• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Stokes on loan

NW

Private Member
Reaction score
Seemingly Blackburn will not pay him off but will take a payment to cover wages etc of £250,000 for a year loan

Seemingly Blackburn will not pay him off but will take a payment to cover wages etc of £250,000 for a year loan

I'd have concerns over his fitness...

How does that work? We pay a part of his wage each week as normal in these deals AND a lump sum 250k to get him for a year. That'll be around the full 8k a week he is rumoured to be on!!

What I've been told is we pay Blackburn 250 and they do rest.

How does that work? We pay a part of his wage each week as normal in these deals AND a lump sum 250k to get him for a year. That'll be around the full 8k a week he is rumoured to be on!!

To me it reads like the 250k covers everything? It's 5k a week plus or minus, depending on the contract 'year'.

What's that per week for around 10 months? Over 5k so not a chance it'll happen

It's a lot of money for a loan player.

Loan fees are common now, it's not such a big deal.
It's like paying a fee for a year long contract

What's that per week for around 10 months? Over 5k so not a chance it'll happen

Why not? Surely managers call how budget spent? Clearly he is number 1 target

Why not? Surely managers call how budget spent? Clearly he is number 1 target

Because we haven't paid out that sort of wage for 15 plus years and are nearer half that for top end.

I'd rather two players for that wage.....on permanent deals.

Pipe dream unless the weekly wage equivalent comes down.

Because we haven't paid out that sort of wage for 15 plus years and are nearer half that for top end.

I'd rather two players for that wage.....on permanent deals.

Pipe dream unless the weekly wage equivalent comes down.

We are not paying his wages though, we are paying a loan fee. Even still surely Lennon is allowed to spend the budget how he wants?

Come on. It's equivalent of more than 5k a week for a loan signing whatever way it is structured and comes out our budget.

Lennon knows what's available and even if by miracle he was allowed to overpay that for Stokes I couldn't see him spunking 250k away.

We will not pay that. Surely recent weeks have given a reality check??

250k would be a fair fee for us to pay on a promising younger player like Berry on a permanent deal.

Blackburn won't get that dough from anyone else either hence reason it will drag on like Whittaker negotiations.

Where did this 250k gospel come from anyway.

Reality - Let's just sign a Simon church type on 2k or another Ally Graham for less....

It seems @thefamily gets it tight for it seems everything, but so many folk seem to know what wages we pay! How does everyone know the wages? And if they're wrong, do they get slaughtered like the family
No wonder this place is quiet

If Lennon knows what's available then are you saying he will not be allowed to spend 250 or 5 k per week in on player ?

Surely if we had bid 250k for berry ans with his wages on top what is the difference

Can't see us spending 250k for a year honestly think about it.

I'm quite sure there will be some sort of financial calculations done that will indicate whether shelling out that sort of money will make any sort of return or indicate how much of a loss.

I'm also sure there will be a football win factor built into it.

Basically what we're all doing in our heads but more scientifically :-)

I still canny see it ending up with a tick in the buy box!

Then you are saying the manager isn't in charge of his budget?

If Lennon knows what's available then are you saying he will not be allowed to spend 250 or 5 k per week in on player ?

Surely if we had bid 250k for berry ans with his wages on top what is the difference

I seriously doubt he would get agreement in that instance.

HUGE difference with Berry as we'd own that ****.

Where's this coming from?

A guy i know who does business with a number of English clubs called me this morning to say that since they cannot sort a pay off they are willing to deal on this basis.

- - - Updated - - -

I seriously doubt he would get agreement in that instance.

HUGE difference with Berry as we'd own that ****.

Yes that's fair point, I was more trying to say that if manager has the funds it's his call. I think we would end up having first fall in Stokes and it would all tie in

I think we will get him but for nearer 150k all in whether up front or 3k+ towards his weekly wage contribution.

Both clubs and stokes want it but as usual it will drag on.

A guy i know who does business with a number of English clubs called me this morning to say that since they cannot sort a pay off they are willing to deal on this basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that's fair point, I was more trying to say that if manager has the funds it's his call. I think we would end up having first fall in Stokes and it would all tie in

I agree its probably the managers call but he'd have to think about harmony in the squad. Someone coming in and costing the club double what they are will cause resentment. Even George Best didn't get on with everyone and then there was Steve Archibald! But don't mention wee fat Joe!

I agree its probably the managers call but he'd have to think about harmony in the squad. Someone coming in and costing the club double what they are will cause resentment. Even George Best didn't get on with everyone and then there was Steve Archibald! But don't mention wee fat Joe!

Fair shout jack, I guess all clubs have this to deal with and if the manager thinks it's the player to take us up a notch then it should be the. Extra incentive for all players to play to a level to get a better contract here or away.
Matchwinners like Stokes was on 21 May will always command a premium.

Matchwinners like Stokes was on 21 May will always command a premium.

I was going to start a thread on this very subject.

Are we, as Hibs supporters, maybe putting too much faith in these players?

Yeah they'll never have to buy a pint in Leith ever again, they'll always have a place in our hearts.

But. Football is a team sport and individual players will move on for all sorts of reasons.

Stokes is a 2 goal hero but should we burst the bank, perhaps to the detriment of the rest of the team, for him?

Should we keep heroes beyond their sell by date?

Should we just keep the fond memories of that day ... and like the players move on and look to get new heroes in and new memories?

I think we should always push the boat out for matchwinners but no player should get preferential treatment for being a hero in past success. On that basis sir David gray would have a deal until end of time ....

I was going to start a thread on this very subject.Are we, as Hibs supporters, maybe putting too much faith in these players?Yeah they'll never have to buy a pint in Leith ever again, they'll always have a place in our hearts.But. Football is a team sport and individual players will move on for all sorts of reasons.Stokes is a 2 goal hero but should we burst the bank, perhaps to the detriment of the rest of the team, for him?Should we keep heroes beyond their sell by date?Should we just keep the fond memories of that day ... and like the players move on and look to get new heroes in and new memories?
Good shout and something that crossed my mind at ER on Sunday as Lewis did his lap of honour. It was quite emotional and it hit me how it will feel when he leaves or when Super leaves and so on...And I had only a week before had the weirdest "argument" with him over me saying thank you to him for all he has done but most importantly the cup win last year - him saying thank you back profusely and me saying to him to stop that and just accept the thanks from me. He's some laddie and I love him for it. But there's the rub...we will all feel sadder at any of them leaving and more excited by talk of their return but we need to be sure that it is right for the club and not just loyalty or love.

I'm not so sure he is a bad move but the terms in OP are hopefully different or have some other longer term benefit for Hibs. His performance on that great day shows he still has more than enough in his tank to run riot on the pitch. His fitness and match sharpness may be an issue the longer he is out in the cold but playing regular football is the best remedy and that is exactly what he'll get at Hibs.

If we pay £250,000 for a one year deal and he does the business, we're back to square one in 12 months. Some club wil offer him more money and he'll likely move on. Can't say I'm too enthused about paying a quarter of a million for a 12 months loan.

If we pay £250,000 for a one year deal and he does the business, we're back to square one in 12 months. Some club wil offer him more money and he'll likely move on. Can't say I'm too enthused about paying a quarter of a million for a 12 months loan.

Nor am I to be honest...and I really can't see that arrangement happening.
Stokes is a great striker IMO. Look even beyond his monumental performance in the Cup final. Lennon had him at Celtic and got the best out of him there. He is a big game player...his performance against Hibs in the 2013 SC Final was another MOTM. 21 goals he scored for Hibs in his one season with us when Yogi was in charge. As I have said before my big concern with Stokesy is twofold...his off field problems and general character, from what I have heard he doesn't mix well with his teammates, but more importantly his fitness and match sharpness. He hasn't played a competitive game for many months and will have missed all our pre-season games. Lennon however is clearly a big fan and he looks like he wants to play the long game in order to get the player he wants. Really hope we can get this done.

The Sun reporting that we are being priced out of a move for Stokes.

Guess it's cash or career. For Stokes if he wants money Hibs ain't his best bet, if he wants to play and enjoy it, Hibs are likely his best bet.

Guess it's cash or career. For Stokes if he wants money Hibs ain't his best bet, if he wants to play and enjoy it, Hibs are likely his best bet.

Yeah Kenny Millar saying he needs us more than we need him and interestingly he mentions other strikers are available.

I wouldn't have thought that there were too many clubs in England these days willing to take a gamble with a player like Stokes, who let's be honest, has been a complete flop in English football. His best days have been in the Scottish game with Falkirk, Hibs and Celtic. I'm still hopeful we can get him but that Sun report doesn't look too promising. His girlfriend lives in Edinburgh so that hopefully will make it more likely he will choose to come to Hibs.

I wouldn't have thought that there were too many clubs in England these days willing to take a gamble with a player like Stokes, who let's be honest, has been a complete flop in English football. His best days have been in the Scottish game with Falkirk, Hibs and Celtic. I'm still hopeful we can get him but that Sun report doesn't look too promising. His girlfriend lives in Edinburgh so that hopefully will make it more likely he will choose to come to Hibs.
[MENTION=7776]westsidehibs[/MENTION] said Aberdeen were interested mate

Always going to be bigger offers on the table for Stokesy. He'd be daft not to look at them.

Still have a feeling he'll be a Hibs player come the end of the transfer window. No info, just my gut feeling.

the deal clincher has to be the 'free Guinness' for the duration of his contract at Hibs :beer_1_pr

Yeah Kenny Millar saying he needs us more than we need him and interestingly he mentions other strikers are available.

We need him just as much, if not more. And we won't get a better striker than Stokes. People go on and on about Moult but Stokes is a far better striker than him.

Hibs are obviously happy to scrape the barrel at the end of the window.

Another thing....every Scottish football fan knows that English clubs could "blow Hibs out of the water" when it comes to financial offers to Anthony Stokes. It doesn't take a Sun reporter to inform us of this patently obvious fact. Presumably then Hibs would have been aware of this for a long time and therefore the whole situation might be more advanced towards him coming to Hibs than we are being led to believe in the media this morning. RE; this Aberdeen obsession which seems to have taken grip of everyone over the summer..I know they have been splashing the cash a bit, out of necessity I might add due to the quality of players they have lost since last season, and this spending is due in no small part to the Californian businessman who has invested more then £1 Million into the club (the reason IMO McInness stayed along with a big pay increase no doubt), but I doubt having spent a lot already that they would be able or willing to pay the sort of wages Stokes would be looking for any more than Hibs could.

We need him just as much, if not more. And we won't get a better striker than Stokes. People go on and on about Moult but Stokes is a far better striker than him.

Hibs are obviously happy to scrape the barrel at the end of the window.

Stokes is a very good striker, but so is Moult...and he's been a regular scorer in the SPL the past 2 years.

It's all about perspective though. Scraping at the end of the window, or waiting for the right player. Would you prefer that we sign a player early for the sake of it - or biding our time for the right guy. For the record i would want us to get players in early, but only if they're players that would improve us.

From reading the article Stokes is wanting to come to us but is wanting hibs to pay more in wages .
If there is much better offers then with 200k to pay to Elvis then it's a no brainer .
If we did lose out to Aberdeen who are supposedly after him then it would be very disappointing like someone has already posted a guy only invested a million in them .
We will probably have to pay big wages to get him it will be upto the Club to consider if he's worth it.

This thread has been viewed 13160 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back