• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Who Is Your All Time Favourite Winger At Hibs?

Jim Scott, Eric Stevenson, Peter Marinello
Nice to see Jim Scott getting a deserved mention. Smashing player.

Has Drey Wright had a mention?

Didn't think so?

Has Drey Wright had a mention?

Didn't think so?

He had one great ball played to him that he failed to really run through with.
Other than that ?‍♂️

He had one great ball played to him that he failed to really run through with.
Other than that ?‍♂️
Apparently he has now disappeared into thin air, no one saw him go.

Luckily Doidge seemed to beam i around the same time. Like 11 men again...

Alex Edwards he was and still is my first football hero seen him in a pub about 10 yrs ago and even in my 40s I was still in awe off him
Mickey Weir wasn't bad
Crunchy McAllister
Ivan Sproule first time

It's 2 mins 20 seconds in on this video
Thank you so much for that. That was the goal. That cut back into the goal-mouth at speed for AG's header took real skill and a very delicate touch. Thanks again.

I really had forgotten how good Arthur was. I think there are two goals in there from a League Cup game at Broomfield when we did Airdrie 6-2, with Arthur scoring numbers 5 and 6? One of those games when we left promptly and in numbers to avoid Section B ...

And I loved that cheeky one in the Drybrough Final when he comes in from the touchline to the near post and then dinks it past the defender. A great whole-hearted and very skillful player who should have played far more games for his country.

Am I gonnae have to change my vote? :unsure:
[automerge]1610922170[/automerge]
Nice to see Jim Scott getting a deserved mention. Smashing player.
I mind Jim Scott. He was a very fine player. Right-winger and centre-forward. (Not at the same time, of course.)

I was once on a job up in Caithness, and I happened to mention that I came from Leith.

The young lady I was speaking to said, 'Oh, you'll be a Hibee then.'

I said, 'Yes.'

'So you'll remember my uncles,' she said. 'They both played on the right wing for Hibs.'

And I though, 'Oh dearie me, (or words to that effect) who can those two guys be?' I hadn't a clue, and I didn't want to admit I had no idea who her uncles were.

And then the penny dropped. Jim and Alex Scott. Bingo! Problem solved. My credit as a Hibee was preserved, indeed enhanced.

Alex originally played for Rangers. he moved down to Everton. He came to us from Everton after Jim had moved to Newcastle. A lot of us thought he'd be past it, and some folks weren't happy about a former Rangers player in the team.

BUT - he played in the 5-0 win over FC Napoli in the Fairs Cup, and he put over the two corners for Pat Stanton and Peter Cormack to score goal#3 and goal#4 i and two absolutely perfectly flighted, perfectly curling corner kicks they were. Can still see them in my minds' eye. They were just begging to be put away, and Pat and Peter were happy to oblige. Part of one of the half-dozen best times I've had following Hibs over the years.

Alex was one of the best strikers of a free kick or corner I've seen. I think we paid Everton around £12-15,000 for him and he was worth every penny.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for that. That was the goal. That cut back into the goal-mouth at speed for AG's header took real skill and a very delicate touch. Thanks again.

I really had forgotten how good Arthur was. I think there are two goals in there from a League Cup game at Broomfield when we did Airdrie 6-2, with Arthur scoring numbers 5 and 6? One of those games when we left promptly and in numbers to avoid Section B ...

And I loved that cheeky one in the Drybrough Final when he comes in from the touchline to the near post and then dinks it past the defender. A great whole-hearted and very skillful player who should have played far more games for his country.

Am I gonnae have to change my vote? :unsure:
[automerge]1610922170[/automerge]

I mind Jim Scott. He was a very fine player. Right-winger and centre-forward. (Not at the same time, of course.)

I was once on a job up in Caithness, and I happened to mention that I came from Leith.

The young lady I was speaking to said, 'Oh, you'll be a Hibee then.'

I said, 'Yes.'

'So you'll remember my uncles,' she said. 'They both played on the right wing for Hibs.'

And I though, 'Oh dearie me, (or words to that effect) who can those two guys be?' I hadn't a clue, and I didn't want to admit I had no idea who her uncles were.

And then the penny dropped. Jim and Alex Scott. Bingo! Problem solved. My credit as a Hibee was preserved, indeed enhanced.

Alex originally played for Huns. he moved down to Everton. He came to us from Everton after Jim had moved to Newcastle. A lot of us thought he'd be past it, and some folks weren't happy about a former Huns player in the team.

BUT - he played in the 5-0 win over FC Napoli in the Fairs Cup, and he put ioverthe two corners for Pat Stanton and Peter Cormack to score goal#3 and goal#4 i and two absolutely perfectly flighted, perfectly curling corner kicks they were. Can still see them in my minds' eye. They were just begging to be put away, and pat and Peter were happy to oblige. Part of one of the half-dozen best times I've had following Hibs over the years.

Alex was one of the best strikers of a free kick or corner I've seen. I think we paid Everton around £12-15,000 for him and he was worth every penny.
Great memories. I've always got Jim and Alex Scott confused, but you've sorted them out for me now - Jim left and Alex arrived just a year or two before I first started following Hibs.

This has been a tough one - unlike the striker question where I think Ive about 30 names before Zitelli - Ive been thinking and think maybe Crunchie was my fav, then probs Arthur Duncan, then Ivan in third place. I was disappointed to realise Ive seen so few decent wingers playing for us.

I loved Stevenson too.But for me it is Duncan and Edwards.The Tornadoes will always be my favourite period.
Edwards wasn't a winger. I didn't think you'd be old enough to remember Stevenson mate.

Edwards wasn't a winger. I didn't think you'd be old enough to remember Stevenson mate.
I'd have to go for Nijinsky as well. Sitting there at the front watching him coming at ye at 30mph was always an experience. He'd either get the cross in somehow but it often ended up at the opposite corner flag at 100mph or so.

Even Ivan was less of a force of nature as Duncan was.

Oh aye, and Marinello mainly cos I fancied his cousin (she worked where I worked weekends as a teenager) and he was all we had in common to talk aboot. Naw, we didnae an I wish I had a photie!

Reactions: Dub
I'd have to go for Nijinsky as well. Sitting there at the front watching him coming at ye at 30mph was always an experience. He'd either get the cross in somehow but it often ended up at the opposite corner flag at 100mph or so.

Even Ivan was less of a force of nature as Duncan was.

Oh aye, and Marinello mainly cos I fancied his cousin (she worked where I worked weekends as a teenager) and he was all we had in common to talk aboot. Naw, we didnae an I wish I had a photie!
Here you go mate.

1610926660476.jpeg

It's 2 mins 20 seconds in on this video

Thanks for that not seen it before some great clips

Arthur Duncan I never seen anyone better play as a winger for hibs

I know he's been mentioned, but looking down the posts, I think some of us (the older ones maybe?) rather underestimate Ivan Sproule. He tended to be dismissed by some as 'just a speed-merchant' but my recollection of him is as a lightning-quick and very clever player. In other words, Ivan knew where to run, and ran there very quickly and knew what to do with the ball when he got there

And who can forget his hat-trick at Greyskull? IIRC he said afterwards that his family had come over from NI to see him play, and when the interviewer said something like, 'Oh, they'll have been really pleased to see you play so well and score a hat-trick,' Ivan grinned and said, 'Not really - they all support the Rangers ...'

There was a lot of skill involved in those goals, and to do Archie MacPherson justice, he gave Ivan full credit for them in his commentary.

[Guys - he didnae say 'the Huns'. His family were listening.]

Last edited:
Never get tired o' watching that

This thread has been viewed 2818 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£18.75