• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Unexpectedly Soulful Albums

Johnny Kash

Private Member
Reaction score
Been revisiting 'The Defamation of Strickland Banks' by Plan B lately, Id forgotten how good it is. Remember being blown away at the time by an artist releasing an absolute corker of a soul album like that having previously released fairly typical UK hip hop/grime of that era.

The other one is Back to Black, again following some really quite average stuff from the Winehouse who then comes up with that.

Lastly - Eamon - Golden Rail Motel. Yes and I hear you scoff, it is the F.UR.B. gadgie from years ago. Whilst not on the level of the 2 above IMO, its actually decent and most unexpected. Would sound great on vinyl.

Loved both Amy Winehouse albums, but Back to Black is a classic.

Last edited:
Strange Times by The Chameleons always stood out to me amongst the great indie/post-punk albums of the 80s by being particularly sincere in its emotional depth.

When other bands of the era were being arch (The Smiths, Felt, The The...) or using doom laden metaphor (The Cure, Killing Joke, Sisters of Mercy...), The Chameleons had a genuine soulfulness to them despite using a lot of the same musical tropes.

Fuck me I am lost in this thread. Who? Oh aye I saw them at the Isle of Wight in 1970.
This is the business though. It can be a long slog to fame, however Val my pal did it the hard way. Soulful personified. Quality. Genius. RIP.

BIG G

The Style Council-Our Favourite Shop -ok the hints were there in the Jam,but anyone thinking this would be like Eton Rifles II would be taken back by the soulfullness of this album.

David Bowie-Young Americans,with tracks like Fame was a complete change from the previous Diamond Dogs.

Strange Times by The Chameleons always stood out to me amongst the great indie/post-punk albums of the 80s by being particularly sincere in its emotional depth.

When other bands of the era were being arch (The Smiths, Felt, The The...) or using doom laden metaphor (The Cure, Killing Joke, Sisters of Mercy...), The Chameleons had a genuine soulfulness to them despite using a lot of the same musical tropes.

very much underrated, The Chameleons. Tears is right up there with my standout tunes from the 80s

I think the most surprising one for me is Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd. Coming out at the height of prog rock you might expect if to be all earnest musicianship, key changes and banal lyrics. But no - It's actually gospel infused with fantastic female vocals and is still really uplifting. Eclipse is one of the finest songs to close an album you can imagine. And It's soulful.

very much underrated, The Chameleons. Tears is right up there with my standout tunes from the 80s
Indeed! They're playing the Oran Mor in Glasgow in Feb. Got my tickets already. I was much too young to have seen them first time round so looking forward to it.

James Morrison 'Undiscovered' . Brilliant singer, songwriter and live performer.

Stevie Wonder,Innervisions-only joking.

This thread has been viewed 616 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back