Were in Europe,what does that mean?

Hattie

Donator
Sorry for being a bit thick but, if we don't win the Cup, does that mean we're only really guaranteed the two games, one home and one away?
Sorry off topic, but I stayed in Dresden 50 years ago. Dad was in army, stayed there from aged 2-5. Still remember stuff from my tome there. Would love to go back, visit where i stayed, esp with auld man, but sadly i dont think hes fit enough to go 😔

I have tried unsuccessfully to follow all the permutations and confident that the Hibs won't let us down. Under the present circumstances even one foreign soiree would be absolutely brilliant. Myself and Shrink have already booked our zimmer frames in for a service.

BIG G

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
The huns getting papped out simplified the permutations quite a bit, there's now only two options for Hibs in terms of European fitba:

Option 1: Win the Scottish Cup - enter directly at Europa League playoff round. Win that two legged tie and we're in the Europa League Group stage, lose it and we're in the Conference League Group stage.

Option 2: Dinnae win the Scottish Cup - Enter at the second qualifying round for the Conference League and therefore need to win three two legged ties (second, third and playoff rounds) to get into the Conference League group stage. There's no way to get into the Europa League proper through this route that I can see.

In other words if we don't win the Scottish Cup then we have to play 6 matches (and win all three of the ties) to get the same Conference League group stage place we'd be guaranteed by winning the Cup.

Hattie

Donator
The way i read it just showed me tye whole new format is designed to help the teams that fail at the champs league level. It is shockingly weighted towards them.
Im sure its only 11 teams from the league placings throughout europe get a europa league slot.
Further enhancing EUFA’s obsession towards the larger clubs.
Hibs finish 3rd and have 2 play 3 rounds to get into conference league? Disgraceful

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
The way i read it just showed me tye whole new format is designed to help the teams that fail at the champs league level. It is shockingly weighted towards them.
Im sure its only 11 teams from the league placings throughout europe get a europa league slot.
Further enhancing EUFA’s obsession towards the larger clubs.
Hibs finish 3rd and have 2 play 3 rounds to get into conference league? Disgraceful
Agree, it looks guff and I reckon we'd have spent more time moaning about it if it wasn't for the fact that this year (and this year alone) there's a potentially good chance of getting into Europa league group stage from a one-off playoff match.

I suppose in future years we have to assume that one of the ugly sisters will win the SC more often than not, so the 3rd place team might have a shot at the Europa league group stages for winning two ties. Still feels like crumbs off the plate though. I don't agree with SC winner getting the 'best of the rest' Euro position anyway but I understand that's the way UEFA want it to be so I'm not sure whether SFA/SPFL have much say in it.

On the plus side, an easier path to a group stage of some description should make for more foreign jolly opportunities, even if they are against 'diddy' teams.

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
It’s all the same to me on a personal level. Whether we are in a league group or just the qualifying rounds, it’s a chance to get pished on a bus in some remote land, be stranded in the middle of nowhere and be taken home by the bus drivers wife.

True story.
pics.

Admin
I have tried unsuccessfully to follow all the permutations and confident that the Hibs won't let us down. Under the present circumstances even one foreign soiree would be absolutely brilliant. Myself and Shrink have already booked our zimmer frames in for a service.

BIG G

I have placed my liver into advanced rehab.

It’s all the same to me on a personal level. Whether we are in a league group or just the qualifying rounds, it’s a chance to get pished on a bus in some remote land, be stranded in the middle of nowhere and be taken home by the bus drivers wife.

True story.

Yup, I was in the back seat of that wifeys car with you as we waved goodbye after politely saying just drop us off at the big lit up church. They did, then headed up the hill in their car, the same hill as out digs! My only time with a mirkin and living above the cloud line!

Hattie

Donator
I have never been to Europe with Hibs,and unless I win Euromillions I still won't.
Done a couple, but Copenhagen was THE very best boys trip ive ever been on. It was literally out feckin standing. With about maybe 1500 Hibs fans mad on the bevvy in boiling hot sunshine fir 3 days. The March ti the train station fir ttain to game was awesome, the train.... I cannot believe that it stayed on the tracks such was the singing and bouncing.
will never forget that trip with Hibs.. 💚💚💚💚

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Some well Kent faces in that pic Gordon.
Can’t believe I was talked out of going to that trip. Gutted now

Two Headed Boy

Well-Known Radge
Group stage European football not guaranteed for Scottish Cup winner now.

"It's understood Uefa have promoted the Cypriot Cup winners - Anorthosis Famagusta - from the Conference League to Europa League third round qualifiers in the last few days.

That has led to a rebalancing of the access list and the Scottish Cup winners are expected to be the team to drop out of the play-off.

There could be a late reprieve - depending on the outcome of the Champions League and Europa League finals.

If Chelsea win the Champions League and qualify for the Europa League via the Premier League, or Villarreal win the Europa League and qualify via La Liga, the Scottish Cup winners are likely to land a play-off."

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here