• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Who Is Your All Time Favourite Winger At Hibs?

Smurf

Private Member
Reaction score
For me there's just something absolutely magical about a winger running at a defender. Knowing that past his man he'll ping it into the box....

And more so the second half "down the slope" that's now gone in front of a packed "terracing" in the East Stand.

How I miss it. And this morning I've been going through the wingers at Hibs in my time going to see Hibs regularly since I was 10 in 1983.

My earliest memory of a winger at Hibs was seeing Arthur Duncan score in my first ever Hibs game in 1981. I know he was coming towards the end of his career as a winger but I recall the anticipation as he got the ball from the crowd in the freezing cauld holding my hot Bovril with no lid....

I'm struggling to think of another winger until Hibs signed Joe McBride from Oldham IIRC for 20K around 1984. I don't really remember him beating too many defenders or going past them? I more remember free kicks and corners from him?

Then there was Joe Tortolano. I actually loved him as he appeared to not know what he was going to do himself with the ball! Though he could produce magic going past folk then whip in a cross that was more likely to hit the electric scoreboard that was never switched on at the top of the cowshed. (I've always thought Pierce O'Leary damaged it...).

I think the first proper winger for me was Mickey Weir. Being honest though I sometimes think we thought he was better than he was? On his day though he was capable of brilliance. And his contribution thirty years ago (how the fuck did that happen??!!) helping us to win the Scottish League Cup was immense.

Next on the scene was unquestionably my favourite winger at Hibs. Kevin McAllister. For me this guy was exceptional. I thought this Hibs team with him, Michael O'Neill, Darren Jackson and Keith Wright was a seriously good team. Crunchie was a great Hibs player. And let go far too soon by Jim Duffy....

He who gave us Paul. Tosh. 200K for him and Lee Power. A double signing that I feel gives much credence to the then rumours...

Tony Rougier was inconsistent but I thought on his day a player. In a struggling side though his body language could be awful.

Is my memory playing tricks with me but we didn't really play with a winger under GJP? Or indeed Boaby 'Moonface' Williamson?

Then under Tony Mowbray we were given "What's he going to fuckin do?" Ivan Sproule. He was a fantastic player for us. Him running at a defender was something else. He comes a close second for me as my favourite Hibs winger.

Under John Collins, Mixu Paatelainen, John Hughes, Colin Calderwood, Pat Fenlon and Terry Butcher I'm struggling to think of any wingers? Alex Harris gave us huge hope but sadly it never materialised. Though of course Rod Petrie signed Ivan Sproule back under the hopeless Colin Calderwood.

And then of course Alan Stubbs got us Martin Boyle from Dundee. He can be frustrating but he's definitely my third favourite winger. On his day he's capable of brilliance.

Have I missed anyone?

Just one.
Ryan69.
Never seen a right winger like him before.

For me there's just something absolutely magical about a winger running at a defender. Knowing that past his man he'll ping it into the box....

And more so the second half "down the slope" that's now gone in front of a packed "terracing" in the East Stand.

How I miss it. And this morning I've been going through the wingers at Hibs in my time going to see Hibs regularly since I was 10 in 1983.

My earliest memory of a winger at Hibs was seeing Arthur Duncan score in my first ever Hibs game in 1981. I know he was coming towards the end of his career as a winger but I recall the anticipation as he got the ball from the crowd in the freezing cauld holding my hot Bovril with no lid....

I'm struggling to think of another winger until Hibs signed Joe McBride from Oldham IIRC for 20K around 1984. I don't really remember him beating too many defenders or going past them? I more remember free kicks and corners from him?

Then there was Joe Tortolano. I actually loved him as he appeared to not know what he was going to do himself with the ball! Though he could produce magic going past folk then whip in a cross that was more likely to hit the electric scoreboard that was never switched on at the top of the cowshed. (I've always thought Pierce O'Leary damaged it...).

I think the first proper winger for me was Mickey Weir. Being honest though I sometimes think we thought he was better than he was? On his day though he was capable of brilliance. And his contribution thirty years ago (how the fuck did that happen??!!) helping us to win the Scottish League Cup was immense.

Next on the scene was unquestionably my favourite winger at Hibs. Kevin McAllister. For me this guy was exceptional. I thought this Hibs team with him, Michael O'Neill, Darren Jackson and Keith Wright was a seriously good team. Crunchie was a great Hibs player. And let go far too soon by Jim Duffy....

He who gave us Paul. Tosh. 200K for him and Lee Power. A double signing that I feel gives much credence to the then rumours...

Tony Rougier was inconsistent but I thought on his day a player. In a struggling side though his body language could be awful.

Is my memory playing tricks with me but we didn't really play with a winger under GJP? Or indeed Boaby 'Moonface' Williamson?

Then under Tony Mowbray we were given "What's he going to fuckin do?" Ivan Sproule. He was a fantastic player for us. Him running at a defender was something else. He comes a close second for me as my favourite Hibs winger.

Under John Collins, Mixu Paatelainen, John Hughes, Colin Calderwood, Pat Fenlon and Terry Butcher I'm struggling to think of any wingers? Alex Harris gave us huge hope but sadly it never materialised. Though of course Rod Petrie signed Ivan Sproule back under the hopeless Colin Calderwood.

And then of course Alan Stubbs got us Martin Boyle from Dundee. He can be frustrating but he's definitely my third favourite winger. On his day he's capable of brilliance.

Have I missed anyone?
Erm Alan O'Brien

Erm Alan O'Brien
No wonder I forgot....

Just one.
Ryan69.
Never seen a right winger like him before.
Winger Sir, no wanker.

Hartley. Most could see his ability but it didn’t work out for him at Hibs then he changed position.

McAllister for me as well.

Probably goes without saying (in most cases) that the ones without blinding pace are better at beating a man and of producing a better final ball.

Older Bouncers will say, without question, Gordon Smith. Too early for me, but I fondly remember Peter Marinello. Nijinksy was the most exciting I've seen.

Arthur Duncan
Mickey Weir
Kevin McAllister

in that order....

I am a child of the Turnbull's Tornadoes era, mines are:

Arthur Duncan (her went on to be my Chiropodist and I spent many an appointment discussing Hibs.
Ivan Sproule
Mickey Weir

Arthur Duncan, Alex Edwards and Micky Weir for me. Not in any order.

I am a child of the Turnbull's Tornadoes era, mines are:

Arthur Duncan (her went on to be my Chiropodist and I spent many an appointment discussing Hibs.
Ivan Sproule
Mickey Weir
A colleague of mine, and big Hibs fan, went to an alarm activation at Arthur’s cottage in Breich (before he emigrated to NZ). Went in to check and the place was full of medals and memorabilia. He didn’t know who’s house it was until Arthur turned up.

A colleague of mine, and big Hibs fan, went to an alarm activation at Arthur’s cottage in Breich (before he emigrated to NZ). Went in to check and the place was full of medals and memorabilia. He didn’t know who’s house it was until Arthur turned up.

He used to run his clinic in Breich, it was there we would blether. Indeed he told me he was emigrating to be closer to his daughter.

Did he dae Arthur for Breich of the peace?

Ivan for me, most of the named ones I've never seen play.

Derek Riordan played on the wing for a period, he was worth watching cutting in from the left.

Arthur Duncan had the pace ,and the crossing ability.
Scored a few as well.
Crunchie was a good watch.
But the guy who got me off the seat most was Ivan.
Unpredictable, but there was always a sense of anticipation when he got the ball.

Arthur Duncan
Mickey Weir
Ivan Sproule

Just before the opening post's time, Eric Stevenson was a great player for Hibs on the left wing. Formed a handy partnership with penalty-taking fullback Joe Davis, Eric won them, Joe scored them.
Arthur Duncan scored a lot of goals for a winger, he could play effectively through the middle too.
Although everything looks rosier through the mists of time I think I would pick Martin Boyle ahead of any of the other wingers I've seen in 53 years of watching Hibs.

Erm Alan O'Brien
Oh, please. "Ivan Sproule on a motor-bike". Aye, right.

Has nobody mentioned Eric Stevenson? Fast, strong, great control. The first year I was allowed to go to games, our captain and left-back Joe Davis was second-top scorer with (IIRC) 15 goals. I believe they were all penalties won by Stevie, and he wasn't a diver; he was very quick, very direct, and the full-backs just couldn't handle him. Very fond memories of Stevie.

Arthur Duncan was a really class act - he was sometimes portrayed as a brainless speed-merchant, but he was a very skillful player who could cross the ball beautifully. There were times, admittedly, when he either ran out of pitch or blootered the ball out the ground, but he had a long career at ER and contributed to a lot of great moments. One memory was of an 'assist' he gave Alan Gordon against Aberdeen about a month after the '72 League Cup win. He had the ball down in the corner; he got clear of the defender and lobbed a lovely pass back towards AG in the 'D'. It reached AG about waist height in perfect position and AG did his flying header thing - horizontal in the air as he met the ball - and the ball went past Bobby Clark and in at the far post. Brilliant header from AG, but it was a beautiful delicate pass from Arfur.

Just before the opening post's time, Eric Stevenson was a great player for Hibs on the left wing. Formed a handy partnership with penalty-taking fullback Joe Davis, Eric won them, Joe scored them.
Arthur Duncan scored a lot of goals for a winger, he could play effectively through the middle too.
Although everything looks rosier through the mists of time I think I would pick Martin Boyle ahead of any of the other wingers I've seen in 53 years of watching Hibs.
You beat me to it, mate.

But you're right, us auld yins need to remember - things always seem better in retrospect. The longer ago they happened, the better they look. :hi5:

Felipe Morais or Tony Rougier..

Mickey Weir my favourite for 91 followed by Ivan

Right winger playing down the slope ..I do miss the football

Older Bouncers will say, without question, Gordon Smith. Too early for me, but I fondly remember Peter Marinello. Nijinksy was the most exciting I've seen.

I don't think too many people who saw Gordon Smith are still above ground, sadly, but my father-in-law worked for British Rail, and he worked his shifts as best as he possibly could to be in Edinburgh Saturday dinnertimes so he could go down to ER to watch GS. The first time I spoke to Bill was on the phone. He wanted to know if he could come out to the house to see us. It was Saturday about 5.00pm, and he asked me about the football results. Without thinking I went through the list, first off telling him that 'the Beasts got beat'. 'Aye,' he says, 'Dundee are playing no bad the now.' Dundee had done Rangers 3-2 at Dens. I asked him how he knew I was talking about that game, and he answered, 'The Beasts is what we always called them at Easter Road.' He had some great memories of Gordon Smith, and he was always adamant that he had never seen another footballer to equal him. My father said the same.

Happiness is having a father-in-law who follows the same football team as you do. Bill was from Glasgow, btw - what I would call a Cultured and Intelligent Weegie. There is the odd one here and there. ;-)

Mickey Weir was the first real winger I remember watching, but Ivan Sproule is my favourite.

Felipe Morais or Tony Rougier..

Mickey Weir my favourite for 91 followed by Ivan

Right winger playing down the slope ..I do miss the football
It doesn't have to be a right winger down the slope.
My all time favourite was a right back , but if you'd walked into a game when Onion had the ball at his feet charging doon the slope....

Have I missed anyone?

Kevin Harper. Too good for Hibs and moved on.

Ivan.

What a player.

You beat me to it, mate.

But you're right, us auld yins need to remember - things always seem better in retrospect. The longer ago they happened, the better they look. :hi5:
The Alan Gordon goal you described is somewhere on YouTube, I will try to find it

The Alan Gordon goal you described is somewhere on YouTube, I will try to find it
It's 2 mins 20 seconds in on this video

Ivan.

What a player.
When Ivan got the ball the whole East Stand used to get on their feet in unison.
I remember a cup game against Arbroath I think it was.
Ivan got the ball around halfway, took it for a spin around 3 or 4 opponents, into the box , keeper to beat ....
And put it over the bar into the FF.
The Arbroath left back said something to Ivan and they both had a laugh about it.

Weir
Sproule
Boyle

I know the Squirrel has been off it a bit lately but at his best he is the sort of player that gets bums off seats. He'll be remembered fondly.

The other two need no explanation other than the fact I'm 38 and can't remember anyone before the early 90s that well.

I don't think too many people who saw Gordon Smith are still above ground, sadly, but my father-in-law worked for British Rail, and he worked his shifts as best as he possibly could to be in Edinburgh Saturday dinnertimes so he could go down to ER to watch GS. The first time I spoke to Bill was on the phone. He wanted to know if he could come out to the house to see us. It was Saturday about 5.00pm, and he asked me about the football results. Without thinking I went through the list, first off telling him that 'the Beasts got beat'. 'Aye,' he says, 'Dundee are playing no bad the now.' Dundee had done Huns 3-2 at Dens. I asked him how he knew I was talking about that game, and he answered, 'The Beasts is what we always called them at Easter Road.' He had some great memories of Gordon Smith, and he was always adamant that he had never seen another footballer to equal him. My father said the same.

Happiness is having a father-in-law who follows the same football team as you do. Bill was from Glasgow, btw - what I would call a Cultured and Intelligent Weegie. There is the odd one here and there. ;-)

My dad saw the great Gordon Smith, his first game attended was 1950, still has a season ticket and was on the pitch at hampden that day in may, wee bit of turf performing well in garden at Porty..

I loved Eric Stevenson. I was just a youngster but it always seemed to me like he took the ball into the box then basically waited to get brought down.

I loved Stevenson too.But for me it is Duncan and Edwards.The Tornadoes will always be my favourite period.

An honerable mention to Didier Agathe.

An honerable mention to Didier Agathe.
Somebody is going to say he was really an inside right.

Before my time but Bobby Johnstone must have been pretty handy?

Best winger I ever saw Jinky Johnstone.

Crunchie for me, seemed able to get a cross in no matter what the pressure was.

You can keep Mickey Weir, never seem to get the final ball right, despite having done the hard part and beating his man

Crunchie for me, seemed able to get a cross in no matter what the pressure was.

You can keep Mickey Weir, never seem to get the final ball right, despite having done the hard part and beating his man
He got it spot on when he dropped it onto KeithKeithKeith’s napper v the Huns at Hampden.

Andy Andy show us yer medals.....

He got it spot on when he dropped it onto KeithKeithKeith’s napper v the Huns at Hampden.

Andy Andy show us yer medals.....

and through ball for clincher in the final

Jim Scott, Eric Stevenson, Peter Marinello

This thread has been viewed 2771 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back