• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Resurrecting Old threads No 1 - What team did/ does you Dad Support

What Team did/ does your Dad support?

• Hibernian

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • The Puddledrinkers

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Celtc

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The Huns

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Another club, if so, who?

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • No one

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Its silly season, so some fun by resurrecting some old threads. First one is, what team did/ does your Dad support and any thoughts on it?

My Dad is a Hibby. Weirdly I've got three mates that are Gunts. Their Dads are all Hibby's. All supporting the club of their Mum's side. The mother of my youngest laddie is from a Gunt supporting lot. Over my dead body will he be a Gunt. On a walk they took a pic of him in buggy sitting outside Tynecastle. I went fuckin tonto. Told I was sexist for assuming he will follow Daddy and not Mummy. Don't care. A sexist unrepentant Gunt hating Hibby I am.

He is home and away Bonnyrigg Rose, has been for much of his life, like his dad before him. His other team is the Rangers but as telly has managed to supply him with an almost endless supply of them he never goes anymore.

He’s originally from Harthill but moved east when he was ten. Curiously, he was a childhood friend of the late Eric Stevenson who he went to school with in Harthill and after they both moved through.

I went to my first Bonnyrigg game when I was five or six, and I’ve taken all my children to Bonnyrigg games as well as Hibs games.

I love junior/senior or as it now is all in one pyramid football.

Nae idea 🤷‍♂️

Hibs.

He went to his first Hibs game at Easter Road in 1944 and saw the Famous Five in their heyday along with his mates.
Got to know Lawrie Reilly quite well as he was a regular at the Bowlers Rest in Leith.
Took me to my first Hibs game in 1971 when I was 6.
We are a big Hibs family and most of my relations are as well.

Last edited:
Pappy Emerald loves the hibs and hates the hertz.

He chants "hes deid" before pumping Mammy Emerald after her cocoa

He wisnae intae fitba, or so I thought, until he died and I found a picture of him in a team photo in a long coat and bunnet . Nae idea in what capacity he was there, thinking he might have been the trainer as he had been in the army medical corp. He never minded me going tae watch Hibs and gave me the odd couple of Bob for my bus fares. (Most times we kipped on the bus and climbed or got a lift over at games. Or we wid steal beer bottles fae the back of the Libby Inn and resell them tae the manager)
Times were hard🥺

My dad is English of the cricket variety, said he had a soft spot for West Ham but I doubt he ever saw them play. We went to see Meadowbank Thistle once, I was already a regular Hibby. He had no idea what to do and what he did was invariably embarrassing.

Wasn't as bad as my thick as mince Spanish uncle Tony who took me to a Deportivo de La Coruña game and insisted on continually getting up, waving his arms about like a demented gibbon and calling the referee a bastard at the top of his voice in English, and some loud lengthy rants about Brian Clough, again in English.

I wish we'd been thrown out!

I'm quite happy being the first Hibby in the family and going to games with my mates from school.

My dad wasn't really into football but claimed to be a gunt.
Funnily enough when my sister traced our family tree his side of the family lived in the Cowgate around the time Hibs were started.

My father God rest his soul was born and raised in Perthshire and he followed St.Johnstone, but in saying that when we settled in Edinburgh on Easter Road, he followed the Hibs score, and staying on Easter Road I had to be a Hibee.

Raith Rovers

My uncle was a Hibby and used to take me to ER because my dad worked Saturdays and I still wanted to go to the football. Raith are still my "wee team" despite their tendency to employ ex-Jambo fuds of late.

Hibs v Raith games have a nice natured derby feel to them for me.

My Faither was a Hibby and a Scaffolder. The firm he worked for at the time I started attending ER, used to erect the camera tower in the old East Terrace, draped in a big fuck off tarpaulin. They would have to hang about till after the game to dismantle it and I'd hang about at the base nicking his sandwiches before toddling of towards leith walk for the No 16 bus hame.

Taking it back one more generation, my grandad was from Bristol, he moved to Glasgow after the first world war and the first place he stayed was Copeland Road. I guess he must have just followed the crowds because he supported the Huns. He used to tell me about past greats like Alan Morton and the 1950s when Hibs v Huns games were the Famous Five attack against the Iron Curtain defence.

My dad moved to Edinburgh from Glasgow in the 1950s. Football was not high up on his list of priorities in life - providing for his family, the Kirk, hillwalking. He must have gone to Easter Road at some point though because he told me he'd seen Gordon Smith and the others play. So he wasn't exactly a Hibs supporter, but he always wanted Hibs to win because he knew that would make me happy.

Thanks all, keep it going. Big change from the last poll, where we had unfeasibly large amount if Guntish Dads.

Thanks all, keep it going. Big change from the last poll, where we had unfeasibly large amount if Guntish Dads.
Fuck... I said FUCK THE GUNTS

My Dad was a gunt. However he was a very ill man by the time we reached the cup final in 2016. When Sir David Gray scored he jumped out his seat like Lazarus, swore in delight (he rarely swore) and was delighted for all his Hibee sons, grandchildren and my Mum, a Hibby all her days.

He supports Brighton, but he’s probably more a Hibee now, as we’ve won four trophies since he’s lived in Edinburgh and been to watch us. Brighton have won nothing AFAIK.

My dad wasn’t a great football fan, but used to attend Hibs or Gunts home games occasionally. He had a scare being trapped against crush barriers and stopped going long before I was old enough to attend.
My older brother is a Gunt, so my dad took a neutral stance between the two of us.

I think deep down he was a Gunt though, because he drove a Rover and had several cardigans.

My Dad was a Hibby all his days. From seeing them pre-World War II and then watching the Famous Five develop, through to the "Away" European game at Firhill and Turnbull's Tornadoes, his one regret was that they didn't win the Scottish Cup. Needless to say on that great day 5 years ago, he was the first person I thought of when the final whistle blew. Aye, I had a wee greet for him then, and for a dear cousin who died the month before.

My auld fella was never really into fitbaw but would tend to support whichever east coast team were playing either of the arse cheeks.
Being from Fife and of a similar age he sorta knew Jim Baxter. (I think they both done their national service together). He never liked Baxter, said he was full of himself. In fairness, Baxter was probably entitled to be full of himself.

My auld fella was never really into fitbaw but would tend to support whichever east coast team were playing either of the arse cheeks.
Being from Fife and of a similar age he sorta knew Jim Baxter. (I think they both done their national service together). He never liked Baxter, said he was full of himself. In fairness, Baxter was probably entitled to be full of himself.
Did you know Jim Baxter was a Hibs fan as a kid?

Did you know Jim Baxter was a Hibs fan as a kid?
Really? I always thought he'd been a Raith fan

Really? I always thought he'd been a Raith fan

I mind reading that he supported Hibs as a youngster, due to the famous five from memory.

Our dad was born and raised in Aberdeen and followed his local team, the first match I remember being at was Aberdeen v Motherwell. Memorable only for a bunch of scallywags running on at full time with a ball at the beach end and passing it between themselves before scoring at the other end. We would get taken to various Aberdeen games when we were younger, if trips to see our gran would coincide with home games we would go to Pittodrie. Bit awkward later on when Mickey Weir went on a solo run to score up there when I was sitting in the home end, i was trying to stand up while my uncle was trying to pull me back down in my seat.

He started taking us to ER in the late seventies, we dragged him to home end the day they won the Premier League which niggles me slighlty looking back.

One of my fondest memories is of him going nuts when John Hewitt scored the winner for them in the ECWC Final.

Mums from Middlesbrough, the last time time i was at one their matches was at Ayresome Park, Tony Mowbray scored for them that day.

I mind reading that he supported Hibs as a youngster, due to the famous five from memory.
Could well be right. I'd just assumed he supported one of the Fife teams. Every day's a school day anaw that.

Could well be right. I'd just assumed he supported one of the Fife teams. Every day's a school day anaw that.
1875 is spot on.

1875 is spot on.

Never doubted he was right. Thanks for the article, interesting stuff. Funny how that's no trumpeted by the papers when reminiscing over him.

Father Hibs daft, Gordon Smith fanatic. Family from Little Ireland since way back, all Hibees. Taken to the Cup Final in 1958. Vivid memories of home and European nights which he took me to religiously from the early 60's.

EkDVzmHXgAAL3Ax.jpeg

48395766_2180197635335042_3199352053964996608_n.jpg

BIG G

Last edited:
Another Father from down Little Ireland way who supported the Hibernians.

BIG G

Hibs-Cups-in-St.-Patricks-Church.jpg

Said celtic though he never actually went to games, think he preferred the pub

My Dad died when I was young. I remember asking him what football team he supported as a boy and he said Kings Park. At the time I thought he meant Queens Park but no it was Kings Park which is where he grew up.

My Dad died when I was young. I remember asking him what football team he supported as a boy and he said Kings Park. At the time I thought he meant Queens Park but no it was Kings Park which is where he grew up.
Who morphed into Stirling Albion after WW2.
Oddly enough I had my kids at Kings Park yesterday

My Dad was a Hibby. Born in Jane St, moved to Salamander St, then by the time of WW2 Albert St. Took me and my brother to the North Stand ;(my sister would be taken later in more enlightened times) in 1969 to see a pre season friendly against Newcastle. Then it was the Dunbar end, then in front of the Cooshed. Then in the East.
Mind you in the 80's you could have taken a chaise long to the East. A Jekyll and Hyde character, as nice as pie outside the ground, inside a shouty sweary bastard,. Him and his mate who also went with his sons, would stand there giving Benny and the refs pelters. Also when the casual stuff started he'd do that walk up to the other end which was noticed by one wag who shouted 'look the casual's godfather!' my dad was chuffed. Anyway he died too young only 68,and never got to see us lift the cup.

My brave boy saw Hibernian lift the Cup before he died. I personally do not give one Fuck what the Hibernian dimwits a few weeks ago splaffed it .

I look forward to Hibernians doing better. No surprise. Been doing it for over 60 years.

BIG G

Manchester United, like his dad. Born in 1944 he was a kid going along to watch Matt Busbys first iteration, went to Wembley for 4 consecutive FA cup finals for both Manchester teams from 54 onwards. He never really liked Scottish football so he would take me round English grounds following United in the early/mid 80s including 85 cup final when he saw United win the cup for the first time against a quality Everton team.
Can vividly remember him wanting to see Gascoigne play for Newcastle and the crowds being like nothing I’ve seen ever. Got separated outside the ground and was pretty scared, met him inside and couldn’t see a thing behind one of the goals, can’t mind which one. Named me after one of the Babes, unsure about how much my mum knew about the connection.
Still have a wee bit more than a passing interest in their results but it’s not the same anymore

It's pretty well known now that my Dad [and mum, brothers and sister] was a hearts sympathiser. I've got a cousin Rab who is a Hibby. He doesn't post on here but he's a mate of @Calzone and drinks in the Harp pre match [pre covid] so at least I'm not alone.

Rangers. My dads side of the family are Hibs or Rangers supporters going back generations. My mums side of the family are Hibs or Hearts supporters. (And one cousin who is a Motherwell fan randomly)

This thread has been viewed 2207 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back