Would it have been different?

stickyRicky

Muirhouse Radge
I know, he couldn't score in a brothel, but looked like he was playing wide left when playing against us. Wouldn't say he looked like a world beater, but definitely better that Drey Wright.

Aye but were talking about players not putting in the effort. He was a lazy bastard most games.

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
Just listened to what Alan Stubbs said afterwards on TV. He's right.... A Scott Allan would have made a difference. And I agree with Hibs legend Mickey Weir said that with that midfield selection Jack Ross hoped to nick it as opposed to going out to win it.

Greenmachine

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Just listened to what Alan Stubbs said afterwards on TV. He's right.... A Scott Allan would have made a difference. And I agree with Hibs legend Mickey Weir said that with that midfield selection Jack Ross hoped to nick it as opposed to going out to win it.
Scott Allan has been a massive miss for Hibs this season, and like yourself I agree with Alan Stubbs that he would have helped us on Saturday had he been fully fit and able to play. This is the problem when you only have one player in your squad who can do a particular job in the team.

I read Mickey Weir's article in the EEN and I agree with every word he said.

moathibby

Legendary Radge
I think a while ago I suggested pairing Jackson up with Newell in front of Gogic. After about two games I didn't think it was working and I wouldn't have kept doing it. Everyone keeps saying 'this is Ross's strongest team' without really looking at the games against St Johnstone. For me Newell isn't an 'Up and at em' type. Both Murphy and Hallberg have more of a fight in them. Ok, I readily admit I'm no tactical genius but I would have tried something other than 'the usual team'.

Bofahibee

Well-Known Radge
I think a while ago I suggested pairing Jackson up with Newell in front of Gogic. After about two games I didn't think it was working and I wouldn't have kept doing it. Everyone keeps saying 'this is Ross's strongest team' without really looking at the games against St Johnstone. For me Newell isn't an 'Up and at em' type. Both Murphy and Hallberg have more of a fight in them. Ok, I readily admit I'm no tactical genius but I would have tried something other than 'the usual team'.
Just a thought. Is managership sometimes not so much about selecting the strongest team but about selecting the team that will win the game?

MSG_07

Well-Known Radge
Given the amount of games Jamie Murphy missed through injury, the run of poor form Martin Boyle experienced at times, and the general lack of attacking options from the bench, hindsight would suggest that we should have kept Daryl Horgan. I thought he was a good player, and we should have tried harder to keep him.
I liked Horgan too but he was a 60 minute player before he was out of puff. His crossing seemed to get worse as time went on. A bit odd in a way we brought Murphy in who was older. I think the offer to Hibs was too appealing and he was given probably treble or more his wages. Ideally would like to see a Hibs side with 4/5 wingers/fullbacks that have a bit of pace.

Reactions: Zab

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
Jackson Irvine would be the one I dropped.

Let's be honest our midfield were pish. I'm not overly enthusiastic about any of them. Scott Allan fit is exceptional. Newell on his day very good but he looks to pick too few days. Jackson Irvine I just don't get? Looks puggled. Can't pass or shoot. Has his legs gone? Gogic a decent spoiler at times but he's no Bartlay or Jack.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
Let's be honest our midfield were pish. I'm not overly enthusiastic about any of them. Scott Allan fit is exceptional. Newell on his day very good but he looks to pick too few days. Jackson Irvine I just don't get? Looks puggled. Can't pass or shoot. Has his legs gone? Gogic a decent spoiler at times but he's no Bartlay or Jack.

I cant understand why we started with Irvine playing proper left, instead of further inside, where I thought he had been playing recent? Wasted.

He can do better, but he's no different from what we've got now imo. I wouldn't be upset if he didn't sign on.

Gogic needs competition for his spot, from someone who actually plays in his spot.
Newell is the safe midfield option, neat and tidy but doesn't drive the team up the park. Which is fine providing you have other players to do so.
The only way Newell works, for me, is if we have wingers, a midfielder or attacker willing to pick up, turn and drive.

Still outrageously unbalanced in there, I thought Irvine would be the one running on the ball when he came. He's technically better than the rest, just haven't got to see it on any kind of regularity.

Bobby_Combe

Just A Radge
I don't think any of the players you've listed initially would have made a blind bit of difference and I'm not sorry all of them have left. I think if we played Mcgregor at centre half and had Marvin Bartley in the middle it might have made a difference but we'll never know
Bartley's leaving has really annoyed me. I can see no rationale to justify it. He's a good player, strong physically and a strong character too. The fact that the Tynecastle racists singled him out for special abuse says it all.

McGregor has knee problems, but he could (and IMO should) have played more games. Those two as Captain and Vice-Captain - I'm totally easy about who gets which place - might very well have made a difference. Couldn't have been any worse.

Keithd1875

Just A Radge
Bartley's leaving has really annoyed me. I can see no rationale to justify it. He's a good player, strong physically and a strong character too. The fact that the Tynecastle racists singled him out for special abuse says it all.

McGregor has knee problems, but he could (and IMO should) have played more games. Those two as Captain and Vice-Captain - I'm totally easy about who gets which place - might very well have made a difference. Couldn't have been any worse.
Think milligan was supposed to be an upgrade on Bartley - never saw it myself I thought he was fuckin pish but to let them both go without replacing them was criminal - hecky masterstroke. Or was josh vela supposed to be their replacement 🤣🤣. The party line at the time re Bartley was his legs had gone - utter bullshit it was because he was playing 1 game every 4/5 weeks he needs to be playing regularly just like SDG - I don't agree he's done either but if he's going to get brought in once every couple of months of course he's going to struggle. Mcginn had a good season (Cup final apart) but I know who I'd rather have at right back and it's not just based on sentiment either

Bobby_Combe

Just A Radge
Think milligan was supposed to be an upgrade on Bartley - never saw it myself I thought he was fuckin pish but to let them both go without replacing them was criminal - hecky masterstroke. Or was josh vela supposed to be their replacement 🤣🤣. The party line at the time re Bartley was his legs had gone - utter bullshit it was because he was playing 1 game every 4/5 weeks he needs to be playing regularly just like SDG - I don't agree he's done either but if he's going to get brought in once every couple of months of course he's going to struggle. McGinn had a good season (Cup final apart) but I know who I'd rather have at right back and it's not just based on sentiment either
Agree. The guys who go on and on are guys who get regular games. Marv was never on the slide - he's played plenty games since Heckinbum got rid. There's a documentary on BBCi about racism in football - basically saying that it's all very well 'taking the knee' before KO and putting a few banners up, but the problem really lies in social media and bigots using Twitter and Instagram etc to harass and abuse specific targets - as the Gunts did to Marvin. He's on it, and is very impressive, intelligent, articulate, and clearly very angry. Darren's a Hibee through and through - bleeds green and white. On the bench at least every time he's fit, and playing as often as he can. I think it's bleedin' obvious myself.

Just one thought - Hibs' captain when I started following them was John McNamee. Then there was Pat Stanton. Then there was Jackie McNamara. And later Franck Sauzee. And Rob Jones. When they were playing there was absolutely no doubt who the leader on the pitch was. And yes, I know they were all outstanding players. But the 'captain' quality was obvious - and 'captain quality' is a separate issue from 'being the best player'. We'll never get players as good as those guys these days - they don't exist in Scotland, and if they did we couldn't afford them. But IMO we need to get a proper leader on the field, and a lot more fire into the team, or we'll end up deflated and disappointed again this time next year.

PS - I've wondered for some time whether dear Heckinbum just didn't like black players .... :5:

Last edited:
Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here