• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Old football grounds

MeanwoodHibee

Private Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a few people on here at one time or another will have made a pilgrimage to Cathkin Park near Hampden, now-derelict home of the defunct Third Lanark FC. It was here in 1887 that Hibs first lifted the Scottish Cup, the first club from outside of the west of Scotland to win it, long before Rangurs, Celtc, Hawrts, Aiberdeen etc etc. In fact, never mind pilgrimage, where now only trees bushes and weeds jostle for space on the crumbling terraces, a few on here e.g. @GORDONSMITH7 will have stood shoulder to shoulder with their fellow Hibernians on this ground cheering on the Green Jerseys before Third Lanark's demise in 1967. Anyway, what I didn't realise until recently was that this old ground wasn't the original Hampden; nor was it even the original Cathkin. It's all entertainingly explained in this fascinating YouTube video. If you are into the history of old football grounds you'll enjoy this.

Cheers just heading out but will watch later

Did a day trip about 7 or 8 years back to hampden museum and Cathkin park

I think Cathkin would make a cracking restored old school ground

I've seen Hibs play them both at Cathkin and Easter Road, Mark.

BIG G

I think Cathkin would make a cracking restored old school ground

A group of fans are doing it up step by step at the moment, have been for a while. I took my sons and nephew along to see it before one of the semis we played in.

I'll watch it later.It's getting too close to the game.

A group of fans are doing it up step by step at the moment, have been for a while. I took my sons and nephew along to see it before one of the semis we played in.
I wonder if the ground is on Queen’s Park radar since they’ve been kicked out of Hampden

I wonder if the ground is on Queen’s Park radar since they’ve been kicked out of Hampden

Think they are developing lesser hampden to use

That's right, this is discussed at the end of the video.

Visited Cathkin Park a few years ago with my nephew after doing the Hampden Museum and stadium tour. Astonishing to think this was a top flight club playing there as recently as the late 60's. It's a strange feeling standing there on the terraces overgrown with weeds, and you can see the shape where the pitch was. It would be great to see Third Lanark resurrected as a club again

I'm sure a few people on here at one time or another will have made a pilgrimage to Cathkin Park near Hampden, now-derelict home of the defunct Third Lanark FC. It was here in 1887 that Hibs first lifted the Scottish Cup, the first club from outside of the west of Scotland to win it, long before Rangurs, Celtc, Hawrts, Aiberdeen etc etc. In fact, never mind pilgrimage, where now only trees bushes and weeds jostle for space on the crumbling terraces, a few on here e.g. @GORDONSMITH7 will have stood shoulder to shoulder with their fellow Hibernians on this ground cheering on the Green Jerseys before Third Lanark's demise in 1967. Anyway, what I didn't realise until recently was that this old ground wasn't the original Hampden; nor was it even the original Cathkin. It's all entertainingly explained in this fascinating YouTube video. If you are into the history of old football grounds you'll enjoy this.
Splendid Sunday morning watch

BIG G

Visited Cathkin Park a few years ago with my nephew after doing the Hampden Museum and stadium tour. Astonishing to think this was a top flight club playing there as recently as the late 60's. It's a strange feeling standing there on the terraces overgrown with weeds, and you can see the shape where the pitch was. It would be great to see Third Lanark resurrected as a club again
There is a revived Third Lanark AFC currently competing in the Central Scottish AFL and playing home games at Toryglen. Fair play to the diehard supporters who still identify as Thirds fans despite losing their club 55 years ago. I would be the same if Hibs ever disappeared. Sadly a long long way from ever bringing back the glory days.

This thread has been viewed 1877 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back