Record players and vinyl

hibbiemacfie

Registered
Good point here about the speakers as they are probably the single most important part of any system in terms of sound quality. But in saying that no point in spending a fortune on speakers unless you’ve got the space for them and understanding neighbours
Speakers are important but they are the end of the chain. If your sources i.e Turntable, CD player or whatever sound like a bag of nails no speakers or amplifier will improve the sound of them. A higher powered amplifier should in theory handle louder volumes more comfortably than a lowered powered one. Think of a Trabant and a Ferrari! Which would you rather be driving at 70mph?

moathibby

VIP Member
Registered
Speakers are important but they are the end of the chain. If your sources i.e Turntable, CD player or whatever sound like a bag of nails no speakers or amplifier will improve the sound of them. A higher powered amplifier should in theory handle louder volumes more comfortably than a lowered powered one. Think of a Trabant and a Ferrari! Which would you rather be driving at 70mph?
I can't drive.

moathibby

VIP Member
Registered
I have been on this planet for 58 years and I have yet to hear a record player sounding like a bag of nails.

whiskas

VIP Member
Registered

Can a Trabant even reach 70mph though?
I’d probably say that in today’s world of digital and solid state electronics the difference between budget and high-end components has shrunk providing that its all impedance and output level matched. Don’t get me started on cabling!

Bal74

VIP Member
Registered
Me too, this is for my laddie. I cannae believe what folk pay for a record player!!!!
Wait til you see what the records cost - after digging mine out of the back of a cupboard last year I went into Fopp and couldn't believe the prices. 20 odd quid for an LP! Suppose there's been a bit of inflation in the c20 years since I last bought any but still

hibbiemacfie

Registered

Can a Trabant even reach 70mph though?
I’d probably say that in today’s world of digital and solid state electronics the difference between budget and high-end components has shrunk providing that its all impedance and output level matched. Don’t get me started on cabling!
Yes a Trabant can indeed reach 70mph but you and the Trabant must be situated on the West Coast of Scotland in a Force 10 with the wind at the tail of the said vehicle while descending a hill. Ah, impedance and output levels must match.... tell that to the manufacturers as the output of CD players is too high. I tend to use my attenuators to good effect.

hibbiemacfie

Registered
Wait til you see what the records cost - after digging mine out of the back of a cupboard last year I went into Fopp and couldn't believe the prices. 20 odd quid for an LP! Suppose there's been a bit of inflation in the c20 years since I last bought any but still
You are probably referring to the top quality 180gram LP's that do cost about £20.00. The LP's that were available in the 80's were of poor quality, thin almost like flexi discs. This and the the emergence of CD where the makers proclaimed perfect sound when it certainly wasn't made record sales plummet. People went and bought CD's because they believed the hype and paid a premium for the CD's too. Iirc they were about £15 then! So when you think about it £20 in this day and age isn't that bad.

Tkraz

Tigers ya Radge!
VIP Member
Registered
I went for this Sony Bluetooth approach, so I can get it on my wireless speakers and headphones - it works great, had to replace the stylus once - that was my fault though - and a spare OEM part was dead easy to come by and not expensive.

For records I go to Amazon first (I know...) but then as G said discogs.com is awesome for those hard to find records!

whiskas

VIP Member
Registered
Yes a Trabant can indeed reach 70mph but you and the Trabant must be situated on the West Coast of Scotland in a Force 10 with the wind at the tail of the said vehicle while descending a hill. Ah, impedance and output levels must match.... tell that to the manufacturers as the output of CD players is too high. I tend to use my attenuators to good effect.

Yep that’ll be dynamic range compression. The “loudness wars” of the 90s have a lot to answer for Is dynamic range compression destroying music?
This is also why adverts on TV always sound so loud even if you don’t touch the volume!

Admin
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
As a wee update, I got a new copy of Legend by Bob Marley for £18 online from a record shop down south, and a funky soul double album for a tenner in Tesco! Hope its no one of the Ktel copies of yesteryear! :3:

Chester Perry

Thank you god, for football, for Maradona.
VIP Member
Registered
As a wee update, I got a new copy of Legend by Bob Marley for £18 online from a record shop down south, and a funky soul double album for a tenner in Tesco! Hope its no one of the Ktel copies of yesteryear! :3:
Hes a student, right?

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

Can you Help At All?
Goal
£107.00
Earned
£130.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage Visit Hibs Picks