• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

New Club Captain Confirmed

Zab

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Paul Hanlon has been formally appointed Club Captain, with Paul McGinn named Vice Captain.

I'll go with the managers choice....and Paul H. clearly has the respect of his team mates.

Great for the individuals picked but I have doubts on Hanlon as a captain (also as an automatic starter).

Bad game and Hanlon won't be Shanlon anymore just Captain Calamity :cover:

I'll go with the managers choice....and Paul H. clearly has the respect of his team mates.
My thoughts exactly. I think I maybe even started a thread about leadership and Paul Hanlon wouldn't have been my answer. But reflecting on a few comments recently (eg quoting stats about just how successful last season was compared to all recent history, and the comments about how often we end up in a managerial merry go round and never see a manager's long term strategy come to fruition) I'm just going to back the gaffer's approach to everything. It'll be good for my blood pressure plus it'll probably mean that Drey Wright turns out to be a superstar.

Maybe there just isn't a compelling candidate to change to from Paul Hanlon.

I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time.

Needs to cut out these lapses, 2 in friendlies isn't good enough.

Only one making a noise in the cup final, only candidate we really have.

Not disputing PH loves the club and he's tried his best over time but not a choice I'd have gone for. VC I agree with. Time will tell.

I said before on the next captain thread that I expected it to be PH. I don’t think there was any other option. A bit surprised with McGinn as VC although he is a model professional, Mr Consistent. I personally don’t think McGinn is good enough to be a starter never mind our VC. I think this squad lacks leadership and identity. Something we had an abundance of under Stubbs & Lennon

Reactions: Zab
I said before on the next captain thread that I expected it to be PH. I don’t think there was any other option. A bit surprised with McGinn as VC although he is a model professional, Mr Consistent. I personally don’t think McGinn is good enough to be a starter never mind our VC. I think this squad lacks leadership and identity. Something we had an abundance of under Stubbs & Lennon

Strange considering we keep signing former club captains.

Irvine, Gogic, Magennis, both McGinns.

Strange considering we keep signing former club captains.

Irvine, Gogic, Magennis, both McGinns.
Can you honestly say our team is full of leaders? I look at McGregor and see a leader. I look at Bartley and I see a leader. Previous players that weren’t captains I seen leadership in too, the likes of Super, big Holt, Fyvie etc

Can you honestly say our team is full of leaders? I look at McGregor and see a leader. I look at Bartley and I see a leader. Previous players that weren’t captains I seen leadership in too, the likes of Super, big Holt, Fyvie etc

That isn't what I meant.
I'm jist pointing out those players were captains at their previous clubs.

We're signing folk who are supposed to be, but aren't.

One of my main concerns for next season is the absence of any real leaders in the team. I think it cost us in some of the big matches last season. Who knows, we may bring in one or two yet, but as it stands at the moment I don't really see any.

Paul Hanlon has been given the backing by the manager to carry on as captain and that's fine by me.

Last edited:
Would have given it to Gogic from the players available

Pretty sure RJ had some sort of research first.
Paul Hanlon is clearly the players choice.
Fact.

Would have given it to Gogic from the players available
He's not going to start every game.

One of my main concerns for next season is the absence of any real leaders in the team. I think it cost us in some of the big matches last season. Who knows, we may bring in one or two yet, but as it stands at the moment I don't really see any.

Paul Hanlon has been given the backing by the manager to carry on as captain and that's fine by me.
Here lies the problems..

We all complained that we had no leaders last season yet we hand the armband to the guy who was captain in the absence of David Gray....

Nothing is being done to fix the problem then is it ???

Here lies the problems..

We all complained that we had no leaders last season yet we hand the armband to the guy who was captain in the absence of David Gray....

Nothing is being done to fix the problem then is it ???
Imagine you turning up to criticise Paul Hanlon again.
Do you never tire of it?

Do you never tire of it?
I think of Eduardo Hurtado when I see his posts, probably never had a shot on target either.

Do you never tire of it?
He's right though , PH is never a captain

Do you never tire of it?
I think you'll find I am asking a general question

Virtually everything you post is a dog at Paul Hanlon, and occasionally Wee Lewis.
You need to get over that fixation.

Virtually everything you post is a dog at Paul Hanlon, and occasionally Wee Lewis.
That is because they are both liabilities..

So are you going to answer my question or are you too involved in your personal love in to answer ??

Any captain of Hibs who describes a scottish cup semi final which is also a derby as ' just another game '' should never play for the club again...

That is because they are both liabilities..

So are you going to answer my question or are you too involved in your personal love in to answer ??
No point in discussion about club legends with you. Paul’s stats show how good he is, but you won’t acknowledge them. And claiming the two are only at Hibs because they contribute to charity etc is just plain silly.

But I’ve got ‘ a love in’……..
Deary me.

The players wanted Hanlon as Club Captain, so presumably they haven’t a clue either.
Look up his stats and explain why such a crap player has performed so well against his peers.

He does Labrador the point. 🤔

He does Labrador the point. 🤔
Woopsie!

I'm happy a guy with Hanlons record and class is Hibs captain. He could however, be encouraged to be a bit more vocal. Maybe the shanlon and other negative comments don't help his confidence.

I'm happy a guy with Hanlons record and class is Hibs captain. He could however, be encouraged to be a bit more vocal. Maybe the shanlon and other negative comments don't help his confidence.

I've been reliably informed that he was the only player making noise during the cup final.
Including trying to put a rocket up Boyles arse for not being involved.

Last edited:
No point in discussion about club legends with you. Paul’s stats show how good he is, but you won’t acknowledge them. And claiming the two are only at Hibs because they contribute to charity etc is just plain silly.

But I’ve got ‘ a love in’……..
Deary me.

The players wanted Hanlon as Club Captain, so presumably they haven’t a clue either.
Look up his stats and explain why such a crap player has performed so well against his peers.
You are one of these people who hide behind the stats do you ??

That says it all I am afraid...

If his stats are that good then why is there no interest from bigger and better clubs to sign him then ??
Why in 14 years at the club has no club tabled anything concrete to tempt him away from Hibs ??
Why was he overlooked constantly at international level until Clarke picked him last season ??

can you answer these questions or will you dodge them like you usually do when it comes to flak directed his way ???

If his stats are that good then why is there no interest from bigger and better clubs to sign him then ??
Why in 14 years at the club has no club tabled anything concrete to tempt him away from Hibs ??
Why was he overlooked constantly at international level until Clarke picked him last season ??

can you answer these questions or will you dodge them like you usually do when it comes to flak directed his way ???
Why do you only appear when you want to greet? 🤷‍♂️

Questions 1&2 are speculation on your part. Question 3, if being an international pick is so important to you why are you slating him now that he is one?

How do you hide behind stats? They're the facts.

And he has had offers to leave the club. No multi million Liverpool offers, but offers have come, he's been offered contracts and chose to stay at Hibs.

One club man
Cup winner
Club captain
Club legend 💚

If his stats are that good……

Are you saying they aren’t? Have you looked?
Why have all the Hibs managers given him contracts, and appointed him captain? Because of course they are all idiots and you’re not.
Hide behind statistics? Are you for real?
I tend to hide behind facts too.

Let's for arguments sake agree that the stats on Paul Hanlon are meaningless shite and that no other club has tried to sign him and he's only played once for the Scotland national team.

If Paul Hanlon is such a liability, why has every manager since Patelaainen through Ross continued to pick him rather than release him?

Let's for arguments sake agree that the stats on Paul Hanlon are meaningless shite and that no other club has tried to sign him and he's only played once for the Scotland national team.

If Paul Hanlon is such a liability, why has every manager since Patelaainen through Ross continued to pick him rather than release him?
That’s easy.
It’s because he donates to charity.
Pistol already explained that.

I think PH would make mistakes captain or not, what football player doesn’t?
I am cool with Paul being captain, I think he carries the responsibility well.

I don’t dispute the apparent “leadership” issue but this is an issue for the squad. Others need to step up, you need 11 captains.

We certainly need a wee bit more fire in our bellies at times but players can develop this through good and bad experiences.

Who knows, our next signings may have those leadership qualities that will improve us?

Last edited:
Any captain of Hibs who describes a scottish cup semi final which is also a derby as ' just another game '' should never play for the club again...
A bit extreme. That said when I watched him say it live the night before that game.....🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

A bit extreme. That said when I watched him say it live the night before that game.....🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
I think Paul meant that the Hibs players were all totally professional and wanted to win every game. He possibly was even having a wee dig at the Gunts by implying they were nothing special.
Definitely misfired though, many were a bit miffed at him not showing additional enthusiasm prior to a big game against our rivals.
One or two are still apoplectic apparently.
:lookaround:

Paul was,is, and always will be a very good Robin

But Batman??? Have my doubts, especially when its taken 14 years to try the cape for size.

Sir David backing the appointment now too.
Good enough for me.

This thread has been viewed 3836 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50