• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

US link up

PILTONSTANY

Shameless Radge
Private Member
Reaction score

Sounds more like a crime than a club!

Still, whatever it takes....

dum dum darum dum dum
dum dum daarum dum dum...

Sounds more like a crime than a club!

Still, whatever it takes....

dum dum darum dum dum
dum dum daarum dum dum...
I thought more a dance!

Doo do,
Doo do,
doorl doorl,
do do to do ...

Charleston are an affiliate of MLS side Atlanta United. Not sure what that really means and if in turn it provides Hibs with a link to Atlanta, however, pre-Covid Atlanta regularly got crowds over 50,000.

Dinnae talk pish, Charleston is ower in Fife next tae Limekilns!

Charleston are an affiliate of MLS side Atlanta United. Not sure what that really means and if in turn it provides Hibs with a link to Atlanta, however, pre-Covid Atlanta regularly got crowds over 50,000.
The Sheep are in partnership with Atlanta United. Puts us in our place, I suppose ☹️

Founded in 1993, the team plays in the United Soccer League and, along with the Richmond Kickers, is the oldest continuously operating professional soccer club in the United States.

Charleston Battery sold to new owner after 3 tumultuous years under former leadership​

The Charleston Battery will open the 2020 soccer season in a different city, playing its matches in a different venue and with a new owner.

After three tumultuous years under the leadership of Eric Bowman and B Sports Entertainment, the soccer club was sold Wednesday to a group called HCFC and led by New York native Rob Salvatore.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Salvatore becomes the third owner of the oldest continuously running professional soccer club in the United States, which opened its doors in the spring of 1993, playing its home matches in downtown Charleston at Burke High School’s Stoney Field.

In 1999 the club moved to Daniel Island and into Blackbaud Stadium – the first privately owned soccer-specific stadium in the U.S. – and over the next two decades built a national brand that allowed it to bring in the U.S. Women’s National Team and MLS teams, along with international clubs from Europe, Mexico and the Caribbean for exhibition matches.

“The Battery are an indelible part of the Charleston community,” Salvatore said. “As one of the most historic professional soccer organizations in the United States, this club has brought people throughout the Lowcountry together for decades. As the custodians of the club, we will honor and respect that history while bringing new energy, experience and resources to grow the club’s connection to the community both on and off the field.”

+10
Top 10 soccer moments at Charleston Battery's soon-to-be-demolished MUSC Health Stadium
The Charleston Battery soccer team played at MUSC Health Stadium on Daniel Island since 1999.
Salvatore, 44, takes control of one of the most successful franchises in the USL. The Battery have captured four league titles — 1996, 2003, 2010 and 2012 — and in 2008 advanced to the final of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, losing to MLS member D.C. United, 2-1.

“We are absolutely thrilled to welcome Rob to the USL,” said league president Jake Edwards, who played for the Battery. “As someone who has had the privilege of playing for the club, I know first-hand how wonderful the Charleston community is and how important they are to the future of the USL Championship. Under Rob’s leadership, we believe the future of professional soccer in Charleston is incredibly bright.”

Salvatore met for the first time with the club’s front office, coaching staff and players Wednesday afternoon. Salvatore said no decisions have been made about head coach Mike Anhaeuser, who has won more than 200 games, led the club to two USL titles and been with the team as a player and coach since 1994.

“I haven’t even had a chance to talk with Mike or the staff,” Salvatore said early Wednesday afternoon. “He’s obviously done a great job over the years, and his record speaks for itself.”

Battery_5.jpg (copy)
Buy Now
Charleston Battery fans show their support for the team in the rain during the soccer team’s last game to be played at MUSC Health Stadium on Oct. 19, 2019, on Daniel Island. Gavin McIntyre/ Staff
Last week, the Battery finalized an agreement to play its 2020 season at College of Charleston’s Ralph Lundy Field at Patriots Point. The Battery is working on extending the contract with the college to play all of its home games through 2022 at the Mount Pleasant facility.

“This partnership with the Charleston Battery is a win-win for everyone,” said College of Charleston athletics director Matt Roberts. “It will not only enhance our coaches’ and student-athletes’ overall experience by exposing them to a professional team and a professional environment, but it will be a boon for our greater community and give fans an even greater opportunity to see and cheer on top-level soccer.”

Bowman sold MUSC Health Stadium on Daniel Island – the club’s home for the past two decades – in May to Holder Properties for $6.4 million. Bowman, who bought the team and MUSC Health Stadium from club founder Tony Bakker for $8.4 million in 2016, had run-ins with league officials and the media throughout this tenure. At the same time, attendance for home games dropped significantly.

After selling the club’s stadium on Daniel Island, Bowman said he wanted to move the team back to Stoney Field, which served as the Battery’s home from 1993-99. Stoney Field, which is used by Burke High School and the City of Charleston Recreation Department, is undergoing renovations and won’t be ready for use until the fall of 2020, city officials said.

The Battery then shifted its focus to playing at Johnson Hagood Stadium, The Citadel’s 11,000-seat facility across the street from Stoney Field. However, issues with the installation of new turf on field for the 2020 Citadel football season forced the Battery to look elsewhere.

The U.S. Soccer Federation requires all USL Championship venues to have a seating capacity of at least 5,000. Under the current configuration, the Patriots Point facility seats a little more than 1,000. Salvatore said the club will work in the coming months to meet those requirements.

“We going to do everything we can to get there as quickly as possible,” Salvatore said. “We want big, loud crowds at the matches. Now, how quickly that can happen? I’m not sure. We’re dealing with so many different entities.”

Battery_1.jpg
Buy Now
The Charleston Battery soccer team warms up before its final game at MUSC Health Stadium on Oct. 19, 2019, on Daniel Island. Gavin McIntyre/ Staff
Salvatore said he will lean heavily on Turner Construction, where his father is a board member. Turner Construction is currently building SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, which will be home to the NFL’s Los Angeles Chargers and L.A. Rams. The company also did renovations at Clemson’s Littlejohn Coliseum and Memorial Stadium.

“They build the biggest stadiums in the world,” Salvatore said. “We walked the site with one of our senior engineers. We have those resources and he’s going to help guide us and the league through that process. We think it’s going to be modular; it won’t feel temporary, it’ll feel permanent.

“That’s something that I’ll be involved with. We don’t need to build a 30,000-seat facility. I think we can build something that’s pretty intimate and has some pretty cool amenities in a gorgeous location. That will be our focus for the next couple of months.”

Salvatore said without the College of Charleston, the deal might not have been finalized.

“The way the College of Charleston has cooperated and partnered with us in these first few days is really exciting,” Salvatore said. “I think it’s safe to say they saved professional soccer in Charleston.”

Over the coming the months, Salvatore will embark on a series of listening sessions to receive feedback from the community and club supporters.

“The most important thing we can do this offseason is listen,” Salvatore said. “We need to make sure our ideas align with the views and beliefs of our supporters. It’s very important that we’re making decisions together. We may own the team, but it belongs to Charleston. It is paramount that we earn and keep the community’s trust. That starts by listening and being transparent.”

Salvatore spent the previous decade serving as CEO of Tongal, a venture-backed community driven creative platform that he co-founded. He left the company a year ago and said he was looking for a new challenge.

“When it became apparent that the Charleston Battery was going to be available, I got really excited,” Salvatore said. “Now that this is the next chapter in my life, I’m beyond stoked. I think this an incredible opportunity.”1605026694924.png1605026694866.png1605026694803.png

From around a year ago

I suppose there are positives and negatives linking up with them....

This is worth a read too - some familiar ex hibs names crop up.

Is that still the case? Atlanta United have another affiliate - Atlanta United 2 playing at this level, managed by touch of class Stephen Glass.

Reactions: Zab

This is worth a read too - some familiar ex hibs names crop up.

Steven Glass and Paul Dalglish!

Sounds interesting.

I wasn't impressed with the standard of MLS soccer, so I doubt I'd be impressed with 2nd tier.

Analysis, on the other hand, might be something that we can work together on, especially if they are already partnered with a local sports university.

Stephen Glass took charge of the main AU team few months back or more when Frank De Boer was bulleted.

Quite a tough gig apparently as lots of temperamental South American’s in their squad who were a challenge to manage.

“Ones called Ronald, ones called Frank.....”
Complete the rest

Last edited:
Looks like we've tied up with the US Alloa. Don't see how players from a club in the US 2nd tier could potentially make the jump to SPFL level to be honest. I would have been more excited to hear a link with an MLS club. There are some good players in that league. Better yet a club in Spain or even Scandinavia...

Looks like we've tied up with the US Alloa. Don't see how players from a club in the US 2nd tier could potentially make the jump to SPFL level to be honest. I would have been more excited to hear a link with an MLS club. There are some good players in that league. Better yet a club in Spain or even Scandinavia...

I think the idea is to pick up development players rather than the finished article.

Having access to a pool of young players who are not exposed to our bevy culture sounds decent.

I think the idea is to pick up development players rather than the finished article.

Having access to a pool of young players who are not exposed to our bevy culture sounds decent.
I get that but still doesn't really excite. We'll see what comes i guess...

I get that but still doesn't really excite. We'll see what comes i guess...

I know what you mean, it’s no LA Galaxy, but it’s worth exploring. Might lead to bigger options in the US down the line.

I think it's decent for the club. 'Soccer' is ever growing over there and there must be a source of talent in upcoming years. If there is a way we could benefit we would be silly not to examine this option. It also offers opportunity for players/coach staffing to gain experience. I think the club have done well with this one.

Wrong feckin Carolina for me! Still, only 4 hours away if we ever play them on a US tour!

more in it for them I think?

If we're able to bring young lads fresh out of high school or college, who have been brought up through a sports system could well be of benefit to us.
Most of them will be impressive athletes with an understanding of working hard for it.

Reading the initial announcement, it sounds like we'll be giving their players a chance to come train in their off season and learn what being part of a professional club in Europe looks like.
And on our part, its more about the information they can share.
They'll know every college and high school athlete, that could give us a chance at getting in there (work permits might be an issue if they're not full internationals though?)
And we'll get some learning on match day experiences.

We might come across a few players over the next few years, I wouldn't be expecting any league winners from the partnership though, seems to be about more than that.

I’m just hoping for a pre season friendly at their gaff ?

Based on the food thread I’m wanting a BBQ at your gaff ?

It’s becoming the norm. Canadian Premier League teams trying to link with Dundee, Brentford etc. If it’s costing nothing and there may be a benefit somewhere along the line then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd head along to that!

Pre Season Tour:party22:

Based on the food thread I’m wanting a BBQ at your gaff ?
All welcome ?
Except Shrink natch ?

• Haha
All welcome ?
Except Shrink natch ?

Its ok, adult nappies seem to work.

£650 RTN Edin-Charleston

£650 RTN Edin-Charleston
Ya dancer ?

£650 RTN Edin-Charleston
550 quid to Atlanta - 4 hour drive to Charleston. Steaks on the house :)

All welcome ?
Except Shrink natch ?
Ya bastard.
My bag was packed. I’d thought the grub would be decent enough to make up for the dodgy company.
But it seems I’m banned from flying.
Nothing to do with West Lothian being Cat 4 and not allowed to travel to the airport, more about the time I accidentally exposed myself to the young brunette girl at check in.
Honest. No intention.

I was aiming for the blonde lass.

I'd head along to that!
As would I!

I can only assume that much work and research has gone into this link-up with Charleston Battery from the powers that be at Hibs, and that we have established that there is in fact a benefit to our club. I say that because as an ordinary fan I am struggling at the moment to see what those benefits actually are.

I understand we are going to allow some of their players during their off-season to come and train at East Mains with our players and that is all very nice, but given the level these players play at compared to ours, again I just can't see the purpose of it ? Perhaps somebody can explain ?

Potential Development team players possibly ?...whenever our reserve league gets started again.

Last edited:
The more I hear and read about this the less I see what's in it for us.

Seems a complete waste of time and energy.

Big Ron’s local team I’m sure I read so doubt it’s worth a sook.

Charleston soccerball fans can buy the odd Hibees pennant and we can get a few amateurs over to learn about our binge drinking culture.

Big Ron’s local team I’m sure I read so doubt it’s worth a sook.

Charleston soccerball fans can buy the odd Hibees pennant and we can get a few amateurs over to learn about our binge drinking culture.

It was his son that moved local, and Ron wanted their owner and his son to link up.
The more I hear and read about this the less I see what's in it for us.

Seems a complete waste of time and energy.

I kinda agree, it makes us a parent club of sorts, with little to no chance of actually taking a player on full time.
I've no idea what a match day experience is like in the lower US leagues, but if they're still half decent we might be able to hijack some ideas.

Some extra yank investment would be nice tho.

Went to a couple of Eintracht games in Florida on their winter break early in 2019. Tampa Bay Rowdies stadium was used for one of the games which wasn’t up to much and looks similar level to the one used by the Charleston Flappers.

The other game was a mini tournament in downtown Orlando with Ajax and 2 Brazilian teams and the crowd was massive and a packed larger stadium with South American expats taking it very seriously.

Magic ? opportunity to see new places and get tucked into the local scran and bar scenes.

Went to a couple of Eintracht games in Florida on their winter break early in 2019. Tampa Bay Rowdies stadium was used for one of the games which wasn’t up to much and looks similar level to the one used by the Charleston Flappers.

The other game was a mini tournament in downtown Orlando with Ajax and 2 Brazilian teams and the crowd was massive and a packed larger stadium with South American expats taking it very seriously.

Magic ? opportunity to see new places and get tucked into the local scran and bar scenes.
Went to Orlandos ground in 2017. Kaka was playing fir them, opposing team, can’t remember who, were down to 10 men quite early, Orlando ran out 5-1 winners. Cracking stadium, game kinda slow paced but their singing section behind the goals was very impressive, inc about 10 drummers. Also, sat with beer in hand in seats and Hibs tops on

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 8965 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back