend to veer towards the indie stuff these days. I play new stuff purely on my PC via Steam. Its nowhere near powerful enough to run AAA games but I've no interest in playing VR games or COD deathmatches against screaming teenagers anyway.

As for new games, I really enjoyed Dredge and Cocoon in 2023, but I'm usually a johnny come lately playing games from 4/5 years ago I've picked up for pennies in a Steam sale.

Last edited:
Any gamers on the Bounce? Don't know if there has been a thread on this before but couldn't be arsed looking.
I see that the first 3 Tomb Raider games have been remastered for next gen consoles. They still look quite dated compared to modern games but I'm very tempted as I really enjoyed them on the PS1 back in the day before there were YouTube videos to help when you got stuck!
I'm currently playing Starfield on my nice new XBox Series X and it looks stunning. Huge open world game but it's kinda boring. Some old skool Lara Croft adventures might be what is called for.

Any other overgrown teenagers here? What are/were your favourite games?

Gaming is my passion. Currently grinding PalWorld on Xbox. Looking forward to Dragons Dogma 2 in March.

Started off playing Atari then Amstrad cpc464. Moved onto consoles and Nes was my first followed by Snes the Nintendo64. Moved on to Xbox and a stint on PlayStation but never lasted. Had all Xbox consoles upto current version.

Fifa has always been my go to game like 😂

Dark Souls and associated family of games: Demon Souls, Dark Souls 2 and 3, Bloodborne, Elden Ring. Then there are third party ‘souls likes’.

Teeth grindingly hard, but unbeatable in terms of atmosphere and sense of progression. All of them are good, most of them are great, but Dark Souls is the greatest game ever made IMHO. The end levels are a bit rushed as they ran out of money, but the world is the best in any game - I shall say no more for fear of spoilers.

I got back into games through lockdown but was mostly unimpressed with the easy peasy save points every 5 seconds, tedious cut scenes etc.

Then I found Dark Souls. Next thing lockdown was over lol

Elden Ring is the latest and greatest and open world, though not like ‘open world games’. Dark Souls graphics are a little bit dated, but if you haven’t played it I recommend. It’s not easy though, I can’t stress that enough.

All I will say by way of hints if you feel like trying - as it does not hold your hand whatsoever - I) if it feels not just hard but mental, try another direction ii) the original dlc which is now packaged with it, includes some of the best bosses in video game history. And is almost impossible to access unless you know what to do. So check that online, but I recommend checking as little else as possible.

I'm a gamer. I'd guess I'm part of the first generation who has been playing them their whole life. First games machine was a ZX Spectrum I got for Christmas aged around 7ish.

I've had various current gen consoles over the years but tend to veer towards the indie stuff these days. I play new stuff purely on my PC via Steam. Its nowhere near powerful enough to run AAA games but I've no interest in playing VR games or COD deathmatches against screaming teenagers anyway.

As for new games, I really enjoyed Dredge and Cocoon in 2023, but I'm usually a johnny come lately playing games from 4/5 years ago I've picked up for pennies in a Steam sale.
Me anaw, albeit with a massive hiatus from girls appearing on the horizon until late 20s, then a second from kids being born till lockdown lol

I used to be able to beat the record score (as published in the esteemed computer and video games) at international soccer on the c64. I never wrote in though lol. I was a master at that game.

It’s not just me btw

Gaming is my passion. Currently grinding PalWorld on Xbox. Looking forward to Dragons Dogma 2 in March.

Started off playing Atari then Amstrad cpc464. Moved onto consoles and Nes was my first followed by Snes the Nintendo64. Moved on to Xbox and a stint on PlayStation but never lasted. Had all Xbox consoles upto current version.
I’m looking forward to DD2. DD1 was another lockdown one for me!

Dark Souls and associated family of games: Demon Souls, Dark Souls 2 and 3, Bloodborne, Elden Ring. Then there are third party ‘souls likes’.

Teeth grindingly hard, but unbeatable in terms of atmosphere and sense of progression. All of them are good, most of them are great, but Dark Souls is the greatest game ever made IMHO. The end levels are a bit rushed as they ran out of money, but the world is the best in any game - I shall say no more for fear of spoilers.

I got back into games through lockdown but was mostly unimpressed with the easy peasy save points every 5 seconds, tedious cut scenes etc.

Then I found Dark Souls. Next thing lockdown was over lol

Elden Ring is the latest and greatest and open world, though not like ‘open world games’. Dark Souls graphics are a little bit dated, but if you haven’t played it I recommend. It’s not easy though, I can’t stress that enough.

All I will say by way of hints if you feel like trying - as it does not hold your hand whatsoever - I) if it feels not just hard but mental, try another direction ii) the original dlc which is now packaged with it, includes some of the best bosses in video game history. And is almost impossible to access unless you know what to do. So check that online, but I recommend checking as little else as possible.

Never finished a Dark Souls game. Beat The Surge which is "souls like" but it's always pissed me off I've never finished one.

Got far on Elden Ring tae but just couldn't get any further. I'll need to man up and get one done.

You are right though. The game certainly doesn't hold yer hand which I appreciate also. Game these days have big icons on where to go and what to do most times.

I’m looking forward to DD2. DD1 was another lockdown one for me!

Thought it was a cracking game and really looking forward to the second one. Another that didn't hold yer hand.

Never finished a Dark Souls game. Beat The Surge which is "souls like" but it's always pissed me off I've never finished one.

Got far on Elden Ring tae but just couldn't get any further. I'll need to man up and get one done.

You are right though. The game certainly doesn't hold yer hand which I appreciate also. Game these days have big icons on where to go and what to do most times.
Our motto could be clapped on the front cover of Dark Souls: persevere.

It was probably because it was lockdown that I keep at it till it clicked. Once it does suddenly it’s a different ball game. Elden Ring is a wee bit too long though - it’s the first one where I used some of the bag of tricks you have at your disposal to make it easier, just to get it finished.

If you can complete the surge you can complete dark souls. Nioh (the first one not the much more popular Nioh 2) is the hardest soulslike of all imo.

Me anaw, albeit with a massive hiatus from girls appearing on the horizon until late 20s, then a second from kids being born till lockdown lol

I used to be able to beat the record score (as published in the esteemed computer and video games) at international soccer on the c64. I never wrote in though lol. I was a master at that game.

I managed to keep the gaming and the girl chasing going in tandem with reasonable success... there was always that one pal you had to remind not to tell the lassies you were chatting up that we'd spend three hours pre-pub playing multiplayer Goldeneye though.

I did experience a return to those days recently after sinking loads of hours into Slay the Spire and my wife eloquently saying "You've no idea how much of a fanny drier it is watching you play cards against a dragon."

The young team are lucky, there's plenty of lassies playing games now.

I managed to keep the gaming and the girl chasing going in tandem with reasonable success... there was always that one pal you had to remind not to tell the lassies you were chatting up that we'd spend three hours pre-pub playing multiplayer Goldeneye though.

I did experience a return to those days recently after sinking loads of hours into Slay the Spire and my wife eloquently saying "You've no idea how much of a fanny drier it is watching you play cards against a dragon."

The young team are lucky, there's plenty of lassies playing games now.
Slay the spire I have more hours in than I am comfortable with. Brilliant for travelling though if you have it on an iPad or something.

Slay the spire I have more hours in than I am comfortable with. Brilliant for travelling though if you have it on an iPad or something.

I decided I was finally finished with it this year. Killed the Heart with all four characters. The hours sunk into achieving that over the last year or so could be measured in weeks though much to my embarrassment.

Does anyone remember the video games hall just down from the Usher hall (80’s), there was some classic games in there, space invaders, Asteroids , strike , Pac-Man etc, I used to love playing Asteroids

Does anyone remember the video games hall just down from the Usher hall (80’s), there was some classic games in there, space invaders, Asteroids , strike , Pac-Man etc, I used to love playing Asteroids
Yup. There was a multiplayer football game in their where you control players with a trackball, including birling it to run faster. That was carnage.

Oh and R Type. Classic.

Our motto could be clapped on the front cover of Dark Souls: persevere.

It was probably because it was lockdown that I keep at it till it clicked. Once it does suddenly it’s a different ball game. Elden Ring is a wee bit too long though - it’s the first one where I used some of the bag of tricks you have at your disposal to make it easier, just to get it finished.

If you can complete the surge you can complete dark souls. Nioh (the first one not the much more popular Nioh 2) is the hardest soulslike of all imo.

Played Nioh also. And again didn't finish it. Good game though some cool bosses. There's another game called Lies of P you may like.

Fifa has always been my go to game like 😂
Played Fifa on the Megadrive and on PS1. Later games got too fiddly for me.
Sensible World of Soccer was the best football game ever, closely followed by Champ/Football Manager.

Sensible World of Soccer was the best football game ever, closely followed by Champ/Football Manager.

Ah Sensible Soccer was braw. Still have it on my Xbox.

I gave up when it got more complicated than Galaxian.
I made a brief comeback one afternoon playing some fighting game until my nephew took the huff because I couldn't explain how I carried out moves that he had never seen before🤣

Ahhhh Sensi.

I build a little emulation console out of a Raspberry Pi a couple of years ago (fun project that I'd recommend btw). It is easily the most played game on it.

My all time favourite is probably the Mass Effect trilogy. Played it in it's entirety numerous times as both male and female protagonist and pretty much all character classes. On Insanity difficulty. Find it very comforting and endlessly repayable.
Last game I really loved was Witcher 3 plus the expansions. Gorgeous looking game.
Also shout outs to the first 2 Bioshock games. A critique of Randian Objectivism set in an art deco underwater city. What's not to love?
Half-Life 2 was the baws as well. Decapitating zombies with a gravity gun and circular saw blades!

It’s not just me btw

I'm tempted but that level of difficulty just sounds like a pain in the dong. There has to be a certain trade off between difficulty and being able to make progress.

Ahhhh Sensi.

I build a little emulation console out of a Raspberry Pi a couple of years ago (fun project that I'd recommend btw). It is easily the most played game on it.
I remember playing several seasons with Hibs to get enough money to buy Gabriel Batistuta. Then lost the European Cup final to AC Milan 😥

I remember playing several seasons with Hibs to get enough money to buy Gabriel Batistuta. Then lost the European Cup final to AC Milan 😥
Hope you sacked yourself then? Or got transferred to Airdrie

I'm tempted but that level of difficulty just sounds like a pain in the dong. There has to be a certain trade off between difficulty and being able to make progress.
I genuinely think you would like it. There’s all kinds of philosophical stuff expounded about it btw, although it’s famously inscrutable. Online there are loads of folk who claim it saved their mental health and so on. Doesnae really apply to us, but for the child centred learning generations it seems to teach them stuff about perseverance they should really be learning elsewhere, but hey ho. Btw when I say it’s hard, it doesn’t involve complicated controls and dexterity, it’s more about learning when you can do stuff safely and being patient - overreach will kill your every time.

Perhaps try Elden Ring - it’s more modern and designed to be more accessible. It’s open world but not in the usual boring wandering around collecting stuff pish. It means there are fewer ‘walls’ and when you encounter one you can go off and level up and come back. It’s easier generally, although gets hard at the end - but you’re over 100 hours in by then so you’ll know well before then whether it’s worth it to you.

These games are beautifully designed as well, and there are ways to make them a lot easier using in game tools, but me being me I try to to do it the purist way with out using them.

I will warn that a lot of folk once they play one, they can’t really be arsed with any other games.

The sense of progress is like no other games btw - and that’s not just about getting past tough enemies. There’s a genuine sense of exploration.

With all this chat of difficult but rewarding games, I'll give Hollow Knight a shout out. I was absolutely obsessed with getting good at that game a couple of years ago. Punishingly difficult but a fantastic experience none the less.

I'll be getting the sequel on day one if it ever ends up getting released.

Last edited:
I genuinely think you would like it. There’s all kinds of philosophical stuff expounded about it btw, although it’s famously inscrutable. Online there are loads of folk who claim it saved their mental health and so on. Doesnae really apply to us, but for the child centred learning generations it seems to teach them stuff about perseverance they should really be learning elsewhere, but hey ho. Btw when I say it’s hard, it doesn’t involve complicated controls and dexterity, it’s more about learning when you can do stuff safely and being patient - overreach will kill your every time.

Perhaps try Elden Ring - it’s more modern and designed to be more accessible. It’s open world but not in the usual boring wandering around collecting stuff pish. It means there are fewer ‘walls’ and when you encounter one you can go off and level up and come back. It’s easier generally, although gets hard at the end - but you’re over 100 hours in by then so you’ll know well before then whether it’s worth it to you.

These games are beautifully designed as well, and there are ways to make them a lot easier using in game tools, but me being me I try to to do it the purist way with out using them.

I will warn that a lot of folk once they play one, they can’t really be arsed with any other games.

The sense of progress is like no other games btw - and that’s not just about getting past tough enemies. There’s a genuine sense of exploration.
Ta for the rec Eegie. Might give it a go. Looked and thought uh oh, Dark Souls, and passed on.
Did you play Skyrim at all?

🤓🤓🤓

Love 'em! Been playing since the mid-80's, even birds, bevvy and work not been enough to put me off. Had a fair number of consoles over the years, some highlights below:

Atari 2600 - Berserk, Pacman (awful arcade port), Pole Position, Frostbite and the most difficult game ever... Raiders of the Lost Ark.

ZX Spectrum - Too many to mention but Target Renegade and the Dizzy franchise were great games. Codemasters knew how to write a good game. And the original Kevin Toms Football Manager games.

Sega Megadrive - Golden Axe, FIFA (the OG). Sonic obviously, and a little known classic and one of the first real-time strategy games 'Herzog Zwei'

SNES - Probably my favourite console of all time. Super Mario World was class. Also some great RPG games like Zelda (my all-time #1) and Secret of Mana etc

N64 - Goldeneye (#1 FPS), and Zelda: Ocarina of Time was a game changer

PC - Command and Conquer, Quake, Doom, and Champ Man 2 which IMO is what evolved into all the footy manager games we see now

PS2 - Kingdom Hearts, Pro Evolution Soccer and GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas

PS3 - Skyrim. FIFA and a lesser-known Rockstar game called LA Noir which was amazing. GTA 4 was pants but GTA V was class and has had massive longevity, Oh and Red Dead Redemption.

PS4 - FIFA again. RDR2 which comes close to being the GOAT for me - what game. Quite enjoyed Uncharted 4.

PS5 - FIFA once again which is really all I play on it myself these days. The bairns play Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, TMNT etc etc. I downloaded Ghosts n' Goblins Resurrection from the PlayStation store last year and they loved that.

Probably missed loads out. Some good suggestions on this thread which I may need to investigate. Can't wait for GTA 6 coming out next year, will need to book some annual leave in for that bad boy.

Kev (age 43)

🤓🤓🤓

Love 'em! Been playing since the mid-80's, even birds, bevvy and work not been enough to put me off. Had a fair number of consoles over the years, some highlights below:

Atari 2600 - Berserk, Pacman (awful arcade port), Pole Position, Frostbite and the most difficult game ever... Raiders of the Lost Ark.

ZX Spectrum - Too many to mention but Target Renegade and the Dizzy franchise were great games. Codemasters knew how to write a good game. And the original Kevin Toms Football Manager games.

Sega Megadrive - Golden Axe, FIFA (the OG). Sonic obviously, and a little known classic and one of the first real-time strategy games 'Herzog Zwei'

SNES - Probably my favourite console of all time. Super Mario World was class. Also some great RPG games like Zelda (my all-time #1) and Secret of Mana etc

PC - Command and Conquer, Quake, Doom, and Champ Man 2 which IMO is what evolved into all the footy manager games we see now

PS3 - Skyrim. FIFA and a lesser-known Rockstar game called LA Noir which was amazing. GTA 4 was pants but GTA V was class and has had massive longevity, Oh and Red Dead Redemption.

PS4 - FIFA again. RDR2 which comes close to being the GOAT for me - what game. Quite enjoyed Uncharted 4.

PS5 - FIFA once again which is really all I play on it myself these days. The bairns play Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, TMNT etc etc. I downloaded Ghosts n' Goblins Resurrection from the PlayStation store last year and they loved that.

Probably missed loads out. Some good suggestions on this thread which I may need to investigate. Can't wait for GTA 6 coming out next year, will need to book some annual leave in for that bad boy.

Kev (age 43)

43 myself and reading your post fills me with nostalgia. Some bangers in the lists you've given. Did you ever play Fear or Condemned?

Saddened to see what's happened to Pro Evolution Soccer. Thought it was miles better than Fifa personally.

Halo on the original XBox was a real game changer for me. Playing split screen co-op with my mate was awesome. Gears of War likewise. Probably why I'm XBox rather than PS.

🤓🤓🤓

Kev (age 43)
Great Post Kev. I'm reading this outside the battle cruiser on a fag (well vape) break. Later or tomorrow I'm going to have a go at my best game per platform.

Original Doom was a banger of a game and still enjoyable to play. The most recent re-boot is excellent too; using the same enemies and concepts but with a very different combat mechanic.

The gang colors in San andreas are bass on Hibs and hearts

The gang colors in San andreas are bass on Hibs and hearts

Some locations loosely based aswell I think.

Ok, I’m gonna go;

Arcade; Tempest - brilliant but under the radar game. Vector scan graphics (like asteroids), spinny wheel control. Psychedelic in the zone mayhem. Never been convincingly reproduced though you could run it on a disposable vape these days. Because everything is raster scan (ie pixel based)

Atari 2600 - the empire strikes back - zipping about taking down walkers. Honourable mention: Pitfall. A far superior game technically and way ahead of its time. But I like what I like

ZX81 - some RPG, black crystal I think it was. Young people, every time you see memory buffering, imagine at that point you need to put in a tape cassette and wait ten minutes. Ludicrously ambitious for a chip set probably not much more powerful than in your debit card today

Speedy - Penetrator - ooh err missus - scramble done brilliantly. Including an editor that let you make your own levels.

C64 - Ultima IV. Massive rpg with a cloth map and lots of other gubbins. Along with solving quests etc, you had to cultivate ‘virtues’ one of which was courage. After playing to for months to get to the end, I found I couldn’t complete it due to my courage being pish cos I long ran away from (tedious) battles to save time and get on with the game. Cue weeks and weeks of tedious battles to rebuild it. It was the 80s: it was that or watching Dallas. Honourable mentions: international soccer and chuckie egg - insanely fast platformer which I suspect has never been topped as a pure example of the genre

Atari ST - Elite. Will always be associated, and rightly so, with the BBC micro, but who could afford that so years later this was where I played it. HM: the bards tale.

PC - a huge window potentially but for me limited to anout 97 to 02. operation flashpoint. So far ahead of its time it’s untrue. Basically invented milsims afaik. More than 20 years later I am still waiting til I can afford a gaming pc to play its Arma successors. HM: return to castle wolfenstein and delta force. First exposure to online gaming. The former had a where eagles dare cable car map, where I had a strategy for blowing up the castle entrance - to the let the team in - from the inside rather than the out as expected. Only time I’ve ever bossed an online game consistently. Nobody knew wtf what was going on.

Ps1 - tomb raider and die hard. Nuff said on the first but the second, an on rails shooter, blew me away by having a destructible environment, the first I’ve ever seen

PS4 / 5: Dark souls as above. HM: days gone; under rated classic due to being buggy af on release, but honed to a point when I picked it up years later during lockdown. Unique ‘horde technology’ where you could have iirc 700 zombies chasing you at once. I still marvel at that from a tech pov but won’t bore you with why. Just watch this in infinite spawn mode:

Last edited:
I forgot football manager, everyone who mentioned is right. A classic. And written in BASIC which was / is incredible*. I used to be Everton or Oldham iirc.

* 1k chess for the original zx81 still blows my mind. Encoding the entire game of chess in the equivalent of 1024 characters (there’s ~120 in my first para). You don’t get programmers like that anymore and we will never see there likes again; because it’s not required. There’s a wider philosophical point in that..but I can’t be bothered

43 myself and reading your post fills me with nostalgia. Some bangers in the lists you've given. Did you ever play Fear or Condemned?

Saddened to see what's happened to Pro Evolution Soccer. Thought it was miles better than Fifa personally.
Aye Pro Evo was streets ahead of FIFA in the early 00's. It always seemed so much faster and more fun to play. Then they lost all the official licenses and FIFA took over. On PS3 FIFA I somehow managed to get the PA at "Ivy Lane" playing Proclaimers 500 Miles every time Hibs scored a goal 🤣 The Peter Crouch robot celebration and making your opponent watch every replay angle of your goal was usually good for a forced quit 🤣

No not played those games - any good? What platform where they on?

Ok, I’m gonna go;

Arcade; Tempest - brilliant but under the radar game. Vector scan graphics (like asteroids), spinny wheel control. Psychedelic in the zone mayhem. Never been convincingly reproduced though you could run it on a disposable vape these days. Because everything is raster scan (ie pixel based)

Atari 2600 - the empire strikes back - zipping about taking down walkers. Honourable mention: Pitfall. A far superior game technically and way ahead of its time. But I like what I like

ZX81 - some RPG, black crystal I think it was. Young people, every time you see memory buffering, imagine at that point you need to put in a tape cassette and wait ten minutes. Ludicrously ambitious for a chip set probably not much more powerful than in your debit card today

Speedy - Penetrator - ooh err missus - scramble done brilliantly. Including an editor that let you make your own levels.

C64 - Ultima IV. Massive rpg with a cloth map and lots of other gubbins. Along with solving quests etc, you had to cultivate ‘virtues’ one of which was courage. After playing to for months to get to the end, I found I couldn’t complete it due to my courage being pish cos I long ran away from (tedious) battles to save time and get on with the game. Cue weeks and weeks of tedious battles to rebuild it. It was the 80s: it was that or watching Dallas. Honourable mentions: international soccer and chuckie egg - insanely fast platformer which I suspect has never been topped as a pure example of the genre

Atari ST - Elite. Will always be associated, and rightly so, with the BBC micro, but who could afford that so years later this was where I played it. HM: the bards tale.

PC - a huge window potentially but for me limited to anout 97 to 02. operation flashpoint. So far ahead of its time it’s untrue. Basically invented milsims afaik. More than 20 years later I am still waiting til I can afford a gaming pc to play its Arma successors. HM: return to castle wolfenstein and delta force. First exposure to online gaming. The former had a where eagles dare cable car map, where I had a strategy for blowing up the castle entrance - to the let the team in - from the inside rather than the out as expected. Only time I’ve ever bossed an online game consistently. Nobody knew wtf what was going on.

Ps1 - tomb raider and die hard. Nuff said on the first but the second, an on rails shooter, blew me away by having a destructible environment, the first I’ve ever seen

PS4 / 5: Dark souls as above. HM: days gone; under rated classic due to being buggy af on release, but honed to a point when I picked it up years later during lockdown. Unique ‘horde technology’ where you could have iirc 700 zombies chasing you at once. I still marvel at that from a tech pov but won’t bore you with why. Just watch this in infinite spawn mode:

A Bard's Tale! Bizarrely, they used to have a video and video game section at Gracemount Leisure centre and I rented that from there once.

Days Gone I was well up for but it took so bloody long to come out (seemed like years?) that I'd lost interest when it was finally released. I had also heard that it was buggy. Might have to revisit.

This thread has been viewed 1779 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£28.75