Record players and vinyl

Admin
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
Any suggestions on a cheap but decent record player? Also, where do you buy new records online atm?

whiskas

VIP Member
Registered
I just got myself a turntable and pre-amp as a belated 40th birthday present. I went for a Rega Planar 2 with matching Rega pre-amp but the main difference between the P2 and P1 is a glass platter. Same tonearm and cartridge I think.
In terms of buying vinyl I’ve mainly used Assai. As it’s near my work if we ever go back to the office my disposable income might take a battering!

Admin
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
I just got myself a turntable and pre-amp as a belated 40th birthday present. I went for a Rega Planar 2 with matching Rega pre-amp but the main difference between the P2 and P1 is a glass platter. Same tonearm and cartridge I think.
In terms of buying vinyl I’ve mainly used Assai. As it’s near my work if we ever go back to the office my disposable income might take a battering!

What did the turntable and amp set you back? Assai is just round from my office too, I have not been in my office since March!

Last edited:

whiskas

VIP Member
Registered
The P2 was £399 and the Rega ore-amp was £199. The P1 is quite a bit cheaper at £249 and you can get a cheap n cheerful preamp for about £100.
There is also a P1 plus that’s £329 but has a built in preamp.
Other brands I’d also looked at were Audiotechnica and Project but my mate recommended the Rega.

tricky

VIP Member
Registered
I’ve got a Project turntable, nothing fancy but quite happy with it.

don’t buy records online that often prefer a walk round the various shops in Edinburgh

Admin
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
I’ve got a Project turntable, nothing fancy but quite happy with it.

don’t buy records online that often prefer a walk round the various shops in Edinburgh

Aye with lockdown that isnae an option at the moment sadly.

hibbiemacfie

Registered
The Rega turntables have always been highly regarded by the Hi-Fi press and listeners alike. Project have a vast range of turntables to chose from. I have a basic little Project Elemental USB that plugs in to my laptop. My other 'Sunday' turntable is a Linn. There are also bluetooth enabled turntables on the market now.

Chester Perry

Thank you god, for football, for Maradona.
VIP Member
Registered
Depends on what your buying but can’t go wrong with Juno Records. Also Discogs market place has pretty much every record you might want.

turntable wise, you can get a cheap one, the speakers/amp and needle are more important when it comes to sound.

vasco de gama

VIP Member
Registered
I just invested in a new turntable as the kids and my wife’s grandad had knackered the old one. Also ended up buying a new amp/tuner.

The turntable is Audio Technica AtLp 140. I got it because it is close to the old classic technics decks I used to DJ with 30 odd years ago. Probably more expensive than I really needed but I got $500 from the state as a ‘thank you’ for working with dying Covid patients so wanted to buy something I wouldn’t normally splash out on.

The amp is a Sony STRDH190. It has Bluetooth so I can link it to my Spotify etc and the FM tuner is good as well. It was fairly cheap $120 as it had been ‘out the box’ but is normally only $150. Does the job.

Now I need to decide if the Tannoy speakers I got from John Lewis about 25 years ago need upgraded. Or the speaker cable I got from Richer Sounds on Chambers Street at the same time. Is that place still there? Richer Sounds not John Lewis.

Admin
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
I get my vinyl from this company. It's really an old fashioned Record Exchange. Quality rated. I have bought quite a few hard to find LPs here M.
Discogs.

BIG G

Cheers G, will check it out tonight, try to buy a few classics on HMV online last night but they wouldnae take my payment!

Admin
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
Now I need to decide if the Tannoy speakers I got from John Lewis about 25 years ago need upgraded. Or the speaker cable I got from Richer Sounds on Chambers Street at the same time. Is that place still there? Richer Sounds not John Lewis.

It is, I bought my telly there last year, still going strong.

Plasticman

VIP Member
Registered
I am using a project turntable just now and can recommend it - much better than my last two - as for records I buy from all over the place on-line, but you could look on Discogs, everything from 50p to thousands of pounds on there.

Plasticman

VIP Member
Registered
Have a look at whathifi or something on-line for the best quality speakers and amp that you can get for your budget. They do things like best speakers for under £XX and similar.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
Christ all i have is my phone , Spotify premium , a Bose Speaker , Bose noise cancelling headphones and a car stereo that plays Spotify . Reading this i cant decide if i'm modern or old fashioned :43:

moathibby

VIP Member
Registered
Nothing too fancy for me, just bought a second hand Aiwa turntable from Ebay.Works fine for me.My amp is Cambridge as is my CD' player,cant remember off hand what my tape deck is.Got them all from that place in Chamber St.Sound Control?My last record was bought in Sainsbury's best of Slade. Sainsbury's is quite good because they like to do specials like coloured vinyl. Got a gold coloured New Boots and Panties. Get quite a lot of vinyl out of charity shops,my second last LP was Deerhoof out Fopp. Not too sniffy to use Amazon.Also have a turntable with a USB connection that I got out of Aldi,works well through an app called Audacity.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
Nothing too fancy for me, just bought a second hand Aiwa turntable from Ebay.Works fine for me.My amp is Cambridge as is my CD' player,cant remember off hand what my tape deck is.Got them all from that place in Chamber St.Sound Control?My last record was bought in Sainsbury's best of Slade. Sainsbury's is quite good because they like to do specials like coloured vinyl. Got a gold coloured New Boots and Panties. Get quite a lot of vinyl out of charity shops,my second last LP was Deerhoof out Fopp. Not too sniffy to use Amazon.Also have a turntable with a USB connection that I got out of Aldi,works well through an app called Audacity.
Moaty this is a music thread mate , clothes is for another day

whiskas

VIP Member
Registered
Depends on what your buying but can’t go wrong with Juno Records. Also Discogs market place has pretty much every record you might want.

turntable wise, you can get a cheap one, the speakers/amp and needle are more important when it comes to sound.

Good point here about the speakers as they are probably the single most important part of any system in terms of sound quality. But in saying that no point in spending a fortune on speakers unless you’ve got the space for them and understanding neighbours

Latest Posts

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

Can you Help At All?
Goal
£107.00
Earned
£130.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage Visit Hibs Picks