• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Stokesy rumours and opinions

The Family

Capital Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
When is he going to grow up!!

Caused shit at training and NL sent him home and dropped him.

Pissing about in Portugal.

Driving without a licence.

Bit more to it and the press making a bigger deal out of it than it is. Otherwise it would have been a much higher penalty than 3pts and £160 fine. Agreed on other points though, he needs to get his erse in gear and start putting in the effort on and off the pitch.

That bit isn't strictly true... he wasn't aware that an Irish driving license wasn't valid in the UK which, to be fair, I wasn't aware of either and I'd bet a lot of people weren't aware of.

We don't know the ins & outs of the other things you mention either and he wasn't the only one 'pissing about in Portugal' as far as the reports go.

Caused $#@! at training and NL sent him home and dropped him.

Stokes dismissed the training incident in an interview at the weekend.

Lennon says the Portugal incident is over.

Licence is old news.

That bit isn't strictly true... he wasn't aware that an Irish driving license wasn't valid in the UK which, to be fair, I wasn't aware of either and I'd bet a lot of people weren't aware of.

We don't know the ins & outs of the other things you mention either and he wasn't the only one 'pissing about in Portugal' as far as the reports go.

Why is it not valid? I have looked online and it seems to suggest anyone inside european union can drive here, though in some cases only up to 12 months..students for example. Ive been letting a guy who is here on student visa from Ukraine drive my car so trying to find out what the law actually is

Stokes dismissed the training incident in an interview at the weekend.

Lennon says the Portugal incident is over.

Licence is old news.

NL didn't dismiss it mate.

Why is it not valid? I have looked online and it seems to suggest anyone inside european union can drive here, though in some cases only up to 12 months..students for example. Ive been letting a guy who is here on student visa from Ukraine drive my car so trying to find out what the law actually is

I've got no idea, sorry.

Didn't know that either about the licence, I know Swanson and Boyler were also involved, but his off pitch antics have been well documented and I just wish he would have grown up by now.

Must be tough for Stokes when he can't get a break from his own fans though.

He's clearly no angel, but I wasn't aware of the Irish licence situation either.

Bit more to it and the press making a bigger deal out of it than it is. Otherwise it would have been a much higher penalty than 3pts and £160 fine. Agreed on other points though, he needs to get his erse in gear and start putting in the effort on and off the pitch.

With NL looking to trim the squad I just wonder if Stokesy could be one of them due to the above reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Must be tough for Stokes when he can't get a break from his own fans though.

He's clearly no angel, but I wasn't aware of the Irish licence situation either.

How can it be down to us fans he makes these decisions nobody else.

How can it be down to us fans he makes these decisions nobody else.

Obviously he's responsible for his own actions, but fans sticking him in or starting threads or perpetuating tabloid pish or regurgitating stuff strikes me as kinda sneaky. And unnecessary.

Obviously he's responsible for his own actions, but fans sticking him in or starting threads or perpetuating tabloid pish or regurgitating stuff strikes me as kinda sneaky. And unnecessary.

Should us fans not expect better from our players.

NL didn't dismiss it mate.

Maybe so but I don't see the point of the thread? We knew and more importantly Neil Lennon knew what we were signing. He's a top player. He's no angel and can behave like an arse but it's up to the manager to get the best out of him and us to support that and him.

I expect them to produce on the pitch, don't be too much of a dick and never play for Hearts.

Stokes pushes the limits, he has done in each of his 3 spells with Hibs, but it's hardly news and it's factored in when we take him on.

I didn't actually want Hibs to take him the second time, all the IRA/Elvis pish was enough to put me off. Fortunately Stubbs ignored my moral high ground and signed the two goal Scottish cup winner.

I think starting a thread to catalogue his indiscretions is poor from a Hibs fan. Start one on a jambo and I'll trawl google to add stuff though.

As fans we should expect a high standard of personal admin from players? Sorry to disappoint but a couldn’t give a flying one if a player forgets to pay a gas bill or doesn’t update the address on his license when he moves house.

I expect them to give 100% for the club, be respectful and law abiding generally. How they deal with everyday admin tasks is entirely their own issue. Unless they’re avoiding tax ;-)

Maybe so but I don't see the point of the thread? We knew and more importantly Neil Lennon knew what we were signing. He's a top player. He's no angel and can behave like an arse but it's up to the manager to get the best out of him and us to support that and him.

Sorry K but the incident was deemed serious that he got sent home and was dropped from the team and only when he apologised to NL he was allowed to train again. This is in no way a witch hunt or anything I just wish he would have grown up by now.

- - - Updated - - -

As fans we should expect a high standard of personal admin from players? Sorry to disappoint but a couldn’t give a flying one if a player forgets to pay a gas bill or doesn’t update the address on his license when he moves house.

I expect them to give 100% for the club, be respectful and law abiding generally. How they deal with everyday admin tasks is entirely their own issue. Unless they’re avoiding tax ;-)

So the decisions he has made is 100% respectful to the club..

So the decisions he has made is 100% respectful to the club..

Not sorting out his driving license is fine.

Chicken and Egg isn't it? Nobody would be pointing this out if he occasionally managed a brisk trot for the entertainment of the paying public.

Stokes gets a disgraceful level of criticism from Hibs fans. Considering he's scored 11 goals already this season and was the hero in the Scottish Cup Final win, it's weird some of the Hibs support have it in for him. The amount of times he's also the first target on the forums when we've not won is over the top as well.

You know what you're getting with him. Goals and some off-field issues. Hibs must have known that when we signed him again. I'll happily take that in exchange for him banging in another 11 goals in the second half of the season.

Chicken and Egg isn't it? Nobody would be pointing this out if he occasionally managed a brisk trot for the entertainment of the paying public.

:yeah:

Exactly. Fans will overlook an awful lot if you're producing the goods on the pitch.

I don't think, by his own admission, he has performed as he would have wished so far this season.

He was 17 when he first came over here, Arsenal 12 years ago, and has played for English/Scottish clubs ever since.

I find it quite surprising he's got an Irish driving licence!I

Anyway he has. I'd have thought in that case his agent, at the time he got his licence, might have been in a position to advise him. Are they not in some way supposed to look after their charges and prepare them for working 'abroad'?

It their club at the time.

He's been here half a season and created far too much off field nonsense without performing on the field. I'd give him to the end of the season to decide if he's worth keeping around.

Stokes gets a disgraceful level of criticism from Hibs fans. Considering he's scored 11 goals already this season and was the hero in the Scottish Cup Final win, it's weird some of the Hibs support have it in for him. The amount of times he's also the first target on the forums when we've not won is over the top as well.

You know what you're getting with him. Goals and some off-field issues. Hibs must have known that when we signed him again. I'll happily take that in exchange for him banging in another 11 goals in the second half of the season.

I think that's a fair point, he does score more goals than he sort of seems to, if that makes any sense.

Interestingly he's only scored in one game that we've won all season so maybe that has something to do with it.

edit - in the league, that is.

No idea why the hypersensitive precious modern day forum fan get so excited when there's any criticism or even a thread they deem to be negative.

Any player stupid enough to read the forums needs sectioning. Same goes for those on social media who will lap up the praise but then have a breakdown when any criticism/pelters arrive.

It's a fair thread in my mind. Stokes is clearly a phanny based on countless off the field issues. On his day, he is clearly a great footballer. That "day" should be a lot more often and while I don't agree that he doesn't work that hard, he could definitely contribute more in effort and in the penalty box.

Lennon should take a fair bit of blame and should tell the cant to get his thatched napper into the box with a degree of urgency.

I wish you all a pleasant evening :thumbgrin

There's apparently a little bit more to the situation in Portugal, overheard a bit but didn't catch it.

Try find out later

Stokes is on course for 22 goals this season. For those criticising his contribution can I ask how many you were expecting him to score when he signed? Judging by the level of criticising I assume you must have been expecting 30+?

I think he will be get closer to 25 this season, given he himself admits he hasnt performed as well as he would have liked so far. For me that would be a good return for our investment.

As for off the field, I couldnt care less. Infact no, I take that back, I am actually glad he has a bad rep off the field. If he didnt then he probably would have been playing somewhere else on 21 May 2016.

Many Hibs fans need to come to terms with reality. Strikers who score 25+, with brilliant work ethics and who are totally professional off the pitch simply do not sign for Hibs.

This all sort of reminds me of the bizarre criticism Jason used to get.

Where does 22 come from? 11 for 2017/18 season for last year and 11 to come this year.

Do we get a calculator and work out that we have had 29 games so far this season and will likely have 20 max left?

How about we forget stats and base it on how he has performed compared to how we know he can. Also whether he is always giving 100% effort.

He’s on easy street I reckon and getting by on his ability when we need a lot more starting on Sunday.

We should all be demanding more rather than accepting mediocrity too often.

Stokes is on course for 22 goals this season. For those criticising his contribution can I ask how many you were expecting him to score when he signed? Judging by the level of criticising I assume you must have been expecting 30+?

I think he will be get closer to 25 this season, given he himself admits he hasnt performed as well as he would have liked so far. For me that would be a good return for our investment.

As for off the field, I couldnt care less. Infact no, I take that back, I am actually glad he has a bad rep off the field. If he didnt then he probably would have been playing somewhere else on 21 May 2016.

Many Hibs fans need to come to terms with reality. Strikers who score 25+, with brilliant work ethics and who are totally professional off the pitch simply do not sign for Hibs.

This all sort of reminds me of the bizarre criticism Jason used to get.

He's criticizing his own contribution!!!

It's not just about goals and he knows that too.

Forget about stats when assessing a striker?

They are signed to do one main job, score goals. By far the most important way to asses a striker is to measure their scoring ratio. Any manager assessing a striker will look at this first and foremost. Effort, consistency and personality will be factors but not nearly as much, so no we cant 'forget the stats'.

If you are waiting for Hibs to sign a guy who will be one of the top scorers in Scotland, who will always perform at the top of his abilities, who always put in 100% effort, and will will be a nice guy off the pitch then you will be a long time waiting.

You do however make a good point about my lazy calculation of 11 into 22, given we are over half way through the season as you say. But the general point stands. He is on 11 at this stage and I think is fair to say he is likely to get roughly the same again by the end of the season. Maybe a few less, maybe a few more. But he is one of the top scorers in Scotland, and will likely be one of the top scorers by the end of the season. Everyone knows he is capable of doing more, but to measure n effort levels and 'forget the goal stats' is wrong.

He knows he can do more, but the criticism from many Hibs fans is over the top. Same as it was with Jason from many.

He's criticizing his own contribution!!!

He hasn't? He's praised his contribution but feels he can do more.

Easy to spin what he actually said....

His stats are decent a face value, but if you dig deeper to assess the impact of him goals and the points they’ve helped us gain, it makes pretty poor reading. It shows that he hasn’t had a big enough impact.

A 20 goal a season striker who scores mainly consolation goals at 3-0 down isn’t worth much - not saying that’s what Stokes is, but he needs to have a bigger influence on our results.

His stats are decent a face value, but if you dig deeper to assess the impact of him goals and the points they’ve helped us gain, it makes pretty poor reading. It shows that he hasn’t had a big enough impact.

A 20 goal a season striker who scores mainly consolation goals at 3-0 down isn’t worth much - not saying that’s what Stokes is, but he needs to have a bigger influence on our results.

Yep fair enough, good points, he is capable of more. But for folk to be calling to get rid of him is ridiculous.

He hasn't? He's praised his contribution but feels he can do more.

Easy to spin what he actually said....

I'm not one to particularly get on Stokes' back, I sometimes think that a little bit too much is expected of him, however, yes, I think it's fair to say he has himself criticised his contribution.

Interpret the below how you will but I don't believe it takes any spin to say that he's not satisfied with his contribution by his own high standards.

From the Daily Record:

[FONT=&amp]Stokes added: “I don’t think I’ve set the world alight in the first half of 
the season.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“I don’t know all the stats but as far as I’m concerned 20 goals is my 
minimum target for any season and to have 11 at the half way stage is 
reasonable – but I should have more than that.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“It has been a mixed season. There have been games when I’ve played really well and didn’t score.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“And there have been others when I wasn’t happy with my performance but nicked a goal here and there.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“Hopefully I can improve that in the second half of the season and be 
more consistent.[/FONT]

Yep fair enough, good points, he is capable of more. But for folk to be calling to get rid of him is ridiculous.

Is there?

I know some people including myself who want to see consistency from him especially in the bigger games but haven't seen anyone calling for him to go.

The OP did I think?

The OP did I think?

He did indeed.

Football wise I wouldn't even consider getting rid of Stokes, it's the off field stuff that bothers me. Rumors of bust ups, breaking curfews and turning up late or not at all to training is my biggest concern. There's no smoke without fire, and Stokes has previous for being on fire

The OP did I think?
Just said he needs to grow up.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just said he needs to grow up.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

And also asked should Lennon look to sell him.

And also asked should Lennon look to sell him.

Fair play read that as though more were calling to get rid as in unwanted,.

This thread has been viewed 11351 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50