• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

My concerns from today's game

Greenmachine

Private Member
Reaction score
There were a number of things about Hibs totally anemic performance today which worried me. In no particular order of importance:

1/ We have, for some reason, decided to go back 3 years and play the long ball game to a sole target man (Killen), who is marked by two central defenders. We are also playing two players wide (Riordan and Sproule) who are supposed to attack the full-backs and get decent crosses in. I think Riordan did this twice in the whole game, and Sproule not once. Basically the system Tony Mowbray played today, was exactly the same one that Bobby Williamson played in the CIS Cup Final in 2004, and most of the games during his tenure. It didn't work back then, and it won't work now. It played right into the oppositions hands today. The big danger of having a target-man who can hold the ball up, is that everyone in the team thinks it's OK just to hump long balls up to him. Play this way next week, and Hearts will have the game won by half-time.

2/ The defensive side of our team is no better than it was when Mowbray first took over. Whittaker is not, and never has been a full-back, and just about all of the goals conceded come from his side. Quite why Malkowski has been brought back into the team completely mystifies me. The guy is a disaster waiting to happen. Brown isn't much better, but at least he can communicate with his defence.

3/ It's obvious we have a number of players who are playing through injuries, and are clearly not up to playing for 90 minutes. Michael Stewart should not have started today. He was blowing oot his erse after about 20 minutes. Thomson, Killen, and Sproule did not look match fit either. Our small squad has been shown up over the last few months, and when you look at the bench today, we look very threadbare. Dalglish and Fletcher did not pose any threat when they came on.

4/ The players had one eye on next weeks game, no doubt about it. The problem is if we lose the semi, the season is virtually over IMO. We will be playing for top 6 status and that's about it. Kilmarnock and Rangers have been far more consistant than us since November. It is worrying to say the least.

5/ Hibs are far too lightweight in general. Inverness were superb today, and showed exactly how to play away from home. They were everything Hibs were not. Physical, hard-working, and hungry for victory. We need bigger, more aggressive players into the squad for next season, or the sort of flimsy, powder-puff performances like we had today will continue indefinately. We were bullied all over the park today. You will never win anything if you allow this to happen.

Tony Mowbray will need to produce something out of the bag tactically for next week. Nothing less than 100% from every player in green and white will do. I would not risk anyone who was not totally fit to play. Unfit players will be shown up at Hampden, and will cost us the game IMO. We can win this game, but a massive improvement defensively and creatively will be required. Otherwise a wonderful chance for cup success will disappear doon the Swanny.

Last edited:
you skipped from 2 to 4 lol just thought i'd point that out :):)

Cal_Hibby_4_Life said:
you skipped from 2 to 4 lol just thought i'd point that out :):)

Cheers !!, never could count right !

:rollfloor, no problem :thumbgrin

hibs have went back the way in the last few matches and I am extremely worried for next week, there ive said it.

Greenmachine said:
There were a number of things about Hibs totally anemic performance today which worried me. In no particular order of importance:

1/ We have, for some reason, decided to go back 3 years and play the long ball game to a sole target man (Killen), who is marked by two central defenders. We are also playing two players wide (Riordan and Sproule) who are supposed to attack the full-backs and get decent crosses in. I think Riordan did this twice in the whole game, and Sproule not once. Basically the system Tony Mowbray played today, was exactly the same one that Bobby Williamson played in the CIS Cup Final in 2002, and most of the games during his tenure. It didn't work back then, and it won't work now. It played right into the oppositions hands today. The big danger of having a target-man who can hold the ball up, is that everyone in the team thinks it's OK just to hump long balls up to him. Play this way next week, and Hearts will have the game won by half-time.

2/ The defensive side of our team is no better than it was when Mowbray first took over. Whittaker is not, and never has been a full-back, and just about all of the goals conceded come from his side. Quite why Malkowski has been brought back into the team completely mystifies me. The guy is a disaster waiting to happen. Brown isn't much better, but at least he can communicate with his defence.

3/ It's obvious we have a number of players who are playing through injuries, and are clearly not up to playing for 90 minutes. Michael Stewart should not have started today. He was blowing oot his erse after about 20 minutes. Thomson, Killen, and Sproule did not look match fit either. Our small squad has been shown up over the last few months, and when you look at the bench today, we look very threadbare. Dalglish and Fletcher did not pose any threat when they came on.

4/ The players had one eye on next weeks game, no doubt about it. The problem is if we lose the semi, the season is virtually over IMO. We will be playing for top 6 status and that's about it. Kilmarnock and Rangers have been far more consistant than us since November. It is worrying to say the least.

5/ Hibs are far too lightweight in general. Inverness were superb today, and showed exactly how to play away from home. They were everything Hibs were not. Physical, hard-working, and hungry for victory. We need bigger, more aggressive players into the squad for next season, or the sort of flimsy, powder-puff performances like we had today will continue indefinately. We were bullied all over the park today. You will never win anything if you allow this to happen.

Tony Mowbray will need to produce something out of the bag tactically for next week. Nothing less than 100% from every player in green and white will do. I would not risk anyone who was not totally fit to play. Unfit players will be shown up at Hampden, and will cost us the game IMO. We can win this game, but a massive improvement defensively and creatively will be required. Otherwise a wonderful chance for cup success will disappear doon the Swanny.

Good points as always :thumbgrin

Point 2. I just canny understand why Mogga, as an ex centre half has really done nothing about our very fragile defence. :dunno:

Point 3. I agree 100%

Point 4. I agree 100%

Point 5. I agree to a certain degree :wink: . I also thought today that the referee played right into the hands of Inverness.

Kicking the ball away, wasting wee bits of time here and there, and getting away with 2/3 blatant hand balls. suits there style. But they are also very workman like and battle for each other. Dodds is brutal but he's a leader, and their defence get a wee boost from his leadership. Oh how Hibs could do with someone with his attitude. Although he'll never be a player. :rollfloor :rollfloor

Greenmachine said:

1/ We have, for some reason, decided to go back 3 years and play the long ball game to a sole target man (Killen), who is marked by two central defenders. We are also playing two players wide (Riordan and Sproule) who are supposed to attack the full-backs and get decent crosses in. I think Riordan did this twice in the whole game, and Sproule not once. Basically the system Tony Mowbray played today, was exactly the same one that Bobby Williamson played in the CIS Cup Final in 2004, and most of the games during his tenure. It didn't work back then, and it won't work now. It played right into the oppositions hands today. The big danger of having a target-man who can hold the ball up, is that everyone in the team thinks it's OK just to hump long balls up to him. Play this way next week, and Hearts will have the game won by half-time.

Hibs used to play like that under mogadon Miller - its the Hibs way. Too easily bullied out of games. I fear the worst for next weekend.

It's the same concerns I've had since Mogga came virtually...our defence is pish..lets be honest. The problem has never been properly addressed. Only Murphy for me shows any sort of consistancy of performance...our goalkeepers are accidents waiting to happen and don't communicate, Whitty..sick of writing and readin how good a player he is (tbf I think he is technically skillful) but he is never a right back and is suffering a sever dip in form/confidence..loses possesion and gets caught upfield far too often. Caldwell blows hot and cold..personally I'd prefer him at right back for the semi. then there is the constantly revolving position in the centre next to Caldwell..always thought Hogg looked okay..nothing spectacular and has made a few gaffs but I'd prefer him to Smith..too slow and we look somehow lightweight when he plays.

So to sum up as long as we score at least 3..maybe 4 we should be okay in the semi allowing for us shooting ourselves in the foot from set peices at least twice.:roll:

Gav

I think mogga was trying to practice his formation for next week. I have a strong feeling his going to go 4-5-1. Very bad move imo. Then again thtat could be scrapped altogether if Killen is struggling for next week. Next week players need to back to simple things. To much fcuking about today especially from sproule who i hope mogga has warned if he is so stupid again will be dropped. Thought he was bloody Ronaldinho.

Whittaker is a massive concern. The thought of putting Caldwell to right back (who today was absoloutly crap, not many apprecitation threads recently:hmmm ) and bringing hogg into the centre because Skatchel will rip Whittaker to peices.

We will get humpded next week if we play like that. We played right into ICT hands with the high balls, Pressley and Webster will sweep them up all day next week. Even when Killen did win the flick ons he was chasing them himself, where was Riordan and Sproule ? It seems Sproule thinks he can run through players now, instead of taking it round them and getting to the bye line, how many times did he just run into the defenders yesterday ? I hope to fcuk this Benji guy lives up to all this hype and Scotty Brown is back for next week.

If we get beat next week our season is over, we have Killie at home and the sheep away, based on yesterdays perfromence, I'm no too confident about those games either :(

Inverness are a horrible team to watch. when they scored first you knew they were going to win but credit to them for their win. hibs have not yet worked out how to deal with big, Physical teams and the worrying thing is, Hearts have players bigger than that lot.

I agree with everything Greenmachine says except I thought Inverness were a poor team who defend in numbers and know how to play and beat us.

All spot on points.

IMO the problem is that the squad is too lightweight. All who started yesterday, who will be available, will likely start next Sunday, despite playing pish yesterday.

On yesterday's performance Sproule for example shouldn't play..:hmmm

Smurf said:
All spot on points.

IMO the problem is that the squad is too lightweight. All who started yesterday, who will be available, will likely start next Sunday, despite playing pish yesterday.

On yesterday's performance Sproule for example shouldn't play..:hmmm

We are due a big performence from Sproule, let's hope it's next week. The big pitch should suit him, just like darkheid and ipox do.

Greenmachine said:

Good post mate all valid points.Don't know why wev'e went back to long ball game,only hope everyone plays their part next week 100% players/fans & Tony gets his game plan bang on.Need a strong referee & hopefully the rub off the green going our way.:applause: :applause: :applause:

Brown will need a miracle to make Sundays game and i doubt that he will. Big Loss.

Killen fecked his knee yesterday also.

We need something special and hopefully Benji will be given his chance to shine and that he is as good as he is being made out to be.

Greenmachine, all good points made well, top post as usual.:thumbgrin

I have all these concerns plus more, and it does not leave me feeling too good about next week's game. We do need a lift, be it in the form of a new player (Benji), new tactics or even just a good verbal kicking from Mogga.

I still have faith in our manager and our team but this is now the test, the biggest test yet and each and every member of the Hibernian family needs to stand up and be counted.

You can do this Hibs but it's to time to get mean, angry and most of all, clinical.

KiG

Someone said how can Mogga not sort out the central defence given that he was a hard as nails centre half himself?

How about this for a theory - he was a rugged centre half who wishes he could have been a play maker himself and now ties to achieve those qualities through selection in his own team. This is not a criticism of Mogga but an attemt to understand how he has never addressed the ongoing problem in defence - ie CH and RB cannot tackle but are good going forward.

Next Sunday all that goes on the back burner - C'moan the Hibees and
Stuff the Yams :boxing:

It seems to have all went shakey since boxing day a think. We were so consistent untill then and we just started being pretty bad from then onwards really.

This thread has been viewed 1423 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back