• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

New Club Captain Confirmed

Paul was,is, and always will be a very good Robin

But Batman??? Have my doubts, especially when its taken 14 years to try the cape for size.

Wasn't he captain for Hughes after Chris Hogg? Far too young and early for him, rightly replaced at the time.

We owe him better considering he kickstarted our path to the final, we were moments away from being put out and he gave us a wild celebration. Could see what it meant to him.

He might not be a leader of men in the sense everyone expects of a captain, but he's obviously respected at the club. The players want to follow him and he has the managers trust.
Hes one of us!

No point in discussion about club legends with you. Paul’s stats show how good he is, but you won’t acknowledge them. And claiming the two are only at Hibs because they contribute to charity etc is just plain silly.

But I’ve got ‘ a love in’……..
Deary me.

The players wanted Hanlon as Club Captain, so presumably they haven’t a clue either.
Look up his stats and explain why such a crap player has performed so well against his peers.

They are still at Hibs cos they are not good enough to step up though.

They are still at Hibs cos they are not good enough to step up though.

Has everyone thats left Hibs in recent memory really stepped up though?
Could earn more money, but would they be cup winning legends?

Has everyone thats left Hibs in recent memory really stepped up though?
Could earn more money, but would they be cup winning legends?

Dunno about that. A lot have went on to make a good wedge. Brown, O'Connor, Fletcher, Riordan and possibly Killen.

O'Connor won a cup I believe in Russia, Brown has more medals than probably the whole of Hibs team. Not sure of others but I'd imagine Riordan, Killen may have won something at Celtic.

The cup win and His equaliser are his defining moments in a Hibs top but let's be honest if he was any good years ago like the players mentioned he would have been headhunted by bigger and better clubs than Hibs.

Dunno about that. A lot have went on to make a good wedge. Brown, O'Connor, Fletcher, Riordan and possibly Killen.

O'Connor won a cup I believe in Russia, Brown has more medals than probably the whole of Hibs team. Not sure of others but I'd imagine Riordan, Killen may have won something at Celtic.

The cup win and His equaliser are his defining moments in a Hibs top but let's be honest if he was any good years ago like the players mentioned he would have been headhunted by bigger and better clubs than Hibs.

Notice you picked all players from one Hibs team, that left half my life ago. All before Paul's time.
Since then? Almost everyone that leaves, goes sideways and disappears. Even Scott Brown didn't go to England because he knew he'd fade away in obscurity. Said so himself. Didn't want anyone to ever say "remember Scott Brown, what happened to him?"
Riordan going to celtic and possibly winning stuff, also killed his career.
Aye he made money, but that hasn't lasted long and his career stopped for years. Had to come back here to try and salvage something from it. He was far better than anything he ever got to achieve.

Bamba has had a good career, John McGinn will go on to a continue having a great career.
I'm sure there's a few others peppered around the place, but realistically, not many go on to bigger and better things.

I'm under no illusions of Paul being far better than he is, but not being a EPL quality player, does not mean you're not good enough for Hibs.

His staying power is testament to his character despite those who think he's not up to much.

Cup win and equaliser as his defining moments.
Not too shabby for any Hibs lad.

Notice you picked all players from one Hibs team, that left half my life ago. All before Paul's time.
Since then? Almost everyone that leaves, goes sideways and disappears. Even Scott Brown didn't go to England because he knew he'd fade away in obscurity. Said so himself. Didn't want anyone to ever say "remember Scott Brown, what happened to him?"
Riordan going to celtic and possibly winning stuff, also killed his career.
Aye he made money, but that hasn't lasted long and his career stopped for years. Had to come back here to try and salvage something from it. He was far better than anything he ever got to achieve.

Bamba has had a good career, John McGinn will go on to a continue having a great career.
I'm sure there's a few others peppered around the place, but realistically, not many go on to bigger and better things.

I'm under no illusions of Paul being far better than he is, but not being a EPL quality player, does not mean you're not good enough for Hibs.

His staying power is testament to his character despite those who think he's not up to much.

Cup win and equaliser as his defining moments.
Not too shabby for any Hibs lad.

What difference does it make when they left? They showed promise and got a better move Hanlon hasn't. You also mentioned McGinn but in future possibly Doig, Nisbet and Porteous will get the chance to further there career.

I never said he's not had a good career at Hibs I'm just saying he's very limited and for me personally he's not captain or international material.

What difference does it make when they left? They showed promise and got a better move Hanlon hasn't. You also mentioned McGinn but in future possibly Doig, Nisbet and Porteous will get the chance to further there career.

I never said he's not had a good career at Hibs I'm just saying he's very limited and for me personally he's not captain or international material.

It doesn't make a difference when, but my point was they were the outliers, not the standard and they were clearly a one off team.

Hanlon has had chances to leave Hibs.
Don't fall into the trap of because he hasn't means he's never been offered.

It doesn't make a difference when, but my point was they were the outliers, not the standard and they were clearly a one off team.

There's no chance he's had a significant offer as the players I previously mentioned.

Wouldn't of been my choice instinctively, but I don't train the players ,I'm naw in the dressing room in good and bad times. So I shall bow to the powers that be.
And wish Paul all the very best and my congratulations on his appointment.
SW junior has his season ticket , me I'm PATG hope to see some of you around this season.

There's no chance he's had a significant offer as the players I previously mentioned.

The other players that were obviously far better.
If any player at Hibs was as good as any of them the whole team would be gone.
By that standard, we'll sign nobody because they need to be too good.

Having players long term at our standard is a necessity, otherwise there's no stability in the squad.
There's nothing wrong with finding your level at Hibs and being one of the best in your position consistently in our league, and you can't convince me that he's not because the numbers back it up.

From the cup final season onwards he's peaked.

Boyle hasn't earned a move away either, and he's one of the best too. He's at his level.

Having players long term at our standard is a necessity, otherwise there's no stability in the squad.
There's nothing wrong with finding your level at Hibs and being one of the best in your position consistently in our league, and you can't convince me that he's not because the numbers back it up.

Boyle hasn't earned a move away either, and he's one of the best too. He's at his level.

Fair enough but as you put it "The other players were far better" that's the whole point I'm getting at.

He's stayed at Hibs by not being good enough to go to the next level.

Fair enough but as you put it "The other players were far better" that's the whole point I'm getting at.

They were better than everyone at the club now too. Does that mean they're all open to the same criticism?

Not being as good as a golden generation of players isn't really a fair criticism.

The fact only a handful of players, if that, have went on to anything bigger and better since that point is more a club issue than a Paul Hanlon issue.

By that logic you better stop supporting Hibs.
Anybody half decent is offski. If they stay they must be pish and the likes of you will tell them they are at Hibs because they are sub standard.
PH probably has had as good a career from his generation bar maybe 10/15 players? It ain't bad .
What have you achieved?

I always find it interesting that we develop perceptions of a players’ leadership qualities despite never sharing a pitch or a dressing room with them.

Interviews are telling to a point, but it’s a different environment from a game.

I always find it interesting that we develop perceptions of a players’ leadership qualities despite never sharing a pitch or a dressing room with them.

Interviews are telling to a point, but it’s a different environment from a game.
You also get some surprising success stories.

For example I never thought Scott Brown would ever be captain material, and he turned out to be one of the best captains Celtic have ever had.

Pat Stanton is another one. Alex Cropley actually didn't rate Paddy as a motivating captain, but he did say he had huge respect from the players and led by example.

You would have thought Darren McGregor would be an ideal Hibs captain but (and I might be wrong here) I can't remember Stubbs, Lennon, Hecky or Jack Ross ever giving him the captains armband for any length of time.

You also get some surprising success stories.

For example I never thought Scott Brown would ever be captain material, and he turned out to be one of the best captains Celtic have ever had.

Pat Stanton is another one. Alex Cropley actually didn't rate Paddy as a motivating captain, but he did say he had huge respect from the players and led by example.

You would have thought Darren McGregor would be an ideal Hibs captain but (and I might be wrong here) I can't remember Stubbs, Lennon, Hecky or Jack Ross ever giving him the captains armband for any length of time.

Some very good points there, particularly on Brown and McGregor. Would never have had Scott Brown down as being a captain, but as you say he’s been an excellent captain for Celtic.

To us as fans Darren McGregor seems the obvious choice as captain, but he’s only ever had the armband when Gray or Hanlon have been unavailable.

I do think the role of captain can be overstated at times, players in general should take responsibility and lead by example. The days of looking around for someone else to motivate should be gone. Captains don’t need to scream and shout constantly.

Some very good points there, particularly on Brown and McGregor. Would never have had Scott Brown down as being a captain, but as you say he’s been an excellent captain for Celtic.

To us as fans Darren McGregor seems the obvious choice as captain, but he’s only ever had the armband when Gray or Hanlon have been unavailable.

I do think the role of captain can be overstated at times, players in general should take responsibility and lead by example. The days of looking around for someone else to motivate should be gone. Captains don’t need to scream and shout constantly.

I was always taught the captains job on the park is supposed to be the one that communicates with the referee.
The rest at a professional club is conduit between manager and players.

You dont need a player to fire you up on the park, that's the manager's job and your own damn self!!

Reactions: Zab
I was always taught the captains job on the park is supposed to be the one that communicates with the referee.
The rest at a professional club is conduit between manager and players.

You dont need a player to fire you up on the park, that's the manager's job and your own damn self!!
Correct.
I think there is an expectation from some that captaincy involves lots of shouting or grabbing throats. There’s a wee bit more to leadership than tantrums.

If Paul doesn’t win the toss tonight I am done with him.
Bloody bottler 😉

I have always thought of the captain as being the managers rep on the park, and also just the team leader. The man who takes responsibility for things on the field of play, and ensures the team carries out the managers instructions.

They were better than everyone at the club now too. Does that mean they're all open to the same criticism?

Not being as good as a golden generation of players isn't really a fair criticism.

The fact only a handful of players, if that, have went on to anything bigger and better since that point is more a club issue than a Paul Hanlon issue.

If Porteous and Doig stay for another 10 years yes. Then they haven't reached there potential.

The club do have a bit to do with it I give you that. The disarray we've been in on a few times Hanlon maybe has a set back.

By that logic you better stop supporting Hibs.
Anybody half decent is offski. If they stay they must be pish and the likes of you will tell them they are at Hibs because they are sub standard.
PH probably has had as good a career from his generation bar maybe 10/15 players? It ain't bad .
What have you achieved?

Dinny be stupid.

And your right anybody who's decent would go to bigger better things. It's the fact of football.

He's right though , PH is never a captain

Agreed both are nowhere near captains.

Questions 1&2 are speculation on your part. Question 3, if being an international pick is so important to you why are you slating him now that he is one?
I think you will fins that Paul Hanlon is not an international. He was picked for one game and not seen since..

If he had chances to leave then why wasn't there news about it then ?? Stories would've been made public.

Boyle however is a full international and picked consistently for Australia..

If he had chances to leave then why wasn't there news about it then ?? Stories would've been made public.

Not every transfer offer is public knowledge.
Good effort though 👍

Not every transfer offer is public knowledge.
Good effort though 👍
There has been no news because there quite simply hasn't been that's why.. Utter drivvle..

There has been no news because there quite simply hasn't been that's why.. Utter drivvle..
Do shut up, old chap.

I think you will fins that Paul Hanlon is not an international. He was picked for one game and not seen since..

100%

Same as Stevenson. Won't be picked again. Like Sickboy says "That means fuck all it's a sympathy vote"

Do shut up, old chap.
Linked being the important word there.. Anything concrete to come out of that story ?? I think not..

100%

Same as Stevenson. Won't be picked again. Like Sickboy says "That means fuck all it's a sympathy vote"
Exactly.. When Stevenson got picked Scotland were down to around to our 4th/5th choice left back..

Hanlon's call up was the biggest token gesture you'll ever see.......

Make up your mind. You said Paul has never had chances to leave. He quite clearly has.

Hes said ao himself that he had offers, they just weren't enough to leave Hibs.

Just cause it doesn't suit your agenda doesn't make it any less true.

Exactly.. When Stevenson got picked Scotland were down to around to our 4th/5th choice left back..

Hanlon's call up was the biggest token gesture you'll ever see.....
Not big fans of Stevenson and Hanlon as players but I respect what they've done and that they try their best when called upon. Overall though if you were to look at the seasons they've spent at Hibs, how many have been successful ones? I can't be arsed looking that up right now, maybe 3 or 4? I do think longerterm we need a more aggressive/less rigid centre back. A more balanced fullback in the mold of Sir David/Murphtmy who defends but also gets forward to get balls into the box.

Quite an interesting thread, with so many critics of our players and the managers who kept playing them. I wonder where the knowledge lies.
I’m old enough to remember when ‘one club players’ were lauded by the fans for their loyalty to the jersey.
Now it seems that they are apparently “pish” and hang about like a bad smell because nobody else is desperate enough to sign the donkeys.
Live and learn eh.
:coffee1:

Make up your mind. You said Paul has never had chances to leave. He quite clearly has.
What chances were that ?? Look at the story , he is firstly linked with Aberdeen and in the next paragraph he's having talks..

No news of a transfer fee being agreed in anyway or form.. A story with conflicting information and nothing concrete to back anything up....

Quite an interesting thread, with so many critics of our players and the managers who kept playing them. I wonder where the knowledge lies.
I’m old enough to remember when ‘one club players’ were lauded by the fans for their loyalty to the jersey.
Now it seems that they are apparently “pish” and hang about like a bad smell because nobody else is desperate enough to sign the donkeys.
Live and learn eh.
:coffee1:
The knowledge is right infront of you eyes , it's just you can't see it..

Hibs are an average sized club and good players do not to hang around for very long.. There's lots of good players to come through the ranks or been signed by the club who have went on to bigger and better things..

Hanlon and Stevenson either have no ambition to move forward or they are just not good enough to be picked up by better teams.

Wonder why Neil Lennon handed him a four year deal.
Obviously not as good a judge of a player as some on here.

Boyle however is a full international and picked consistently for Australia..

And that accounts for what at club level exactly?

I like Boyle and this is in no way bashing him, but he's at his level here. He might move, but it won't make him better than what he is now.

Anyway, back to Paul.

I like Boyle and this is in no way bashing him, but he's at his level here. He might move, but it won't make him better than what he is now.

Anyway, back to Paul.

It accounts to steady improvement over his time here to be at least even considered let alone being selected on a regular basis wouldn't you say ?????

It accounts to steady improvement over his time here to be at least even considered let alone being selected on a regular basis wouldn't you say ?????

Nope, because he's Scottish and has never been considered for Scotland.
So he took up the option of Australia.

Anyway, back to Paul.

Yet again , nothing concrete in the article.. . A player saying himself he might have to go but no sign of the player commentating on any offers or any talks with other clubs in the story..

This thread has been viewed 3815 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back