• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Sam Stanton

moathibby

Private Member
Reaction score
See he's now plying his trade at Dundalk. Looked really usefull at one point. What went wrong? Would you have him back?

No.
Lacks bottle.

Reactions: SWH
Fabulous first touch, used to watch him warming up when he was a permanent fixture on the bench thinking he had talent.

Another that came through during useless times and never stood a chance. To shine bright and make something of yourself at that time you'd have needed to be very special. Poor team, poor environment, worse management.

Wouldn't have him back though.

Booth, Handling, Caldwell and Harris all had something to offer but was never going to happen here.
Booth toughed it out, rebuilt himself and had been very successful with St J.
Fair play. Done it the hard way, worked hard and deserves what he's done.

Add Jordon Forster to my list too, still one of the best at attacking a corner in years at Easter Road.

Had something, but not "it"

I was confident Sam was going to be a top player. His first 15/20 games , he seemed to ooze class.
It happens to a lot of players, the Adrenalin at the start must give them a huge boost, a couple of bad games and the confidence seems lost forever.

Saw the other day that Harris is now playing for Berwick Rangers

Sam Stanton had all the talent in the world. I saw him play loads of times for the Development team and he just looked a class apart. Same with Alex Harris...a very skilful, classy young player who never quite recovered his confidence after a serious injury.

It can't have been easy for Sam breaking through in Butcher's fragile team, plummeting towards relegation in early 2014. He needed proper guidance, support, and good coaching and that was in short supply at Easter Road at that time. He also just lacked the confidence, drive, and will to win needed to play at a high level. A real shame because he had all the ability.

Stanton and Harris aside.....so many young players look the part in the reserves and development teams at Hibs, then fail to cut it when given their chance in the first team. It's because the jump in standard is so huge. They will all tell you that. The pace of the game, the intensity, the pressure from the fans, the demands of the coaches, the hardened, seasoned opponents you face every week instead of young laddies. Most tend to end up playing in the lower leagues as we have seen. In other words, they were good young players at a youth team level...but not good enough to play first team football for a club like Hibs at the level we aspire to play at.

Another thing of course is that too many think they have made it when they do get into the first team, and they stop working to better themselves. The reality is you have just started a very difficult new job and it takes months and years of learning your craft if you want to succeed. Too many are just not willing to make the necessary sacrifices.

Last edited:
To my eyes, Stanton never looked anything but promising in the first team - quick, direct, skilful, but lacking an end-product. Harris on the other hand, for a while at least, actually delivered. Against Falkirk for instance in SC semi he was outstanding, and Hibs would not have won without him. He proved he could play and make a real impact at that level. Fast forward to the depressing sight of Harris against Hamilton in the play-off games, bereft of confidence, utterly failing to make any impact in the games and seemingly our of his depth. I would love to sit down with Terry Butcher, who despite his litany of faults seems like an honest fucker, and ask him what in name of Christ was going through your head bringing Harris on in the second leg after his abysmal performance in the first. Were you trying to fuck with the laddie's head, Terry?

Managers and coaches don't make players -players make players, they have to want it, they have to work at it - but managers and coaches can sure unmake players.

Stanton flattered to deceive like many of the recent youngsters sadly other than Porteous and Doig (if he still counts as an Ex Jambo). Would be good to get at least 1 or 2 a season established. It's more like 1 youngster every 3-4 years on average that might make it in the first team.

Add Jordon Forster to my list too, still one of the best at attacking a corner in years at Easter Road.

Had something, but not "it"
I always liked Forster, I agree he was never destined for greatness but I would have thought he'd have done better than be at Kelty Hertz by the time he was 27.

Sam Stanton had all the talent in the world. I saw him play loads of times for the Development team and he just looked a class apart. Same with Alex Harris...a very skilful, classy young player who never quite recovered his confidence after a serious injury.

It can't have been easy for Sam breaking through in Butcher's fragile team, plummeting towards relegation in early 2014. He needed proper guidance, support, and good coaching and that was in short supply at Easter Road at that time. He also just lacked the confidence, drive, and will to win needed to play at a high level. A real shame because he had all the ability.

Stanton and Harris aside.....so many young players look the part in the reserves and development teams at Hibs, then fail to cut it when given their chance in the first team. It's because the jump in standard is so huge. They will all tell you that. The pace of the game, the intensity, the pressure from the fans, the demands of the coaches, the hardened, seasoned opponents you face every week instead of young laddies. Most tend to end up playing in the lower leagues as we have seen. In other words, they were good young players at a youth team level...but not good enough to play first team football for a club like Hibs at the level we aspire to play at.

Another thing of course is that too many think they have made it when they do get into the first team, and they stop working to better themselves. The reality is you have just started a very difficult new job and it takes months and years of learning your craft if you want to succeed. Too many are just not willing to make the necessary sacrifices.
I think his surname didn’t do him any favours. To have the same surname as the greatest Hibs player ever and a man who is a direct defendant of our first ever captain was, perhaps a step too much for the lad. No relation but I think we expected too much. Good luck Sam.

This thread has been viewed 1469 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50