• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Poofgate

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Today apparently

a Brechin player was sent off for calling a kelty player an effing póòf for requiring treatment after a soft foul.

was this a bizarre over reaction and or the correct punishment for completely unacceptable behaviour?

Interested in views. As far as I know the kelty player isn’t gay.

I think I’m right in saying you could call a player a “b” a “c” a hoor, but not a poof.

So basically your opening gambit is to somehow defend a homophobe.

Don’t think he said that at all Moaty.

Absolutely not, I’m interested in everyone’s views on it.

if someone calls me a poof does that make them homophobic? I’m not sure it does.

regardless though; I wonder if use of that particular word is covered by humzas hate speech laws, in which case he might be looking at a 6 game ban and a criminal record. Is that proportionate?

That's not homophobic IMO. PC culture is getting out of hand.

Not sure I understand what you're looking for views on? It's an acknowledged term of homophobic abuse and the rules state that's a red card offence. Seems straightforward enough to me.

If I call someone a poof it's homophobic regardless of what sexual predilictions a person actually favours.

Also the opposite of Political Correctness is Political Incorrectness.

FFS! It's not 1983 anymore and it's not PC getting out of hand. A lot of what's classed as PC is actually just not being a nasty bastard to minority groups.

If you call your mate a “big poof” who’s clearly not gay, I don’t see it being homophobic. Obviously it’s different if there’s someone gay around. I guess calling someone a big girls blouse is now sexist 🤔

When I were a lad I used to go for a "chinky" with absolutely zero racist intent. Then one day I learnt that the term was offensive to Chinese people so I simply stopped saying it. My life didn't get materially worse in any way, shape or form by simply removing that word from my vocabulary and because I'm not a massive snowflake I didn't feel the need to go greeting about PC gone mad, I just accepted that the word dropping out of usage made life better for some people and made fuck all difference to me.

I didn't think the term poof was derogatory anymore, for poofs anyway. It wasn't, then it was and then it wasn't again etc. However that was when I was working and when I was a liaison type person with minority groups it could well have changed again. I recently saw a list of 'acceptable' terms, just for women, that ran to about 4 pages of A4!

In terms of the footballer. Never mind (sort of) that the remark was homophobic, it was abusive, as are the other terms mentioned by @Purple & Green. That's unsporting behaviour and could be a sending off.

No one mentioned the lad is on loan from sevco..throw the book at him :grinning-smiley-045:

Der hun are " investigating "

Pay rise son?

Der hun are " investigating "

Pay rise son?
They’ll fine him for not calling the guy a fenian poof.

No one mentioned the lad is on loan from sevco..throw the book at him :grinning-smiley-045:
Huns are gonna hun.

Whatever the lads intent it’s a very poor comment and a deserved sending off.

I can imagine the pelters the ref would get if he didn’t take action and rightly so.

On a positive note, I was surprised to read this happened as it is not a term I ever hear today.

In this day and age why would you even call someone that on the pitch? Could he not think of somehting more imaginative like bawbag

A wonder if the same witch-hunt that Michael Gardyne had will apply or if it will get hushed up?
Watch this space nothing to see here

The referee should not have sent him off......He should have got him to stand with his legs apart and given the aforementioned poof a free boot at his balls. Non PC rools ya bass.

BIG G

In this day and age why would you even call someone that on the pitch? Could he not think of somehting more imaginative like bawbag

I think winding someone up by calling them a poof is more a jibe at them being 'a bit soft' rather than anything about their sexuality.
But I suppose there could still be a homophobic element to it.

A bit like calling someone a fanny. Not to be taken literally. At least not always.

Could he not have just said "yer ma's a slag" 🤣

Could he not have just said "yer ma's a slag" 🤣
Naw cos that’s slagamamaphobia, just as bad IMO.

Naw cos that’s slagamamaphobia, just as bad IMO.

How about wagamamaphobia, which is calling a footballers girlfriends mother a Japanese foodstuff.

How about wagamamaphobia, which is calling a footballers girlfriends mother a Japanese foodstuff.
Or Wigwagamamaphobia, which is calling an Native American footballers girlfriends mother a Japanese foodstuff?
Probably get Souix’d for that.

Wigwambamaphobia doesn’t seem Sweet.

Deary me. Knickers in a twist over what used to be a footstool! Are we really so outraged at a term that's in the dictionary to describe an effeminate man? Don't you think we should be hunting down the moron who attacked an emergency worker in Glasgow because he didn't like his green uniform. Nah forget him, let's publicly flay a football player for saying "poof" instead. Is describing a fellow player a bit of a girlie really up there with calling someone a dirty fenian bastard who's trying to administer first aid? Ffs what a pathetic state of affairs.

Wigwambamaphobia doesn’t seem Sweet.
I think we may have finished Hiawatha few more home wins.

I think we may have finished Hiawatha few more home wins.
Bit of a mini ha-ha there Bill.
This thread has certainly gone on a bender.

The referee should not have sent him off......He should have got him to stand with his legs apart and given the aforementioned poof a free boot at his balls. Non PC rools ya bass.

BIG G
Ye cannae beat it! The efficacy of a right good kick in the hee-haws!!!

If you call your mate a “big poof” who’s clearly not gay, I don’t see it being homophobic. Obviously it’s different if there’s someone gay around. I guess calling someone a big girls blouse is now sexist 🤔
but using that logic, its quite acceptable for you to use the term "nigger", but just not around black people? Its the exact same thing torto ya gun tootin varmit.

I used that term as an example, to keep it closer to your current home

but using that logic, its quite acceptable for you to use the term "nigger", but just not around black people? Its the exact same thing torto ya gun tootin varmit.

I used that term as an example, to keep it closer to your current home

I disagree. Everything is so black and white with no middle ground any more. Using the "N" word is just not acceptable, why would I call a friend that? Anyone using that word in any instance I'd call a racist. Hearing a mate using the word poof, I wouldn't declare him homophobic over it.

I disagree. Everything is so black and white with no middle ground any more. Using the "N" word is just not acceptable, why would I call a friend that? Anyone using that word in any instance I'd call a racist. Hearing a mate using the word poof, I wouldn't declare him homophobic over it.
but your saying its ok to use the word poof... as long as there are no gay people around... Im just following your flawed logic.

You need to home in a bit on the "its just not acceptable" part of your post bro

I didn't think the term poof was derogatory anymore, for poofs anyway. It wasn't, then it was and then it wasn't again etc. However that was when I was working and when I was a liaison type person with minority groups it could well have changed again. I recently saw a list of 'acceptable' terms, just for women, that ran to about 4 pages of A4!

In terms of the footballer. Never mind (sort of) that the remark was homophobic, it was abusive, as are the other terms mentioned by @Purple & Green. That's unsporting behaviour and could be a sending off.
Poof was derogatory then now and always.

I would.

Deary me. Knickers in a twist over what used to be a footstool! Are we really so outraged at a term that's in the dictionary to describe an effeminate man? Don't you think we should be hunting down the moron who attacked an emergency worker in Glasgow because he didn't like his green uniform. Nah forget him, let's publicly flay a football player for saying "poof" instead. Is describing a fellow player a bit of a girlie really up there with calling someone a dirty fenian bastard who's trying to administer first aid? Ffs what a pathetic state of affairs.
Yes

Maybe I should wear stripey pyjamas with a pink triangle on them so as you know whether it's cool or not to call me a poofy bastard?

Maybe I should wear stripey pyjamas with a pink triangle on them so as you know whether it's cool or not to call me a poofy bastard?

No pics please.
:coffee1:

Poof was derogatory then now and always.
There was a time it wasn't I can assure you.

It was reclaimed by the LGBT community in the late naughties in the States and came over here a year or two later. I asked my contact at the time who said it had become acceptable but not yet in common use within the community.

There was a time it wasn't I can assure you.

It was reclaimed by the LGBT community in the late naughties in the States and came over here a year or two later. I asked my contact at the time who said it had become acceptable but not yet in common use within the community.
Indeed. There was a vocal group called 4 Poofs and a Piano who used to appear on the Jonathan Ross chat show on the BBC in the early 2000s.

This thread has been viewed 2973 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back