• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Books

Nice to see you back, its a mellower, nicer place nowadays.
Thanks mate, It feels good too. The Bounce has never been a less than interesting place to talk to folk! Always good craic.

Considering if you are maybe having a struggle with concentration and immersing yourself in a book have you considered a book or two of short stories so that you can back to your reading in smaller steps? A few years ago after some trauma I lost the ability to 'get into' reading books and enjoying them as I'd always done and this helped me. I also figured out that I did more 'real' reading at bedtime and so bought a tablet so that I could read backlit text. (I know there are disavantages in looking at screens before sleeping so there can be a trade-off for some.

A book of short stories I'd like to recommend was written many years ago and the title story made into an intriguing kitchen sink drama of the day. It's 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' by the late Alan Sillitoe. It comprises nine shrt stories, each and every one of them a shining little gem, which have predominantly timeless themes.
Thanks mate, It feels good too. The Bounce has never been a less than interesting place to talk to folk! Always good craic.
I'd echo Ms sentiment,in my eyes you are a much missed and valued poster

Yeah, I’m sure she’s a great person to hang out with - I’m always seeing photos of her with people and it looks like they all think she’s barry. In fact this morning on my twitter was a photo of her and Ian Rankin all shits and giggles.

I was maybe 2 years too young for all the real Throbbing Gristle / PTV magick temple stuff. I saw PTV once in London in 1987. I do remember reading an interview with Genesis back then when he was going on about his cock and ball piercings and dangling music promoters out of windows and I thought he was not someone I’d want to hang out with. To this day I can’t work out how serious people like Rose McDowell, Boyd Rice, and Genesis were about the witchcraft stuff and if that new folk stuff is just racist bullshit or not. I think they probably all smelt quite moldy.
As an aside I was surprised to see one of the films that came out about Joy Division,Genesis P is now a she.

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier. Swashbuckling and smuggling, can't beat it!
I wouldn't recommend the recent TV series that came out.It wasn't only my mum was complaining 'Eh?Can't hear what he's saying!'.

You should visit more often.
Our quotas of nut jobs is over subscribed but always room for a sensible Bouncer.

Obviously we will stick you in the nut jobs category. One more makes little difference.
If you have any sensible mates (unlikely) get them (him) to sign up.

Reactions: Stu
You should visit more often.
Our quotas of nut jobs is over subscribed but always room for a sensible Bouncer.

Obviously we will stick you in the nut jobs category. One more makes little difference.
If you have any sensible mates (unlikely) get them (him) to sign up.
Indeed.
Were one big happy Family.....

Ever tried audiobooks?
I know some who can't focus long enough to get through a chunk, but prefer listening.
Doesn't work as well for me because I'll end up doing other things while it's on, or I don't remember stuff from earlier chapters because I think I take more in by reading it.
But they've got loads of downloaded from amazon.
Think you get a load of books for free if you've got prime

Been battering through a few John Niven novels last couple of weeks, Scottish boy and ex manager of Mogwai I think, nothing too serious but am finding them enjoyable

Genesis P is now a she.

S/he died last year.

Or as I think Genesis would like it...( and there is no reason not to refer to someone as they would prefer to be referred to) ... they died last year.

S/he died last year.

Or as I think Genesis would like it...( and there is no reason not to refer to someone as they would prefer to be referred to) ... they died last year.

I liked Genesis - but Cosey Fanni Tutti seems to have a different opinion which will potentially lead me to reassess my thoughts when I finally read everything she has to say about him/her!

Considering if you are maybe having a struggle with concentration and immersing yourself in a book have you considered a book or two of short stories so that you can back to your reading in smaller steps? A few years ago after some trauma I lost the ability to 'get into' reading books and enjoying them as I'd always done and this helped me. I also figured out that I did more 'real' reading at bedtime and so bought a tablet so that I could read backlit text. (I know there are disavantages in looking at screens before sleeping so there can be a trade-off for some.

A book of short stories I'd like to recommend was written many years ago and the title story made into an intriguing kitchen sink drama of the day. It's 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' by the late Alan Sillitoe. It comprises nine shrt stories, each and every one of them a shining little gem, which have predominantly timeless themes.
Also the name of an Iron Maiden song

Also the name of an Iron Maiden song
Never knew that, ta!

I think I have to read that yet, will check later.

I had and found it ok. It’s a song for the dark times I cannae get into.

Nice to see you back mate. You still into your running?

I like psychobabble. Interested in recommendations for that?

jackie Plenderleith book looks a cracker - he’s one of the oldest living Scottish internationals as well as ex hibs.
Jackie used to own a golf shop in Dunoon back in the late seventies. Never new about the book!

If you like Biographies of Rock,Viv Albertine's Boys Boys Boys, Clothes Clothes Clothes, Rock Rock Rock is very good. Steve Jone's' Lonely Boy is revalatory, John Lydon's Anger is an Energy is at points honest, at points dishonest.At one point it almost flew across the room to hit the wall.Lydon is Lydon, the Marmite of rock.
Got them all!

I wouldn't recommend the recent TV series that came out.It wasn't only my mum was complaining 'Eh?Can't hear what he's saying!'.
The TV series was poor and was slated for its sound production.

I'm going to recommend a couple of books that I loved but will state that I'm slightly bias as the author is a pal of mine and was a great friend of my brother (who was Hibs mad but sadly now passed).

The author is Calum Bruce and he is a massive Hibee fae Perth.

The Best Night Out in Town is about Calum's love of the Pogues and his escapades of a life time following them (hilarioius)

Hibs and The Pogues: Double A-Side marries up his adventures -

"The Hibs and The Pogues. What more could you want?" – Irvine Welsh

One man’s flight through life, with his main passions being Hibernian FC and The Pogues. But it doesn’t stop there. Schooldays, relationships, gambling, the catering industry, Big Les Rennie and lots of fish. He doesn’t hold anything back. An unashamed moan about how things used to be through this fifty year old’s eyes. It’s rude and it’s crude, and it will have you laughing your socks off.

Nice to see you back mate. You still into your running?
Cheers Kev, nice to be here, enjoying it. Haven't been able to run in a while due to a knee problem. Hopefully going to give it another go soon.

I'm going to recommend a couple of books that I loved but will state that I'm slightly bias as the author is a pal of mine and was a great friend of my brother (who was Hibs mad but sadly now passed).

The author is Calum Bruce and he is a massive Hibee fae Perth.

The Best Night Out in Town is about Calum's love of the Pogues and his escapades of a life time following them (hilarioius)

Hibs and The Pogues: Double A-Side marries up his adventures -

"The Hibs and The Pogues. What more could you want?" – Irvine Welsh

One man’s flight through life, with his main passions being Hibernian FC and The Pogues. But it doesn’t stop there. Schooldays, relationships, gambling, the catering industry, Big Les Rennie and lots of fish. He doesn’t hold anything back. An unashamed moan about how things used to be through this fifty year old’s eyes. It’s rude and it’s crude, and it will have you laughing your socks off.

will check those out thanks

Antony Beevor’s Stalingrad is an immense if sobering read.

Antony Beevor’s Stalingrad is an immense if sobering read.
For the want of a better word how "readable" is it?
Read one of his ww2 books and it was drier than a nuns front bottom

As is well documented on here I've struggled with my mental health,I've noticed several things that I used to do that raised my mood.
The one thing I haven't got back into is books,used to be a voracious reader but now I struggle.
So recommendations.
A novel
An autobiography/biography
And factual history.
I look forward to any response

Anything by Walter Tevis. Even if you don't know his name you'll know his work through film and TV adaptations: The Queen's Gambit, The Hustler, The Colour of Money, The Man Who Fell To Earth. The novels are all brilliant. Real page turners but top class writing too that the adaptations couldn't surpass. The ending of The Queen's Gambit novel for instance was so much more thoughtful, ambivalent, and not glitzy at all, compared to the TV series which to be fair was great and an otherwise faithful adaptation.

Biog note: when Tevis got the royalty cheque for Paul Newman's movie The Hustler he went on a 10 month bender in Mexico. Most of his books have anti-heroes who are flawed geniuses who try to destroy themselves on booze and drugs. All versions of himself to an extent. Tevis's wife was Scottish. Just saying.

This thread has been viewed 2604 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50