• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Some Hibs gossip

This is the nice problem we have just now.

None of our starting 11 are bad players, that's why we are in the top 4. An established Scottish Prem CB that got a few U-21 shouts and a single Scotland cap will be competition to Paul Hanlon but unlikely to be a massive improvement.

Getting better than we have will be hard with our budget.
Big/wee Ron has stated that it's his intention we will become better on the pitch.

If that is to happen then we need to recruit better players rather than 'just' replace as good as we've got. We need players to displace the players we have if that ambition is to be achieved.

Having said that I can see it being an evolution rather than a revolution.

This guy has the potential to be part of that evolution.

Defensive midfield? Covers central defence.

He was a talent leaving the SPL, in America just now? Not sure what that will have done for his game?

He was playing at right back, not as a defensive midfielder, after yesterday a centre half who is quicker than Hanlon is a priority. I said elsewhere we were three players short of being a very good team, a new centre half on Hanlon’s side, a replacement for Drey Wright and another striker as it’s obvious that JR & Co don’t fancy Gullan.

He may be a priority in view of our defensive players not getting any younger.
Hanlon, Gray, Macgregor and Stevenson are all in their thirties.
Not in itself a reason to write them off, but if JR sees Cadden as a replacement for any of them then it's a sensible move.
With the added plus of having the ability to adapt to several playing positions.

I understand what you are saying in regards to our players not getting any younger, tbh I would be surprised if we did make our January targets public knowledge after what has happened the last time. Just have to wait and see and if we do sign Cadden then I will be right behind it.

What i read was he was a centre back but that could be shite. In fairness a better CB than Hanlon is needed.

If that is true then this kind of signing would make more sense if it’s true ?

Regarding PH , I have always been of the opinion Hibs have played him out of position his whole career. A left sided midfielder all day long. He is skilful , calm , athletic and can see a pass.
But what do I know? Surely if that was correct, one other of his many managers would have tried it out.

Cadden has been around for a while but I just realised he is only 24, I also understand he can play right back, right wing, or even as a box to box midfielder, maybe the latter role will be the type of position JR is thinking about. Couldn’t see him being at right back as we have McGinn for that position.

Hopefully this will alert the Sheep so he ends up their and we get our real targets.
Who are the real targets?

Who are the real targets?

No idea who they are.

What do you think Ross’s prefered formation is? I don’t think he wants to play 2 up, I think he does because of the balance of the squad.

I think his preference is 4 at the back too, but we have 3 very good left backs, and a shortage in the other positions.

On paper we have a good midfield with plenty options, but in practise it doesn’t quite click and injuries have left us exposed.

that all said it’s still been a very good season so far, apart from the big games - hope we put that right in the league cup

What do you think Ross’s prefered formation is? I don’t think he wants to play 2 up, I think he does because of the balance of the squad.

I think his preference is 4 at the back too, but we have 3 very good left backs, and a shortage in the other positions.

On paper we have a good midfield with plenty options, but in practise it doesn’t quite click and injuries have left us exposed.

that all said it’s still been a very good season so far, apart from the big games - hope we put that right in the league cup

One up front doesn’t work for us, your right though we need a better balance through the team, hopefully January’s additions will bring us that.

It hasn't helped that two of our major signings in the summer, Jamie Murphy and Kyle Magennis have been plagued with injuries and we have lost our most creative player Scott Allan to illness. Drey Wright also looks to me as if he is still getting himself back to full fitness. We saw signs yesterday that he is getting there, but we bought him as an attacking player with pace and skill and he has yet to show that in a Hibs jersey.

In terms of formation, I don't think we will see Ross's preferred formation till next season. We will tweak the squad in January I think with a couple of loan deals till the end of the season to tide us over, then in the summer hopefully if we have enough funds, we will see more long term additions arriving. Much depends on how Covid behaves and if we look like getting fans back for the start of the new season. Season ticket sales for next season are the big elephant in the room at the moment in terms of forward planning.

You can only work with what you have and so far this season the manager has, with one or two exceptions, got the most out of what he has available to him.

I think his preference is probably 4231. That said he’s shown himself to very adapt and flexible with regards to tactics, which I find to be one of his strengths. Rather than shoehorn players into his system, he finds a system that suits the personnel available.

I think we need to have two forwards on the park to suit our forward players, so swapping between a 442 and a 352 is going to be how we play for the remainder of the season.

If that’s the case adding a real poacher to the squad is a priority. That kind of player would compliment what Doidge, Nisbet, Boyle and Murphy bring to the forward areas. They won’t all start at the same time, but gives us a different option.

We seriously lack depth at centre half, over the next couple of windows we need to sign a big commanding centre back to replace Darren McGregor and find a long term replacement for Paul Hanlon. Perhaps that could be either Josh Doig or Sean Mackie, but if not then it’s another signing that has to be made most likely in the summer.

Finally if we are to play 352 on a more regular basis, we need a proper right wing back. Stephen O’Donnell would be an excellent addition, but depends if he’s got options in England lined up. He’d also be competition at right back for the excellent Paul McGinn, who also looks very assured at centre half.

No idea who they are.
So is he not a real target?

So is he not a real target?

Pretty stupid of us if he is, we wouldn’t have learned anything from the last time we mentioned our targets.

Pretty stupid of us if he is, we wouldn’t have learned anything from the last time we mentioned our targets.
When have Hibs mentioned he's a target?

I dont think the cloak & dagger approach works in this day and age.
Agents.
Not the secret kind.

When have Hibs mentioned he's a target?

Where have I said that?

I think his preference is probably 4231. That said he’s shown himself to very adapt and flexible with regards to tactics, which I find to be one of his strengths. Rather than shoehorn players into his system, he finds a system that suits the personnel available.

I think we need to have two forwards on the park to suit our forward players, so swapping between a 442 and a 352 is going to be how we play for the remainder of the season.

If that’s the case adding a real poacher to the squad is a priority. That kind of player would compliment what Doidge, Nisbet, Boyle and Murphy bring to the forward areas. They won’t all start at the same time, but gives us a different option.

We seriously lack depth at centre half, over the next couple of windows we need to sign a big commanding centre back to replace Darren McGregor and find a long term replacement for Paul Hanlon. Perhaps that could be either Josh Doig or Sean Mackie, but if not then it’s another signing that has to be made most likely in the summer.

Finally if we are to play 352 on a more regular basis, we need a proper right wing back. Stephen O’Donnell would be an excellent addition, but depends if he’s got options in England lined up. He’d also be competition at right back for the excellent Paul McGinn, who also looks very assured at centre half.

O’Donnell would be a great signing.

Reactions: Zab
I think Paul Hanlon has had in general, a fine season. Yes he was slow to react to Hagi’s run but that’s football.

Cant understand why some are so keen to replace him. I think he compares well to the best defenders in the SPL.

I think Paul Hanlon has had in general, a fine season. Yes he was slow to react to Hagi’s run but that’s football.

Cant understand why some are so keen to replace him. I think he compares well to the best defenders in the SPL.
Paul has been Paul for his whole career at Hibs. Mostly steady defender with a good eye for a pass. Makes the odd mistake, scores the odd crucial goal. Said it before on here, Paul’s auld man was an excellent fitba player but a nice guy, nae badness in him. Paul’s got the same temperament. Like the rest of our 2016 heroes he’s getting on a bit now and I think next season he will, like SDG and Darren, be used sparingly.

Quote: Like the rest of our 2016 heroes he’s getting on a bit now and I think next season he will, like SDG and Darren, be used sparingly.

He’s still 30 and has another couple of seasons at least after this one with us and I’d imagine first choice for most of that. I’d hope we can get better but like Stevenson we’ve never improved on him for countless years now.

Someone will soon start saying he’s too slow when he was never quick in the first place and the hard of thinking sheep will be all over that thereafter on a weekly basis. Porto will be with us for few years yet unless he cuts out the Ibrox type mistake. Think I read someone saying he was a “rock”. Deary me.

Ive no idea where this Cadden centre back stuff came from either. Then there’s talk we don’t need him as we have McGinn for right back but then O’Donnell would be a great signing!!

Seems to be an expectation from some that despite well documented financial issues for all clubs this year with no fans that we’ll be signing 2 or 3 more in January. Ship out some Sh1te like Deirdre Wright and maybe there’s “wiggle room”.

Alan Campbell anyone?

Quote: Like the rest of our 2016 heroes he’s getting on a bit now and I think next season he will, like SDG and Darren, be used sparingly.

He’s still 30 and has another couple of seasons at least after this one with us and I’d imagine first choice for most of that. I’d hope we can get better but like Stevenson we’ve never improved on him for countless years now.

Someone will soon start saying he’s too slow when he was never quick in the first place and the hard of thinking sheep will be all over that thereafter on a weekly basis. Porto will be with us for few years yet unless he cuts out the Ibrox type mistake. Think I read someone saying he was a “rock”. Deary me.

Ive no idea where this Cadden centre back stuff came from either. Then there’s talk we don’t need him as we have McGinn for right back but then O’Donnell would be a great signing!!

Seems to be an expectation from some that despite well documented financial issues for all clubs this year with no fans that we’ll be signing 2 or 3 more in January. Ship out some Sh1te like Deirdre Wright and maybe there’s “wiggle room”.

Alan Campbell anyone?

Would love us to sign Campbell

Seemingly Aberdeen are/were interested in Cadden, if that is true we can forget it.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 62679 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back