• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

What was your favourite Easter Road?

What was your Favourite Easter Road

• The old Stadium, old main stand, benched cowshed and uncovered East Terrace

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Easter Road in Development 1986 - 2001 from an open terrace to largely all seated

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Easter Road 2001 - 2010 All seated but retaining the seated East Terrace

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • The Current All Seated Easter Road from 2011 Onwards

Votes: 26 35.1%

• Total voters

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Roll up, I'm interested to hear what is your favourite version of Easter Road?

Voted for the old stadium, with all those perfect imperfections, including the slope

1986-2001. Great times and memories under that TV gantry in the East Terracing.

However, there's no denying the current stadium is cracking.

I showed my age and said I like the current stadium best. Back in the day and as a daft laddie, the old Stadium, old main stand, benched cowshed and uncovered East Terracing was magic.

The one where the corners are filled-in and the stickies only get one corner

The old one.Apart from the bogs.

Mind you I quite appreciate sitting down these days.The legs aren't what they were.

Mind you I quite appreciate sitting down these days.The legs aren't what they were.

On the bog or at the match (or both?).

At the match. Depending on how many Guinness I've imbibed I tend to make several visits to the bogs. So try and go about ten minutes before half time to avoid the queue.

The stadium as it is now.
It is an excellent venue.
If only the fitba matched it!

I would have voted for the old, old stadium before the seats went in the cowshed, the old floodlights, the towering East terrace, someone pissing down someone else's leg when the whole thing was packed. Peering over the shoulder of the guy in front to see what letters on the old scoreboard referred to which games. Pies with grease as hot as molten lava down your chin, jacket, troosers.
Get your macaroon bars here!

Voted for it as it is now.

At the match. Depending on how many Guinness I've imbibed I tend to make several visits to the bogs. So try and go about ten minutes before half time to avoid the queue.
I’ve never understood why people go to a football game only to miss part of it queueing up for food

Queueing up for a piss is a different story.

Tough choice. Went with 2001-2010 but could easily be any of the others for different reasons.

6347D700-E139-4C08-83C1-68BF14A77D89.jpeg

2001-10, although I'm a child of the Cowshed, which brings nothing but fond memories.

I think Hibs missed a trick with the new East, we had a chance to do something a wee bit different to make our home even more unique, I suggested at the time to have a sloping design South to North, as a nod to the old pitch. A bit of forward thinking so part of it could be made safe standing if/when it happens.

ER looks impressive though, especially from the Firth of Forth, some amazing photos from that angle.

Last edited:
It was my favourite place in the world when I first went in the 70s - perfectly imperfect.

Ive loved it a little less with every subsequent redevelopment.

I value my life very much and would never want to sit in that old rotting wooden stand at Easter Road ever again.?

It was an absolute scandal that for years supporters were forced to put their lives at risk and sit in an enclosed area from which there was no escape route to the pitchside until some emergency stairs were forced upon all clubs post the Bradford disaster.

Even then you were still at risk of death or serious injury amongst smokers discarding old fags onto crumbling floorboards and facing locked doors on the exits back on to Albion Road and surrounding streets.

I have nothing but contempt for the way all Scottish football fans were treated in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's by lazy, greedy directors and incompetent and uninterested local authorities.?

It only changed due to a series of completely avoidable disasters at Ibrox, Bradford, Heysell and Hillsborough and hundreds of deaths of innocent supporters.??

The modern stadium is very safe, functional with decent facilities and good sight lines and the only thing I would change about it would be to install a terracing area for those that like to stand and create atmosphere.

Pick any Bundesliga I or II club as a role model as its really not difficult.✅

Last edited:
Original , i'll never forget seeing the pitch for the first time after the long climb up the East terracing stairs in 1974 or sheltering under the tv gantry watching Hibs beat a great Liverpool side in the pishing rain

2ADF84DF-576A-4E54-B492-7A2EEC682ECA.jpeg

Found this in my scrapbook from 1999 - an artistic impression of one of the considerations on next ER developments (before West build).

2001 to 2010.

Probably because I was 19 to 28 during that time period, full of it, and watching good football rather than a great appreciation of the the old East. Though I did enjoy the old East.

I have some brill memories from all but I love the current stadium, it really is a bit of class.
GGTTH

I value my life very much and would never want to sit in that old rotting wooden stand at Easter Road ever again.?

It was an absolute scandal that for years supporters were forced to put their lives at risk and sit in an enclosed area from which there was no escape route to the pitchside until some emergency stairs were forced upon all clubs post the Bradford disaster.

Even then you were still at risk of death or serious injury amongst smokers discarding old fags onto crumbling floorboards and facing locked doors on the exits back on to Albion Road and surrounding streets.

I have nothing but contempt for the way all Scottish football fans were treated in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's by lazy, greedy directors and incompetent and uninterested local authorities.?

It only changed due to a series of completely avoidable disasters at Ibrox, Bradford, Heysell and Hillsborough and hundreds of deaths of innocent supporters.??

The modern stadium is very safe, functional with decent facilities and good sight lines and the only thing I would change about it would be to install a terracing area for those that like to stand and create atmosphere.

Pick any Bundesliga I or II club as a role model as its really not difficult.✅
Nobody was ever forced to sit in an unsafe stand.You weren't going to your work. But I agree with you it was unsafe for decades.

I liked the coo shed before it was seated.
Also the days when fans ‘changed ends’ too. Half time entertainment was swapping punches as we passed by.
Bit of excitement there.

Voted for the old stadium with the high East terracing. That was the ER I was brought up with and all through my time as a bairn and well into my teens. I used to love that climb up the steps and on the way up encountering the guy selling the "macaroon bars and spearment chewing gum". Also the guy selling the Golden Goal tickets (remember them ?). Got soaked loads of times standing on those terraces and it was freezing in winter but somehow it didn't matter if the Hibees were winning.

Having said all that the current stadium is fantastic. The best outside of Glasgow that's for sure, and worthy of the club's status.

Last edited:
Seemed to be the same guy selling macaroons every week. I was disgusted at an away game , Motherwell I think when some (Hibs) neds roughed him up and stole the remainder of his stock after the game.
Not all Hibees are good guys.

I would have voted for the old, old stadium before the seats went in the cowshed, the old floodlights, the towering East terrace, someone pissing down someone else's leg when the whole thing was packed. Peering over the shoulder of the guy in front to see what letters on the old scoreboard referred to which games. Pies with grease as hot as molten lava down your chin, jacket, troosers.
Get your macaroon bars here!

Voted for it as it is now.
Me tae. Also vote for as it is now.

misty eyed over the covered east with nae seats, the stairs in the earlier post.....but

tin hat on here, i think the south and famous five look shite.

Nobody was ever forced to sit in an unsafe stand.You weren't going to your work. But I agree with you it was unsafe for decades.

Its actually only in retrospect you realize how dangerous and deadly these structures and stadiums were and Hibs were by no means the worst.

That old stand of the puddle drinkers lasted up until 2017/2018 which is simply unbelievable.?

Brockville was another deathtrap with broken stairs on the terracing leading down to unlit tiny cramped exits.?

I do have very fond memories of the old Easter Road as well as being the in house grumpy pussed amateur retrospective health and safety expert.?

It would be amazing for example to recreate for a day the wide open spaces of the double banked old East Terracing.?✅

The hike from the old car park to the very top was met with a breathtaking expanse and you looked down to a minature pitch with tiny moving subuteo figures from what seemed like the sky of the world with the majestic Arthur's Seat on the same level trajectory.?.✅

Similarly to somehow recreate the "Souness Game" of 1986 v "Scotlands Shame 1872" jam packed under the TV camera gantry and the electric charged atmosphere and that incredible 90 minute natural buzz of adrenalin surge and rush that you could never ever hope to recreate with drugs or alcohol.?✅

Probably my favourite seasons in the old stadium were in the days of the old North stand sitting tight on the bench seats stamping your feet to the chants of "Hibees Hibees" started by the old boys at the back.?✅

There was a happy warmth and solid sense of belonging and community in that confined space especially on misreable days or floodlit evenings where you seemed to enter a different surreal world where you were totally engrossed in the spectacle good or bad unfolding in front of you completely oblivious to a different world you had for 90 minutes left behind.?✅

I voted for the current stadium, but to be honest i loved the old with the cave and old high east and i liked the covered east with and without seating. I never thought that i would like sitting at the fitba, but i cannot imagine standing for a whole game now so given the choice i would go for seated now.
I also like knowing that my view is going to be good.
That said i liked being able to say to my mates "see you at the stantion" and they would know exactly where we'd be and none of us had to have a ticket for that spot!

Roll up, I'm interested to hear what is your favourite version of Easter Road?
The auld ER is and always will be a place of magic haunted by many ghosts of friends and family, great memories

Hmmm... I remember as a lad, the two tier terracing. I was in awe of the fecking size! Huge. Loved it.

Its actually only in retrospect you realize how dangerous and deadly these structures and stadiums were and Hibs were by no means the worst.

That old stand of the puddle drinkers lasted up until 2017/2018 which is simply unbelievable.?

Brockville was another deathtrap with broken stairs on the terracing leading down to unlit tiny cramped exits.?

I do have very fond memories of the old Easter Road as well as being the in house grumpy pussed amateur retrospective health and safety expert.?

It would be amazing for example to recreate for a day the wide open spaces of the double banked old East Terracing.?✅

The hike from the old car park to the very top was met with a breathtaking expanse and you looked down to a minature pitch with tiny moving subuteo figures from what seemed like the sky of the world with the majestic Arthur's Seat on the same level trajectory.?.✅

Similarly to somehow recreate the "Souness Game" of 1986 v "Scotlands Shame 1872" jam packed under the TV camera gantry and the electric charged atmosphere and that incredible 90 minute natural buzz of adrenalin surge and rush that you could never ever hope to recreate with drugs or alcohol.?✅

Probably my favourite seasons in the old stadium were in the days of the old North stand sitting tight on the bench seats stamping your feet to the chants of "Hibees Hibees" started by the old boys at the back.?✅

There was a happy warmth and solid sense of belonging and community in that confined space especially on misreable days or floodlit evenings where you seemed to enter a different surreal world where you were totally engrossed in the spectacle good or bad unfolding in front of you completely oblivious to a different world you had for 90 minutes left behind.?✅
I started off in the old stand,and recognised the dangers of the ground early on.But that was part of the excitement.There was a few times I didn't enjoy being in a crowd.The day Celtic through a cannister into our end was the worst.I really did fear for my safety that night.But I loved the atmosphere of the old days.I don't get that in the new ground.

I started off in the old stand,and recognised the dangers of the ground early on.But that was part of the excitement.There was a few times I didn't enjoy being in a crowd.The day Celtic through a cannister into our end was the worst.I really did fear for my safety that night.But I loved the atmosphere of the old days.I don't get that in the new ground.
And we all know how that turned out for them later ?

As so many have already pointed out, that old Main Stand was a major accident just waiting to happen. There's no way I'd want it back. Nor do I have any warm feelings of nostalgia for those November-December-January-February afternoons on he open terraces with the wind knifing in off Arthur's Seat and the rain/sleet/hail blowing right in your face. It was OK maybe half-a-dozen games a season - when the OF or Gorgie's Disgrace were playing, or the evenings when we had a big European game on, or a Cup replay midweek. But watching us play (for example) , Greenock Morton in February, nothing really to play for, 5,000 in the ground and the heavens opening up just before KO - no thanks. Going home soaked to the skin, freezing cold? Been there, done it, don't want to go back.

We have a well-designed modern stadium and that's my favourite ER, though I'll treasure lots of good memories of the games I saw in the old ground. Barca, Real, Porto, Sporting, Napoli, we beat them all. How are the mighty fallen!

Not much to add..early 80s felt the most exciting as a lad just becoming a teenager. Tbh looking back the ground was as Sam says a bit of a disgrace. Couldnt half get the hairs on the back of your neck on end tho on a big game day/night. The mad sways in the East Terracing...brilliant. It and that time was coming to an end tho and tbf Hibs were pretty organised at developing the new stands when you look at Aberdeen, Hearts and Utd etc.

Really happy with how our stadium development panned out, I dont think its perfect but it does a good job of pleasing most. Been some great nights in there already...especially beating Hearts 3-1 in 2017 when it felt like there was a constant roar in the stadium..great night that...and shows what can be done when the ground is full and everyone is baying for a Hibs victory.

Enjoy threads like these..stirs some dormant memories and raises a nostalgic smile.

I'll add my wee bit. The old stand and ground has my memories because that's where my father first took me to see Hibs. Unfortunately I only got two games with him.
Then it was under the old stand to the old enclosure,into the cave , then the old east terracing.Viewed the Hibs from their until I emigrated to Canada. Both my son and daughter viewed from the seated covered east, which they both loved. GGTTH.

first visit to the stadium I couldnt believe show many steps there were leading up to east retracing. Much preferred the standing with rails...the bouncing was so much better. Obviously the stadium looks way better now but the freedom of open terracing is fun when your young and not so young.. Remember when you visited grounds and the catering was an oxo cube with some salt nearby if you wanted it. tea coffee crisps and the odd bar of chocolate

oh and you could lift the kids over without feeling like a master criminal.

This thread has been viewed 3602 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50