• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

What do you call a bread roll?

What do you call a bread roll?

• Roll

Votes: 58 96.7%
  • Bap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bread Roll

• Bread Cake

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Bun

• Muffin

• Barm

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Teacake

• Buttery

• Rowie

• Total voters

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Following on from a chat I had with a Hibs pal who was brought up on the Southside, then Canada and now lives in California, they tried to say we call a bread roll a bap in Scotland. I was flabbergasted, baps to me (and Shrink) were something quite different. However it got me to thinking, maybe its just me? So, what do you call a bread roll?

Of course it's a flippin roll ... I'll bap ye!

Roll.

I cannot believe that I have just participated in this most mentalist of mentalist plebiscites ever. I voted for Roll, reluctantly because when discussing philosophically with Freudian or Sartrian amigos about round levened bread I alway interject with the word Storries, before roll. Which has always baffled these thinkers, and also baffles me that they are not included in list.

The greatest philosopher in history in my opinion, Karl Marx said famously....

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.They should shut the fuck up and have a well fired roll and butter.

Well fired not on this feeble list either.

I rest my case.

BIG G

I cannot believe that I have just participated in this most mentalist of mentalist plebiscites ever. I voted for Roll, reluctantly because when discussing philosophically with Freudian or Sartrian amigos about round levened bread I alway interject with the word Storries, before roll. Which has always baffled these thinkers, and also baffles me that they are not included in list.

The greatest philosopher in history in my opinion, Karl Marx said famously....

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.They should shut the fuck up and have a well fired roll and butter.

Well fired not on this feeble list either.

I rest my case.

BIG G

I avoided brands of roll and how the well or otherwise the roll was cooked.

“Bakers of bread rolls and pastry cooks will not buy grain before eleven o'clock in winter and noon in summer; bakers of large loaves will not buy grain before two o'clock. This will enable the people of the town to obtain their supply first. Bakers shall put a distinctive trademark on their loaves, and keep weights and scales in their shops, under penalty of having their licenses removed.” — Cardinal Richelieu

It’s a roll. A baps are an English term for rolls or a Scottish for boobs as in she’s got a lovely pair.

Oasis soup.
You get a roll with it.

Oasis soup.
You get a roll with it.
I'm sure I heard Liam Gallgher got banned from some club for spraying Paul Gascoigne with a fire extinguisher after he said that to him 😂

Roll

A roll and Hammi, magic! :22:

Roll. Although I enjoy a rowie when up in Sheepland.

A saftie.
And get Buttery and Rowie te fu*k aff that list.
Bloody sassenachs that ye are.

A saftie.
And get Buttery and Rowie te fu*k aff that list.
Bloody sassenachs that ye are.

I was talking about bread rolls, no yur boaby.

Roll, Fergies in Moredun have the best rolls in South Edinburgh

Actually I think I may have been wrong in saying a bap is an English name for a roll. I think it’s French. Mmmmm bap eh?🤔

OK, who is the Barm? I am going to guess its a merseyside based Hibby?

Actually I think I may have been wrong in saying a bap is an English name for a roll. I think it’s French. Mmmmm bap eh?🤔
Hanson sang it.

Anything you want it can't hear ya!

Back in the day when my family would come round for lunch at my mum's the usual patter would be Q-Can I have a roll please? A-sorry there's not enough room.

Roll
Best rolls in the Borders, Loughs of Eyemouth
Pricey, but lovely
Soft
Doughie
Well fired
To mention three types baked

Perhaps another question is, do you say sausage roll, or roll and/on sausage

Back in the day when my family would come round for lunch at my mum's the usual patter would be Q-Can I have a roll please? A-sorry there's not enough room.
Reminds me of the now defunct Dalziel bakery in Airdrie which had a horse on it's back with the slogan, a good roll does satisty

Depends what you are buying a sausage meat concoction surrounded by pastry or a link or lorne/ square sausage on a roll?

Do you have a "select all" for @Uncy ?

Do you have a "select all" for @Uncy ?

Its the bounce, not Tinder. :friendly:

A roll 😁

Wtf is a....

Barm​

Wtf is a....

Barm​

A term used in Lancashire , a sweeter type roll

As in 'you're a barmcake'?

Depends what you are buying a sausage meat concoction surrounded by pastry or a link or lorne/ square sausage on a roll?
Yeh but I always called both a sausage roll now I do tend to say roll and sausage when it is not the pastry variety

I call it a roll but what it's called here is not mentioned on the thread. In Nottingham it'a a 'cob' and probably always will be.

A roll.

And you can't get any decent ones where I live, so I now try and make my own.

Limited success. :/

It's a roll. Always. To be distinguished by an adjective:

Crispy
Seeded
Soft
Well-fired
Etc...

I lived in Leeds for a bit and they seemed to use every single term in the list to describe slight variances in the roll there.

I'll grudgingly accept "bun" for Yankee scran like burgers and hotdogs.

It's a roll. Always. To be distinguished by an adjective:

Crispy
Seeded
Soft
Well-fired
Etc...

I lived in Leeds for a bit and they seemed to use every single term in the list to describe slight variances in the roll there.

I'll grudgingly accept "bun" for Yankee scran like burgers and hotdogs.
'well-fired' - I like burnt rolls n all :)

I call it a roll but what it's called here is not mentioned on the thread. In Nottingham it'a a 'cob' and probably always will be.

Yes, forgot about a cob, an ex of mine was from Birmingham, that is what they call a roll down there too.

Roll, Fergies in Moredun have the best rolls in South Edinburgh
The rolls at the new Co-Op in Gilmerton are amazing, well they are in comparison to the rolls we used to get down in Gloucester

Christ.

See the hassle living here trying to get a sliced sausage roll.

Radges. The lot of them.

Christ.

See the hassle living here trying to get a sliced sausage roll.

Radges. The lot of them.
Square or links

Yes, forgot about a cob, an ex of mine was from Birmingham, that is what they call a roll down there too.
I took some schoolkids to a pantomime in Mansfield Nottinghamshire once and the cast were taking the pish out of the locals as is customary. Idle Jack traded the family cow for an armful of enchanted chip cobs. The chip cobs turned into a massive chip cob 'stalk' which grew and reached the clouds. True story.

I got two fcuking custard pies in the mush as well.

I took some schoolkids to a pantomime in Mansfield Nottinghamshire once and the cast were taking the pish out of the locals as is customary. Idle Jack traded the family cow for an armful of enchanted chip cobs. The chip cobs turned into a massive chip cob 'stalk' which grew and reached the clouds. True story.

I got two fcuking custard pies in the mush as well.
Serves you right.
Did you have to return the school kids to their rightful owners?

This thread has been viewed 2157 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back