• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Youth team/system

Interesting chat about David Wotherspoon on the Sportsound podcast from 5th of August.

Richard Forester described him as the best player at St J, bosses training, should be playing in England but... No confidence in his own ability which holds him back. Common problem with a lot of talented youngsters we produced around then I reckon (Spoony, Booth, Handling, Harris, Stanton, Caldwell). Makes you wonder if the mental side of the game was addressed enough in the academy?

Interesting chat about David Wotherspoon on the Sportsound podcast from 5th of August.

Richard Forester described him as the best player at St J, bosses training, should be playing in England but... No confidence in his own ability which holds him back. Common problem with a lot of talented youngsters we produced around then I reckon (Spoony, Booth, Handling, Harris, Stanton, Caldwell). Makes you wonder if the mental side of the game was addressed enough in the academy?

I think it’s fair to say that the football side felt we could do the psychological side better post Butcher. We brought in a full time sports psychologist but I don’t know if he’s still at the club post covid.

The job of the youth system is to get them close to being able to get some time first team and see them push on from there. This system has not done that talk all the nice words you want about the setup it was failing in all the measurable areas unless we were training championship and lower players for other team.

Was convinced Spoony was the next big thing when he came through. Harris was just a softy, Handling maybe overconfident when some daft C gave him an extra long deal when he’d not done anything of note. I’d have remembered if he had as my memories of him are being lightweight and slow as fuk. Liked a peeve and carry on more than knuckling down maybe.

Booth looked a real prospect and had ample opportunity at various clubs but just never progressed past real early promise. Stanton maybe the same as he looked really good at first.

Maybe you’re right. Im not convinced our academy/youth set up is as good as it should be at developing talent.

Didn't Hughes give Wotherspoon a hard time? Or is that stories?
I quite liked Spoony, could've done with better direction developing in the first team, ended up filling in as a fullback at least 1/3rd of his game time..
Played a blinder one Friday night at Fir Park though, was definitely a player in there.

This thread has been viewed 4884 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back