Books

SUPPORT THE SITE!
Sept Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £51.37

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
As is well documented on here I've struggled with my mental health,I've noticed several things that I used to do that raised my mood.
The one thing I haven't got back into is books,used to be a voracious reader but now I struggle.
So recommendations.
A novel
An autobiography/biography
And factual history.
I look forward to any response

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
As is well documented on here I've struggled with my mental health,I've noticed several things that I used to do that raised my mood.
The one thing I haven't got back into is books,used to be a voracious reader but now I struggle.
So recommendations.
A novel
And factual history.
If you're looking for something really light to get you back into reading I'd heartily recommend the DCI Logan series by JD Kirk. Don't get me wrong, the actual crimes in it are pretty brutal but the writing style is really light hearted and I can find myself up till all hours reading them whereas usually if I try to read a book in bed I'm asleep within a page and a half.

There's about a dozen of them and they're mostly £2.99 each on kindle.

brianmc

Well-Known Radge
So recommendations.
A novel
And factual history.
Have a bash at Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time - and let me know how you get on. I've tried it on several occasions and never made it past chapter 4 due to brain hurt ☹️

Admin
If you like history I highly recommend CJ Sansom’s Shardlake series or SJ Parris’s Bruno Giordano books. Ian Rankin can do little wrong in my eyes, if you like dark Italian thrillers try Valerio Varesi or Michele Giuttari, both are good.

Every second or so book I read is about Spain, pure escapism. Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas is superb as is Cathedral of the Sea and the Hand of Fatima by Ildefonso Falcones.

Hibee Kev

Legendary Radge
Don't read half as much as I used to but the last 3 books I've read have all been decent. All pretty light reading:

Hellraisers: The Life and Inebriated Times of Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole, and Oliver Reed by Robert Sellers
Alan Partridge: Nomad
Standing in Another Man's Grave - Ian Rankin

Zab

Admin
I’d agree with 1875 on Ian Rankin, his work is always a good read.

If you’re looking for easy reading action/thriller stuff you can’t go wrong with Lee Child’s books.

Scoundrels by Duncan Crowe and James Peak is brilliant and very funny.

Don Winslow wrote and excellent trilogy of books set across a 30 year period about the war on drugs - The Power of the Dog, The Cartel, The Border.

The Godfather by Mario Puzo is a classic.

Weehibbydrew

Mussel-bound Radge
So many books I'd love to be able to read again for the first time. Just glancing at the shelves behind me, Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis; To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee; Watership Down, Richard Adams; Islands in the Stream, Ernest Hemingway. Also anything by PG Wodehouse.
For crime novels, I like Dick Francis (horse racing) and Donna Leon (Venice).
For biography, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.
For history, I found Hitler, A Study in Tyranny by Alan Bullock fascinating.

Green juventine

Well-Known Radge
If you grew up in Edinburgh and are late 50s try Dear Alfonso by Mary Contini.
Its about a young Italian boy before the outbreak of ww2 who comes to Edinburgh marries a Scots Italian girl and becomes part of the Valvona &Crolla empire.
Flits between Italy and Scotland.
You don’t have to be Italian to enjoy it,it’s a real feel good book took me back to my childhood in Edinburgh and the times I spent in Italy.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
If you grew up in Edinburgh and are late 50s try Dear Alfonso by Mary Contini.
Its about a young Italian boy before the outbreak of ww2 who comes to Edinburgh marries a Scots Italian girl and becomes part of the Valvona &Crolla empire.
Flits between Italy and Scotland.
You don’t have to be Italian to enjoy it,it’s a real feel good book took me back to my childhood in Edinburgh and the times I spent in Italy.
Mary is the late Carlo’s daughter in law? Used to be a food journalist?

sounds good. Carlo was a lovely guy.

emerald green

Well-Known Radge
So recommendations.
A novel
And factual history.
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
The God Delusion or the Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
Jerusalem The biography by Simon Sebag Montefiore
Ryan69 is a Slaver by The Bounce Massive

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
If you like history I highly recommend CJ Sansom’s Shardlake series or SJ Parris’s Bruno Giordano books. Ian Rankin can do little wrong in my eyes, if you like dark Italian thrillers try Valerio Varesi or Michele Giuttari, both are good.

Every second or so book I read is about Spain, pure escapism. Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas is superb as is Cathedral of the Sea and the Hand of Fatima by Ildefonso Falcones.
Think we spoke about this before M,I've read and loved Rankins books for years but the most recent one I read I just couldn't get into it and gave up

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here