• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

The Best Pies in Scottish Football

The best pies are:

• Storries

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Baynes

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Masons

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Greggs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stephens

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Bains of Stenhouse

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Killie Pies

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Boghall Butchers

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Graham Cherrie Butchers

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Lawsons

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
As part of yesterday's AGM, Hibs aim to sell the best pies in Scottish Football next season. What would they be for you?

If I have missed any out, I can add in later, just list them here.

Killie.

Bains (Stenhouse)

Bains (Stenhouse)
Their bridies are top notch too.. by far the best pies imo

Fuck the fitba.It's the main reason I go through.

I pass Bains infrequently so take the opportunity to buy a dozen or more and stick them in the freezer for match day. There's not been any match days and I've no had a pie for yonks either!

I pass Masons much more often and keep meaning to give them another try, I've not been back since the hand washing scandal of 40 or so years ago :gigglle:

Storries mince pies aren't up to much, IMO. It's their curry pies that are very good and I've also heard good things about their macaroni pies.

Baynes and Greggs are only really good enough to remind you how good the other ones are but as mass produced pies they're alright. Could Bains or Masons upscale and retain their superbness?

Last edited:
I pass Bains infrequently so take the opportunity to buy a dozen or more and stick them in the freezer for match day. There's not been any match days and I've no had a pie for yonks either!

I pass Masons much more often and keep meaning to give them another try, I've not been back since the hand washing scandal of 40 or so years ago :gigglle:

Storries mince pies aren't up to much, IMO. It's their curry pies that are very good and I've also heard good things about their macaroni pies.

Baynes and Greggs are only really good enough to remind you how good the other ones are but as mass produced pies they're alright. Could Bains or Massons upscale and retain their superbness?
Storries steak pies not very good at all now, changed about 18 months ago.. but agree, curry pies are great

Fergusons in moredun.

Storries Lasagne pies are magic

Brownings.
I'll drive them through 4 hours before the game for 50 quid, 2 pies and a comp.

As part of yesterday's AGM, Hibs aim to sell the best pies in Scottish Football next season. What would they be for you?

If I have missed any out, I can add in later, just list them here.
Stephens for me, not greasy
I thought we were going to a lot of new things, not just pies

Fergusons in moredun.
Thats literally 300 yards from my door... 😂 not too bad i must say.. their rolls are quality

Stephens for me. Absolute game changer having the local Scotmid sell them. Our local bakers at Parkhead is rotten for pies.

Stephens
Steak stoater is top class 👏

Fergusons in moredun.
Their rolls are exceptional but I widnae say their pies are. Sausage rolls and pasties are ok though.

Their rolls are exceptional but I widnae say their pies are. Sausage rolls and pasties are ok though.
Tbh they do a very nice spring roll

Tbh they do a very nice spring roll
No seen them Stu, have tae try them. Shop was shut on Saturday, because of covid I was telt. No sure in what capacity it’s affected but it was still shut when I drove past this morning.

Storries...cheap and cheerful. I guess that I could have a go at their mince pies. Mare soya in them than meat. Rolls and Bran scones and Vanilla slices world class.

Baynes are not the Bains of Stenhouse Cross, who have a big reputation. Pies made in butchers shops is a dying art. The other examples of almost Butcher's pies was the tradition of cheek by jowel collaboration. When I was lad, aye with Hovis/Granville bike, working after school and weekends for butchers Bonthrons, delivering parcels of mince, steak etc all over Musselburgh. Each Thursday a big aluminium tray full of mince steak and steak chunks were transported across the High Street to Cossars bakery were a magical transformation took place.

Masons pies were legendary in the 60's and 70's. New owners in the 80's. Pies quality not the same however mythology about today's fair hinges on a glorious past.

Gregg, well what can one say, at least they were amongst the first to do Vegan pastries and even Storries at al see a potential money maker and do the same.
I remember seeing a delivery to Greggs in Restalrig Road early doors. Got chatting to the drivert and it transpired there were boxes with frozen round bases, circular outer shells and individual patties of whatever. I believe their products can be bought frozen in various outlets.

If going by popular feedback is anything to go by, the pies presented to punters, free, by St.Patricks Branch at St. Patrick's Night swaries, the successful 140th Birthday of the Hibernians and the 25th Anniversary of the Skol Cup victory organised by us, the pies made in shop by splendid Hibee daft butcher Graham Cherrie, Albert Street are the business.

If it comes to my personal pie memories it is none of the above. In the mid sixties my ma and da would go out for the night and leave me enough dough for an can of juice, a steak pie supper and two pickles from Brandeschis moboie Fish and Chip van, smoke billowing oot the chimney. The quality of the steak pie was probably gash however that and watching whatever I wanted on the telly while the were oot was heaven.

BIG G

Used to enjoy a Crombies pie, been a while mind you.

No seen them Stu, have tae try them. Shop was shut on Saturday, because of covid I was telt. No sure in what capacity it’s affected but it was still shut when I drove past this morning.
They had to sort their track and trace system out, so shut fir 10 days

Storries...cheap and cheerful. I guess that I could have a go at their mince pies. Mare soya in them than meat. Rolls and Bran scones and Vanilla slices world class.

Baynes are not the Bains of Stenhouse Cross, who have a big reputation. Pies made in butchers shops is a dying art. The other examples of almost Butcher's pies was the tradition of cheek by jowel collaboration. When I was lad, aye with Hovis/Granville bike, working after school and weekends for butchers Bonthrons, delivering parcels of mince, steak etc all over Musselburgh. Each Thursday a big aluminium tray full of mince steak and steak chunks were transported across the High Street to Cossars bakery were a magical transformation took place.

Masons pies were legendary in the 60's and 70's. New owners in the 80's. Pies quality not the same however mythology about today's fair hinges on a glorious past.

Gregg, well what can one say, at least they were amongst the first to do Vegan pastries and even Storries at al see a potential money maker and do the same.
I remember seeing a delivery to Greggs in Restalrig Road early doors. Got chatting to the drivert and it transpired there were boxes with frozen round bases, circular outer shells and individual patties of whatever. I believe their products can be bought frozen in various outlets.

If going by popular feedback is anything to go by, the pies presented to punters, free, by St.Patricks Branch at St. Patrick's Night swaries, the successful 140th Birthday of the Hibernians and the 25th Anniversary of the Skol Cup victory organised by us, the pies made in shop by splendid Hibee daft butcher Graham Cherrie, Albert Street are the business.

If it comes to my personal pie memories it is none of the above. In the mid sixties my ma and da would go out for the night and leave me enough dough for an can of juice, a steak pie supper and two pickles from Brandeschis moboie Fish and Chip van, smoke billowing oot the chimney. The quality of the steak pie was probably gash however that and watching whatever I wanted on the telly while the were oot was heaven.

BIG G
My Mum was caretaker at Inchkeith Court at Pilrig when i was wee and would always get pies from Graham the Butchers,Is it true that Masons used to do the pies at Easter Rd?

Bains at Stenhouse are the best in Edinburgh.
Lawson's in Uphall steak & gravy pies and Boghall butcher's mince pies are top notch for us West Lothian based pie munchers.

Last edited:
Bains at Stenhouse are the best in Edinburgh. Lawson's steak & gravy and Boghall's mince pies are top notch for us West Lothian based pie munchers.
Boghall butcher?
while working through there we sampled their pies, before it went on fire
They have awards all over the walls for their pies. They were very good. Esp the chicken pies. But they have awards fir best scotch/mince pie in the world and others in walls.

Bains tremendous but possibly too much gravy to contend with while watching the match, don’t want the dress troosers ruined for a night in Robbie’s

Please note you can change your vote. The poll is in direct response to the AGM statement Hibs were aiming to sell the best pies in Scottish fitba.

Boghall Butchers are different class open at 6 on a Saturday morning fatal when you have just came off a Friday nightshift

My Mum was caretaker at Inchkeith Court at Pilrig when i was wee and would always get pies from Graham the Butchers,Is it true that Masons used to do the pies at Easter Rd?

They did, mind the big fanfare, but they were not very good!

BIG G

Graham Cherrie's pies and sausage rolls are the biz. Same goes for the ones you get from the Sicilian bakers. Those 2 wee shops are gems and only a few yards apart. Albert Kidd Street is spoilt for choice.

Bains at Stenhouse are the best in Edinburgh.
Lawson's in Uphall steak & gravy pies and Boghall butcher's mince pies are top notch for us West Lothian based pie munchers.
I’ve voted for Boghall, but recently changed allegiance to Lawsons in the last couple of years. Going there today to purchase a steak pie for the weekend.

If Crombies on Broughton St. did single steak pies as opposed to the larger variety, they would blow all competition out the water.

BIG G
Eloquently , and passionately put. A pie connoisseur I suspect. 😁

Stephens the bakers for me. Pies, like most food which are not good for you, require a generous topping of brown sauce, to really hit the spot.
I have stuck a pie on a roll a few times, but really just when time was tight and I'm trying to cram a lot in . Over rated, but okay.

I’ve voted for Boghall, but recently changed allegiance to Lawsons in the last couple of years. Going there today to purchase a steak pie for the weekend.

Where is Lawsons?

Where is Lawsons?

It's just down the road from the Oatridge Hotel, opposite the Land Rover garage. Pies are top notch, and they have a deli there too.

I see a lot o' scotch pies are made wi' beef now instead of mutton.
I do miss Stories bran scones.
You never could beat Masons pies back in the day but no' had one for a few years now

Just to tie this pie debate off. For Porty Hibees. The late Matt McGinn was perhaps referring to St Andrews Fish and Chip shop in the High Street. Who knows?. The only song in the world that I can think of that mentions a pie supper.

BIG G

As a born and bred bow tow....its a Masons pie for me.... epic!

Or they were 40yrs ago :54:

.....and to plagiarize the great Matt McGinn.....Did ye hear the one aboot yon fella emerald green who was conceived in a Masons half loaf.....born n bread in Newhaven.

BIG G

.....and to plagiarize the great Matt McGinn.....Did ye hear the one aboot yon fella emerald green who was conceived in a Masons half loaf.....born n bread in Newhaven.

BIG G
The jokes are getting worse G

Used tae get them fae Masons back in the 50s and 60s. Barry

Not strictly a pie, but whoever does the bridies at east end park is at the top of their game.flaky pastry, tender juicy meat and not too much gravy. Absolute game changer.

This thread has been viewed 7210 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back