Tommy Docherty

Greenmachine

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Apart from being one of the funniest people ever in football and a great character and personality, the Doc was also a fine manager. I remember reading Kenny Dalglish's autobiography years ago and he rated Docherty one of the best managers he ever had. He was a very good Scotland manager and he regretted all his life leaving the Scotland managers job for Man United in 1972. He picked John Brownlie, Alex Cropley and Pat Stanton for Scotland and famously stated that Stanton was better than Bobby Moore. Apparently he was a really good player as well.

RIP Doc.

WJC1848

Just A Radge
Brought his Aston Villa team to Easter Road for a midweek friendly in October 1969. They were in the Third Division at that time. Hibs were at or near the top of the league. They thrashed us 4-1.
We were just as inconsistent then as we are now, with great players like a young Stanton, Brownlie, Blackley, Cormack and Eric Stevenson, and the more experienced Pat Quinn, Joe Davis and John Madsen, as we came from the high of playing under Stein to the low of losing 6-2 to Celtic in the League Cup Final. But we were building up to the '72 League Cup victory. I was at the Villa game but would need @GORDONSMITH7's encyclopedic mind to recall anything of the game.

greencol

Skivin cooncil Radge
Apart from being one of the funniest people ever in football and a great character and personality, the Doc was also a fine manager. I remember reading Kenny Dalglish's autobiography years ago and he rated Docherty one of the best managers he ever had. He was a very good Scotland manager and he regretted all his life leaving the Scotland managers job for Man United in 1972. He picked John Brownlie, Alex Cropley and Pat Stanton for Scotland and famously stated that Stanton was better than Bobby Moore. Apparently he was a really good player as well.

RIP Doc.
I remember going to pittodrie to see Scotland play Belgium. We couldn't qualify for the Euros having lost to Portugal , Belgium and Norway(?. Memory fade again )already under Bobby Brown.
John O'Hare scored the goal from a cross by the brilliant Jimmy Johnstone.

And Pittodrie was packed. Well over 30k in those days.

MeanwoodHibee

Just A Radge
We were just as inconsistent then as we are now, with great players like a young Stanton, Brownlie, Blackley, Cormack and Eric Stevenson, and the more experienced Pat Quinn, Joe Davis and John Madsen, as we came from the high of playing under Stein to the low of losing 6-2 to Celtic in the League Cup Final. But we were building up to the '72 League Cup victory. I was at the Villa game but would need @GORDONSMITH7's encyclopedic mind to recall anything of the game.
I dug out the relevant Hibs programme. Here are the teams and scorers. The only name I recognise in the Villa lineup is Bruce Rioch.
20210101_153437.jpg
Here's a picture, captioned as Eric Stevenson challenging Villa keeper Phillips and I'm guessing the other Hibs player in the foreground is a young Alex Cropley?
20210101_153408.jpg