• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Roger Hunt dead

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Private Member
Reaction score
Used to live quite close to where I lived when I was a kid , remember seeing his firms lorries .
Some striker in his day

He was a very good all-round striker. I first saw him play when as a kid I was taken to see Forest play Liverpool at the City Ground. He scored the only goal that day to see the Merseyside Reds take the two points. Strong player and good finisher who could lead the line I checked on the teams, some great players on the 'Pool team that day:

Nottingham Forest v Liverpool Sat Nov 30th 1968

Tommy Lawrence
Chris Lawler
Geoff Strong
Tommy Smith
Ron Yeats
Emlyn Hughes
Ian Callaghan
Roger Hunt
Alan Evens
Ian St John
Peter Thomson

Man: Shankly

Liverpool finished second in Dvision 1 to Leeds that season. I remember being really disappointed that Joe Baker was out injured that day (and for quite some time) after being crocked by that animal, Brian Labone at Everton. King Joe was never quite the same again.

Aww heh, Brian Labone was magnificent, I travel down to Everton with fellow members of the Brian Labone Everton SC.

RIP Roger.

Aww heh, Brian Labone was magnificent, I travel down to Everton with fellow members of the Brian Labone Everton SC.

RIP Roger.
Not for me mate sorry, he was a thug. A planned crude assault on Joe, cynically taking him out of the game after just two minutes, reputedly a game plan by Catterick before kick-off. Joe never got over that injury. Labone was hated in Nottingham.

Not for me mate sorry, he was a thug. A planned crude assault on Joe, cynically taking him out of the game after just two minutes, reputedly a game plan by Catterick before kick-off. Joe never got over that injury. Labone was hated in Nottingham.

Funny how your allegiances sway your opinions of players eh.

He was a very good all-round striker. I first saw him play when as a kid I was taken to see Forest play Liverpool at the City Ground. He scored the only goal that day to see the Merseyside Reds take the two points. Strong player and good finisher who could lead the line I checked on the teams, some great players on the 'Pool team that day:

Nottingham Forest v Liverpool Sat Nov 30th 1968

Tommy Lawrence
Chris Lawler
Geoff Strong
Tommy Smith
Ron Yeats
Emlyn Hughes
Ian Callaghan
Roger Hunt
Alan Evens
Ian St John
Peter Thomson

Man: Shankly

Liverpool finished second in Dvision 1 to Leeds that season. I remember being really disappointed that Joe Baker was out injured that day (and for quite some time) after being crocked by that animal, Brian Labone at Everton. King Joe was never quite the same again.
Great to read these reminiscences of players who have passed away from someone who actually saw them play, recently I've enjoyed your appreciations of Jimmy Greaves and particularly Denis Law. Thank you.

Hunt was Liverpool's all time record goalscorer which takes some doing when you consider the strikers they have had over the years, particularly Ian Rush.

That's the second legendary English striker gone in a week.

RIP Roger.

Funny how your allegiances sway your opinions of players eh.
Yes that's true. Labone put Baker out for the rest of that season though and basically put his career into a downward spin where he never recovered to be the player he was. That's football though...

Yes that's true. Labone put Baker out for the rest of that season though and basically put his career into a downward spin where he never recovered to be the player he was. That's football though...
Very mature ,sensible dialogue between you two guys! Nice change of late!:041:

Hunt was Liverpool's all time record goalscorer which takes some doing when you consider the strikers they have had over the years, particularly Ian Rush.

That's the second legendary English striker gone in a week.

RIP Roger.
Rush is the all time record goalscorer. Hunt is second, although he scored more league goals than Rush.
Still not too shabby, it has to be said

Also remember Roger Hunt at Bolton after Liverpool for a couple of years or so. Bolton had a bit of a knack of picking up good players later in their career such as Willie Morgan and Peter Thomson.

The player that really stood out for Liverpool in that particular game mentioned above, at least to my young eyes was winger, Peter Thomson. Tall at for a wide man at 6ft 1”, he was very, very quick and tore both full backs apart down either flank all afternoon. I’m reminded of the ‘twisted blood’ quote where Forest’s hapless left back Winfield was concerned. Quite painful to watch!

Rest in Peace Roger.

What’s the score with that big lump that signed from the Sheepies?
5 or 6 million they expected for a guy that even Pistol would have said wasn’t as good as Paul Hanlon.
Has he turned up?

What’s the score with that big lump that signed from the Sheepies?
5 or 6 million they expected for a guy that even Pistol would have said wasn’t as good as Paul Hanlon.
Has he turned up?
McKenna? I think they quite like him down there, Doc, see him as a good ‘head it and kick it’, no-nonsense centre half. He has a useful partnership with Joe Worrall at the back. Mind you, if you saw the amount of problems they have down there then you could see why they see McKenna as a bonus!

McKenna? I think they quite like him down there, Doc, see him as a good ‘head it and kick it’, no-nonsense centre half. He has a useful partnership with Joe Worrall at the back. Mind you, if you saw the amount of problems they have down there then you could see why they see McKenna as a bonus!
Cheers. That’s the guy.
I always thought he kicked it when he should have headed it and vice versa.
Abersheep always have a high opinion of themselves in my view.
Quite pleased to see them struggling- a slightly more skilful Gunt side.

Cheers. That’s the guy.
I always thought he kicked it when he should have headed it and vice versa.
Abersheep always have a high opinion of themselves in my view.
Quite pleased to see them struggling- a slightly more skilful Gunt side.
I think they reckon he does the simple things right…either that or he’s a bit simple - something like that.

Perfect summation of our friends in the north there!

Am I right in thinking one of the main strengths of Joe Baker's game was his speed? I was lucky enough to see him when he came back for his second spell at Hibs (50 years ago!!), and he was an instant hero to me. If that was him past his best, he must have been frighteningly good first time around - as the statistics of his goalscoring feats would confirm.

Am I right in thinking one of the main strengths of Joe Baker's game was his speed? I was lucky enough to see him when he came back for his second spell at Hibs (50 years ago!!), and he was an instant hero to me. If that was him past his best, he must have been frighteningly good first time around - as the statistics of his goalscoring feats would confirm.
Absolutely yes, Joe was lightening quick as well as quick-thinking. Would often see him race away from the defence and incorrectly called offside. He was also pretty feisty as well and would battle with the biggest centre-halves, no bother. He once decked the massive Ron Yeats of Liverpool after some 'treatment' and walked straight off the pitch! There's footage of him on the ground, wrestling with Norman Hunter with Joe swinging a massive left-hander at him from down around his ankles! He was completely fearless.

Playing alongside a big target man such as Frank Wignall at Forest he had an uncanny ability to latch on too those knock-downs and dispatch them into the back of the net. I'd say some of his main attributes were his instinct around the area, two-footedness, agility and combativeness. For not a big man he really was the complete centre-forward.

Hero!

I'd say some of his main attributes were his instinct around the area, two-footedness, agility and combativeness.
A great summary and pretty much how I remember him from 1971-72. He wasn't leaving anyone trailing in his wake at that stage but he certainly knew where the goal was and like you say wouldn't tolerate any nonsense from opposing defenders.

Very mature ,sensible dialogue between you two guys! Nice change of late!:041:
Agree totally, we'll have less of that sort of nonsense on here please

Of the era.

For anyone who'd like to see that great Hibernian, Joe Baker, enjoying himself whilst doing a bit of light training back in 1967, fast forward to the 1 min 50 secs mark. A great little piece of video in general, introduced by t

Nottingham Forest prepare for Cup Quarter final April v Everton 1967.

(Go to YouTube link)

Of the era.

For anyone who'd like to see that great Hibernian, Joe Baker, enjoying himself whilst doing a bit of light training back in 1967, fast forward to the 1 min 50 secs mark. A great little piece of video in general, introduced by t

Nottingham Forest prepare for Cup Quarter final April v Everton 1967.

(Go to YouTube link)

Link isn't working Stu (and no I didn't sabotage it as it was against the Blues ;)).).

Link isn't working Stu (and no I didn't sabotage it as it was against the Blues ;)).).
It was a wonderful quarter-final Mark! Anamazing game. :)

Just click on where it says 'Watch on YouTube' on the black background and you should be able to see it.

It was a wonderful quarter-final Mark! Anamazing game. :)

Just click on where it says 'Watch on YouTube' on the black background and you should be able to see it.

Hugh McIlvanney really was a fitba man, the posh weegie turn of phrase.

This thread has been viewed 1152 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back