• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

SPFL review

Hammi

Cable Selling Radge
Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Seems like Ron was serious about trying to improve scottish football as a whole.

No Hunco or Celtic mentioned, findings to be made public. Or the "key points at least.

I'll predict nowt will change.

It'll be interesting if the review finds that the SPFL's commercial nous is so poor that current income levels for clubs outside the bigot brothers could be maintained even if we told the cheeks to gtf. Would open up the opportunity of a breakaway league without them (or open to them subject to terms laid down by the other teams).

I'll predict nowt will change.

I think we'll get more revenue streams sometime in the future, expand our scope or broaden our horizons.
But there won't be much change at the top.

Smaller clubs will benefit more than the likes of us, Hearts or Aberdeen. Our incomes are dependent on sourcing our own partners and European football.

Of the five clubs involved four are American owned, plus Auld Budgie. Read into that what you will.

Of the five clubs involved four are American owned, plus Auld Budgie. Read into that what you will.
For Auld Budgie, read James Anderson. Isn't he in the States now?

For Auld Budgie, read James Anderson. Isn't he in the States now?
Could nae tell you, I thought he was a darts player?

Budgie, if indeed it is her now, will be at the forefront. She will be giving her vision of how to waste millions to achieve relegation.

ah thought he wis a cricketer? leg end

Gary, good Hibby I’m told.

Our PR and communications seems a bit of a shambles at the minute. There’s nothing about this on the Hibernian website/socials, yet Hearts and Aberdeen were issuing full statements about this.

Four Americans and her? All are anti-relegation, so closed shop recommendation in the pipeline I suspect

ah thought he wis a cricketer? leg end
The Burnley Lara

Four Americans and her? All are anti-relegation, so closed shop recommendation in the pipeline I suspect
We could have demotion instead

We could have demotion instead
Expelegation.
:53:

Our PR and communications seems a bit of a shambles at the minute. There’s nothing about this on the Hibernian website/socials, yet Hearts and Aberdeen were issuing full statements about this.

Hearts love a statement though.

• Haha
Reactions: Zab
Until the voting structure changes to not suit the OF nothing will change, think clubs out with the OF should make a stand for change.

Until the voting structure changes to not suit the OF nothing will change, think clubs out with the OF should make a stand for change.
Get them tae fuck? Aye!

Get them tae fuck? Aye!
My only concern with the prospective demise of the The Huns is that the hordes of bigots and arseholes who currently follow them would simply drag their flutes and flags to Gorgie and bring that bile closer to our homes but with little dilution.

Then there's the sky deal. They won't be happy with two Rangers v Celtic games a season. So no go from the start.

My only concern with the prospective demise of the The Huns is that the hordes of bigots and arseholes who currently follow them would simply drag their flutes and flags to Gorgie and bring that bile closer to our homes but with little dilution.
The Huns and Smellies will never disappear ,fact! My wish is they get sucked into a 'Super Big Time Fantastic Euro League' and leave the SPL. Whatever happens after that, I couldn't give a fuck ,as long as they don't try to get back into Scottish football again.
They are carbuncles that feed off and deserve each other.The rest of Scottish football don't!

The Huns and Smellies will never disappear ,fact! My wish is they get sucked into a 'Super Big Time Fantastic Euro League' and leave the SPL. Whatever happens after that, I couldn't give a fuck ,as long as they don't try to get back into Scottish football again.
They are carbuncles that feed off and deserve each other.The rest of Scottish football don't!
Decent outcome.

Decent outcome.
It is, but my hate for these *&*^ affects my 'retirement' and the daily walks I take with my 2 year old dog.
I nod, say hello, even chat to every dog walker/owner I meet without reservation until some arsehole approaches wearing his old firm or gunts top as badge of pride to walk his dog. Potential dialogue finished.

It's difficult to see what the plan actually is with the clubs involved in this. Raising the profile of the scottish game ? Unfortunately only the Old Firm have any attraction to TV companies and fans from outwith Scotland. Voting rights within the SPFL...yep. the Old Firm control most of that as well. Having a bigger league ? Would TV companies find that acceptable with fewer Old Firm games every season, and there is not much evidence to say that bringing in 5 or 6 additional clubs would improve the overall standard of the league anyway.

I do think something has to be done though. I just don't know what though. People say the SPFL is a good league because we have more meaningful games, and there is a split which provides excitement right to the end of the season, however it's far from ideal.

The biggest problem we have in scottish football is that the SPFL Premiership is not a league at all. Any domestic competition where the winners are known before the competition actually starts is not a league and not a competition. That's what we have had since the mid 80's, and even at that time you always got the sense that the dominance of the New Firm of Aberdeen and Dundee United was just a temporary blip in the "natural order" of things and sure enough it was.

The only way I can really see to make the League better in the long term is to equalise the resources a bit, whether by using TV money as a balance or revenue sharing more, or even instituting some kind of player draft or similar. But basically since the Huns and Celtic would have to give up some of their (currently huge) slice of the pie I can't see it happening.

Long term I think the mood here is the right one. It's not good for the health of the competition to have it so dominated by them and ultimately, little by little, it's sucking interest and therefore money and therefore quality and entertainment out of the Scottish game.

You can bet your bottom dollar they'd be allowed tae leave a " wee" team in the spfl in case things didnae turn out

It is, but my hate for these *&*^ affects my 'retirement' and the daily walks I take with my 2 year old dog.
I nod, say hello, even chat to every dog walker/owner I meet without reservation until some arsehole approaches wearing his old firm or gunts top as badge of pride to walk his dog. Potential dialogue finished.
You’re not alone in having that ‘attitude’ - I also ignore chaps attired similarly on holidays abroad but happily nod to others with ill fitting tops of their chosen teams.

The biggest problem we have in scottish football is that the SPFL Premiership is not a league at all. Any domestic competition where the winners are known before the competition actually starts is not a league and not a competition. That's what we have had since the mid 80's, and even at that time you always got the sense that the dominance of the New Firm of Aberdeen and Dundee United was just a temporary blip in the "natural order" of things and sure enough it was.

Interesting take that, can’t say I agree.

Firstly the winners aren’t know in advance, considering there’s generally two clubs challenging each other.

Secondly I’d also suggest that most leagues in the world have established dominant clubs, Scotland is not unique in that way at all. England goes through cycles of who the dominant clubs are, but ultimately there’s only ever two or three teams capable of winning the league in any given season.

A league isn’t just about the winners, it’s about fighting for every position where every point matters, so I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion it’s not a competition… To me it’s the essence of competition.

Interesting take that, can’t say I agree.

Firstly the winners aren’t know in advance, considering there’s generally two clubs challenging each other.

Secondly I’d also suggest that most leagues in the world have established dominant clubs, Scotland is not unique in that way at all. England goes through cycles of who the dominant clubs are, but ultimately there’s only ever two or three teams capable of winning the league in any given season.

A league isn’t just about the winners, it’s about fighting for every position where every point matters, so I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion it’s not a competition… To me it’s the essence of competition.
I mean there is no competition about who wins the competition we are taking part in even before it starts.....it's as you say one of only two clubs (I stand corrected !). 10 clubs know before it even starts that they have no chance of winning the competition they are about to take part in. That to me is not a competition and not a proper league. Just my view.

I mean there is no competition about who wins the competition we are taking part in even before it starts.....it's as you say one of only two clubs (I stand corrected !). 10 clubs know before it even starts that they have no chance of winning the competition they are about to take part in. That to me is not a competition and not a proper league. Just my view.

Not that you're wrong, but I bet Leicester didn't think they would win the Premiership.

It can be done. It needs the rest of the league to be a bit stronger to take some points off those 2 clubs a bit more regularly.
They'll still attract the same caliber of player they do now imo, whereas I think that the rest of us could attract better than we currently can.
The gap could be closed, their squad depth is probably always going to be deeper, but I dont think the gap is as big as everyone makes out.

It wouldn't be as straight forward as that, it would take a bit of time.

I get what you’re saying, but to me that’s totally missing the point of what competitive sport actually is. Not everyone is in it to win it (or is actually capable), only a small percentage are. That’s as true of the Scottish Premiership as it is of the 100m sprint, the Open Golf, F1, NFL or any other competition. Everyone wants to win, and elite athletes/coaches believe they can, but success is defined in different ways.

With regards to football if you apply that view across Europe how many “proper” leagues are there? Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands and Turkey are all in the same boat.

Challenging for a Europe position is competition, as is a top six position, or battling against relegation. League football isn’t only about winning it.

I get what you’re saying, but to me that’s totally missing the point of what competitive sport actually is. Not everyone is in it to win it (or is actually capable), only a small percentage are. That’s as true of the Scottish Premiership as it is of the 100m sprint, the Open Golf, F1, NFL or any other competition. Everyone wants to win, and elite athletes/coaches believe they can, but success is defined in different ways.

With regards to football if you apply that view across Europe how many “proper” leagues are there? Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands and Turkey are all in the same boat.

Challenging for a Europe position is competition, as is a top six position, or battling against relegation. League football isn’t only about winning it.
I accept totally what you are saying, however for me there is no point entering any competition in any walk of life if you don't go all out to win it and you don't think you have a chance of winning it.

No club outside the Old Firm has won the top league since 1985, a full 36 years ago. I might be wrong but I suspect none of the countries you have mentioned can boast a stat like that.

I accept totally what you are saying, however for me there is no point entering any competition in any walk of life if you don't go all out to win it and you don't think you have a chance of winning it.

No club outside the Old Firm has won the top league since 1985, a full 36 years ago. I might be wrong but I suspect none of the countries you have mentioned can boast a stat like that.
Consider yourself lucky you're not a Portuguese football fan where with one exception the league title has only been won by Sporting, Benfica or Porto since 1947!

And we fuckin shat it (collectively) when we had the chance to end the 11-1 voting structure. Aberdeen I believe had the casting vote.

Not that you're wrong, but I bet Leicester didn't think they would win the Premiership.

It can be done. It needs the rest of the league to be a bit stronger to take some points off those 2 clubs a bit more regularly.
They'll still attract the same caliber of player they do now imo, whereas I think that the rest of us could attract better than we currently can.
The gap could be closed, their squad depth is probably always going to be deeper, but I dont think the gap is as big as everyone makes out.

It wouldn't be as straight forward as that, it would take a bit of time

Since this is the season the champions get automatic entry to the champions league couldn't the 10 teams agree to lie down to one team (hibs /Aberdeen etc) but try like fuck against celtic and rangers. Sure they'd drop enough points to ensure neither were champions 🤣

I take your point but I'm not sure the situation is ingrained in the same way in a lot of the competitions you mention. At the start of the season there might be only a few teams or individuals who can win it but that list does tend to change a bit in most leagues.

The New York Jets definitely won't win the Super Bowl this year but they easily might in five or six years; I will go out on a limb and say there is no way Motherwell will win the SPL in the next 30 years. Probably 50.

At the moment I actually think we attract slightly better players than our budget would in other leagues. I looked at our average pay a while back and our mean wage was about the same as Mk Dons' ( that may be a bit out of date now) but I think we get generally higher quality players than clubs of that calibre and level for a variety of reasons.

Consider yourself lucky you're not a Portuguese football fan where with one exception the league title has only been won by Sporting, Benfica or Porto since 1947!
Oh for a 'big three'! :)

It's difficult to see what the plan actually is with the clubs involved in this. Raising the profile of the scottish game ? Unfortunately only the Old Firm have any attraction to TV companies and fans from outwith Scotland. Voting rights within the SPFL...yep. the Old Firm control most of that as well. Having a bigger league ? Would TV companies find that acceptable with fewer Old Firm games every season, and there is not much evidence to say that bringing in 5 or 6 additional clubs would improve the overall standard of the league anyway.

I do think something has to be done though. I just don't know what though. People say the SPFL is a good league because we have more meaningful games, and there is a split which provides excitement right to the end of the season, however it's far from ideal.

"That's what we have had since the mid 80's, and even at that time you always got the sense that the dominance of the New Firm of Aberdeen and Dundee United was just a temporary blip in the "natural order" of things and sure enough it was."

It might have been a blip but it was bloody marvelous nonetheless. What I remember of that period was the sheer pride in being Scottish watching both United and Aberdeen beating some of Europe's biggest clubs.
Let's not forget dancing about the terracing at ER (against United) hearing the news from Dens. Blip?? Period of history remembered with joy.
(yes I know....apart from Aberdeen LCF)

This thread has been viewed 2316 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back