People/things I thank for supporting Hibs

dibo

Well-Known Radge
Wonderful thread G.

I have a number of people to thank for being a Hibs fan. My Mum and Dad are both Leith born as were my four grandparents and generations before that. My Dad's dad, Stewart was born and brought up in Balfour Street, but was a season card holder at Tynecastle, the classic Leith Jambo, I even mind what the wee card thing looked like. However, his other team was, wait for it, Hibs! I come from what I like to think is a typical Edinburgh family, a mix of Catholic and Protestant, Hibs and Hearts, no old firm fans and even the non fitba fans 'preferred' one team or the other. My auld man was a Jambo as a kid but never took us to the football, my Mum is a Hibs fan, she gets up to high doe listening to the Hibs on the radio every weekend to this day!

Even though I lived out in Livingston by then, both my Granda and I were fitba daft and he would take me to Tynecastle one week, Easter Road the next. Hibernian in glorious emerald green, Hearts in skid mark maroon. I mind the climb up the auld high terrace steps, the view of Arthurs seat and the Forth the wafts of tobacco smoke and pies. All I mind of tynecastle is it being dark and smelling slightly of pish.

In the early 70's, Hibs were a joy to watch, Turnbull's Tornadoes, Hearts were pretty poor. I chose Hibs as my team and I would be sent on the 201 bus from Craigshill to St Andrew's Square, then walk down Picardy Place to my Granda's shop on the corner of London Road and Blenheim Place (he worked saturday mornings) and onwards to the football.

Once Hibs became my chosen team, it was my Hibs Uncles that took me along. My Uncle Hughie Manson from Pennywell was Hibs daft and would take me to home games, plonking me outside the Social Club* in the club car park behind the auld big terracing with juice and crisps before plonking me on the wall at the front of the terracing for each game. (* Can anyone mind the name of that Social Club, was it related to Lothian Buses?).

As I got a bit older, I would go with my pals from Livingston on the 201 bus, often joining my Mum's youngest brother Billy who had a flat in Albert Street, which we thought was cool! I have always argued Hibs have a large support out in Livingston and in towns such East and Mid Calder, Pumpherston, Winchburgh, Uphall and Broxburn and we would all jump on the Uphall and Broxburn Hibs Supporters Bus which picked up in all the aforementioned towns, travelling around Scotland following Hibs, and making friends I still have to this day. My best mate still goes home and away with me every week. We lived next door to each other in Crazyhill!

I also made many Hibs pals through the casual era, again many are friends for life. I worked abroad for five years and when I came home with my young family, and I picked up my life time affair with Hibernian. This era is the one where through initially being an admin on Hibs Net and subsequently a founding member of the Bounce, I have met thousands of Hibs fans, many of whom I consider good friends of mine now.

I thank each and every one of them, each and every one of you. The Hibernian Family, whilst suffering from the odd arsehole, and regularly disfunctional, is in the main a wonderful thing to be part of.

I mentioned my old man at the top of these ramblings. My Dad was an ill man for many years before we lost him last year, he could barely walk the length of himself most days. That glorious day in May, when the cup finally came home to Easter Road, my Mum and Dad settled down to watch the final on the telly. Sir David Gray, captain of Hibernian, scored that header in the 92nd minute of the game, my old man, brought up a Hearts fan, leaped out his chair like Lazarus, shouting "Ya Fucking Beauty" as the ball nestled in the net. He could have brought me up a Jambo, he never did. Thanks Dad.
Soooperb !

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
As a bairn my dad took me all over watching Bonnyrigg, along with my brother and my Grandad.

as I got into my teens I wanted to watch senior football, and my best mate Alasdair was a hibby. He lived in Bonnyrigg too, but as I recall his grandad was a hibby and stayed near Easter Road.

My dad took me to my first Hibs game in 1985, and after that I went with Alasdair.

We occasionally manage to get to a game together nowadays, and he was one of the first people I seen after 2016. I seen Big G that day too.

despite the efforts of my ex partner my oldest is Hibs daft, as is my youngest. My oldest made me go in 2016, I wasn’t fussed after the league cup defeat. He was there with me when we won - something that will live with me forever.

AG1337

Well-Known Radge
My Dad is the reason I support Hibs.

He was born and brought up as a child in a tenement on Easter Road but I don’t think he regularly attended matches. Me and my twin brother always got Hibs strips for Christmas and Hibs was the result we all looked for at final score on Grandstand. My dad took me and my bro to our first game when I was seven, it was Xmas Eve 1974/75 and he lifted us over the turnstile in the old main stand enclosure.
I feel quite jealous of those who witnessed the Famous five and Turnbull's tornadoes in their pomp.

I am 52 now and still get anxious about Hibs games. The iPad nearly went through the window when Dundee Utd equalised last week😊

My older brother was also a ST holder at ER but sadly both him and my dad are long passed.

The twin bro went to the dark side of the city as a teenager so has missed out on supporting a real football team for most of his life.

tayside hibee

Well-Known Radge
Truth is I was such a fan,that when he went to the Huns I became a hun too.I have said this before.I supported the Hibs all year,but when it came to Huns games I put on my hun bonnet and top.My dad would take me to the game and protect me from all the Hibees who wanted to strangle me.I must have lasted about two seasons then I went back to being a hibbie once my dad explained bloody sunday to me.
You are a complex guy moaty!!!

Fernando

Well-Known Radge
Many reasons for supporting Hibernian but growing up spent a lot to time with Jim n Alex Scott drank in there pub called the hurlet n played football for there team .Another family friend was Arthur Duncan gem of a guy helped me run fast 😂😂

sockyboy

Well-Known Radge
I wasn't always a Hibby. My football rebirth happened when my daughter was very ill in the sick kids. Hibs were unbelievably kind to her and the whole family in general. Match day tickets, stadium tours, strips, match day mascot, pretty much anything we wanted.
Since then I've felt I owed the club, big time and I still do.
I should have added to that comment, my daughter is now fine and obviously a dyed in the wool Hibby.

Power

Legendary Radge
What. A. Thread 💚

My Dad and wider family (Mum’s side) planted the seed in the late 80s and it blossomed fae there, working well alongside my school peers. As a bairn of the 80s and 90s it was just about being at Easter Road and nowt else needed - the magic of the stadium, the stairs and the lights at night games - It was very, very easy to get hooked in that day and age. I was lucky enough my dad would take me to away games too.

Growing aulder, and looking back with wee yin’s myself now, it makes me appreciate the financial commitment and effort my dad made to get 4 boys along to Easter Road. I should probably tell him that sometime.

There’s a long history in my family with Leith and St.Mary’s CYMS (helped run the club in late 19th century). Playing a small part of it now 4 generations on is a special, special privilege.

Posted this yin here before - fitting that it captures him named after the Prince of Wingers too.

47D65F4C-D734-491C-96D9-9B691210ED01.jpeg

Last edited:

moathibby

Legendary Radge
What. A. Thread 💚

My Dad and wider family (Mum’s side) planted the seed in the late 80s and it blossomed fae there, working well alongside my school peers. As a bairn of the 80s and 90s it was just about being at Easter Road and nowt else needed - the magic of the stadium, the stairs and the lights at night games - It was very, very easy to get hooked in that day and age. I was lucky enough my dad would take me to away games too.

Growing aulder, and looking back with wee yin’s myself now, it makes me appreciate the financial commitment and effort my dad made to get 4 boys along to Easter Road. I should probably tell him that sometime.

There’s a long history in my family with Leith and St.Mary’s CYMS (helped run the club in late 19th century). Playing a small part of it now 4 generations on is a special, special privilege.

Posted this yin here before - fitting that it captures him named after the Prince of Wingers too.

View attachment 4060
That's you thinking.'In my 30's I'm going to wear a tweed jaiket to games'.

Jamie

Admin
I thank all the donators of this great site, through these difficult times, the same names (you know who you are) are donating, a big big thanks to you, without you, threads like these would not exist.

Heading into 2021 that will be a year of ups and downs, it could be into spring/early summer before any normality is seen.

Keep on enjoying the site, we are always on the look out for extra revenue. If you are not logged in and see any google ads, please click on them 😅 its a small amount we get, but if hundreds of you did it then who knows.

Robert Barone

Well-Known Radge
My Granda Clarke and his son Danny both now sadly no longer with us but good Hibs men....gave me a lifelong affiliation to great football teams and slow horses!

My wee Ma...who loves the Hibs ...."they'll always bring you back down to earth son" was the best advice she ever gave me til that day in 2016 when even she was delerious. I hope to get her back to ER when this bastard virus is in retreat as she loved her last visit but with failing health and her age its a tricky operation to get her to a game now.

Various good mates thru the years from Primary til this day who formed a bond thru the 80s and 90s that was developed on many character forming away trips!

Great thread...enjoyed reading thru it.

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Well, or should I say 'so', just for some balance to all the "faither kerried me ower the turnstiles" stories (to whom all hail), I would like to show my deep, meaningful thanks to.... MEEEEEE!

I fúkkn chose Hibs. Dad a jambo/celtc melange, kinda Terrible Trio/Catholic mixup who - just to add insult to injury of fate - was also of the generations who followed both embra teams, whichever was at home that week. Folk sometimes ask why those generations did that; they didn't have the dosh to travel, never mind gettin a season ticket.

But he did take me to my first Hibs game at ER. A derby we lost 2-3, me aboot 5 year old, early 60s, and to complete the weirdness, we lived in Elgin Terrace till I was 9.

But I didn't start going regularly to some big games and also many reserve games at ER till we moved away to Burdiehoose.

All my pocket money and first earnings went towards walkup tickets and bus fares to the other side of toon for most of my teens.

Then my sis started dating a Hibby from Gorgie. Cool. He has taken care of me gettin tickets for games over the years coming back for visits fae Holland. And at last I had a friend to share Hibs with.

So - aye, a big thanx to ME and him.

And Dad of course. Despite liking Hertz and Celtc more than Hibs, and the TT more than the FF, at least we always shared - and talked - fitba'.

I miss that.

Last edited:

Norwayhibs

Norwegian Hibs Radge
Originally from a small village in north Wales the family moved up to Edinburgh in 78 when the old man got a job at the BP oil terminal in Dalmeny . As chance would have it Hibs were playing at home on our first weekend here. My old man took my two brothers and me to the game, St Mirren. All of us fell in love with Hibernian fc. The old man drove us all over Scotland to watch hibs , I started travelling with Erich Schaedler Hibs supporters bus which was brilliant. The old man fell ill in 2004 and his last game he saw before he passed away was the cis cup final v Livingston.
I dont get back to Edinburgh as often as I would like but when ever I get back I try and get to a game. So, dad , thanks for taking us along to Easter road

mentalhibbyjohn

Just A Radge
Some great posts.

Same as most I was taken along to watch the Hibees by my auld man. Travelling from Peebles on the service bus then the march down to ER seemed like punishment to an 8yr old. Took our seats in the west end of the old stand and I was hooked.

At 16 would travel to games with lads from Peebles, Walkerburn and Innerleithen. Then things got serious when I started travelling to away games. Bus to Embra, travel with Pentland Supporters Branch, up to Aberdeen or wherever, back home on service bus. If we had time, grab a pint in the Highwayman and a chat with Tommy Preston about the game. Lovely guy.

Those were the days when a few hundred Hibs fans would stand in the corner of the Ibrox main stand enclosure. It's a badge of honour I'm proud of. Same at Parkhead. Standing behind the goals surrounded by Celtic fans playing hit the Hibby with bottles and cans. We did have some great awaydays though. Good mates having a good laugh. Watching JD eating his second plate of mince and tatties or fish and chips. He's still going strong and deserves some kind of recognition for his support over 45yrs.

To be a supporter of any club is special but I thank God my Dad took me along to see the Hibees. I hope they appreciate us in return. I got £13 a week as an apprentice. £7 went on digs while my remaining £6 went on following the Hibees.

Every Sunday was the same, wake up check my jeans for money. If there was as much as a pound left I was happy. Most times I only had about 30p in dross. Enough for a packet of embassy regal!! Since 1976 I can't begin to imagine how much money I spend on watching Hibs.

Have to point out it could have been so different though. My dad served in the army in the 50's. He was stationed at Glencorse nr Penicuik and he and his fellow squaddies would watch Hibs one week, Hearts the next. He ended up supporting Hibs because they had the better team! Glory hunting bastard eh.