• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Murphy/Wright/Magennis

Smurf

Private Member
Reaction score
All three major investments in the club I'd imagine. For a number of reasons neither of them have set the heather alight.

Murphy has shown the most. But he never appears to grab a game by the scruff of its neck? It's frustrating as when he's up for it he has obvious talent. He just never convinces. A bit like his semi-final opportunities v St Johnstone. I'd say with him there's cause for optimism but now match fit we really need him to produce between now and the end of the season.

Wright has shown the least. Even though he's had more game time than the injured Magennis. The ex St Johnstone manager who had him their Tommy Wright rates him very highly. Tommy Wright's no mug. So why isn't he doing it at Hibs? He looks like a fish out of water in a Hibs shirt. He surely can't be that bad? I'd not be surprised to see him at Kilmarnock reunited with Tommy Wright next season.

Magennis cost the club in the current pandemic a lot of money. It was a huge investment on the clubs part for a player just returning from injury. I thought it was a strange signing in the current financial environment... And thus far it hasn't paid off. Lots of niggling injuries are to be expected coming back from a serious injury but we need players that can contribute. And Magennis looks average when playing. Let's hope he finds fitness and form soon..

Overall there's room for optimism. But all three need to contribute much more IMHO.

Thoughts?

Murphy - signs are there but need him fit and a level of consistency above what he has shown to date.

Wright - he’s not got it. No sense persevering. It didn’t work out so push him out the door.

Magennis - he has next season to show there is something other than potential. Whether he features for the rest of this season or not he needs to be flying pre season with everyone else.

Give the two Ms more time I say - see how they are next season.

However Wright seems to not fit at all, a bit like Liam Craig - great at St Johnstone both sides of his time at Hibs where he never done anything.

Wright...some players just take time to settle in a new environment, but he's not showed enough so far.

Murphy...looks the part, from time to time, but a player who is out injured, cant play against Rangers, and isn't consistent is a hard sell. I'm not convinced he really fits into our system of play that well.

Magennis...be as well starting again with him next season, and writing this season off. That screams luxury to me already.

Wright should be punted immediately. No where near good enough

Murphy was a player in his day. Championship player now.

Magennis. Terrible injury. Give him a year.

murphy, I would love to see claim a place, he is a braw fitba player, who does seem lacking in desire. If JR can resolve that part of his game, I think we have class player.

magennis deserves a chance to prove himself , but ive not seen much for optimism

wright, I would gladly see him move on. I can only recall one moment at Ibrox when he has actually ran at a defender. He dosent even seem to hold a position, he is just "there", doing and effecting very little.

Murphy - like all wingers, is a frustrating player at times. Clearly has the ability, but seems to be up and down when it comes to using it. He’ll be here till the end of next season.

Wright - hasn’t looked the part. I’d say Cadden was signed to replace him, so expect Wright to be gone in the summer.

Magennis - I’ve said before I didn’t understand the rush to sign him, would have been better waiting till January and agreeing a pre-contract. Clearly he’s rated by many at Hibs, or we wouldn’t be paying a fee and handing out a 5 year deal, but this season was always going to be a write off for him due to the injury lay-off he’d had.

Murphy; A very good player who like so many of our signings struggled with bad injuries prior to joining us. Sometimes clubs like Hibs have to take risks with such players if we want quality in the squad. Murphy has played at a good level and I am sure he will come good for Hibs. This season won't be that time however, next season will. He will be a Hibs player next season, not a huns player being loaned out to us.

Magennis; As I have said before I struggle to re-call any young player Hibs have signed being given a 5 year contract. That shows to me they have tremendous confidence in him becoming a top player for us. At the moment however it is just potential, we haven't seen the real deal yet and similar to Murphy I doubt we will this season. Another one who had a serious injury at his previous club, but nevertheless they have very high hopes for. Give him time I would say.

Wright; They must have seen something in him at St Johnstone, but we are yet to see anything positive really so far at Hibs. When two managers as respected as Tommy Wight and Jack Ross rate him enough to sign him then you must think there must be something there which will develop over time. Another one who had bad injuries at his previous club. I wonder if we will see him next season at Hibs ? I am less optimistic about him from what I have seen so far than the other two. Hope I am wrong though.

We are sitting third in the league, so our signings could all be said to have worked. However I am just playing devils advocate. We need the above three to provide much more than they have so far this season if we are going to finish third.

Last edited:
Murphy is a good player, but his form is a bit up and down. He may just be taking time to settle.

McGennis is about potential. I'm happy with him being integrated slowly.

Wright is a mystery. I have a couple of St Johnstone supporting pals and they were both gutted to see him go. "The sort of player that gets you off your seat", "Makes things happen" etc... I have to say I'm yet to see it. He'll be on loan next season.

Last edited:
Murphy; A very good player who like so many of our signings struggled with bad injuries prior to joining us. Sometimes clubs like Hibs have to take risks with such players if we want quality in the squad. Murphy has played at a good level and I am sure he will come good for Hibs. This season won't be that time however, next season will. He will be a Hibs player next season, not a huns player being loaned out to us.

Magennis; As I have said before I struggle to re-call any young player Hibs have signed being given a 5 year contract. That shows to me they have tremendous confidence in him becoming a top player for us. At the moment however it is just potential, we haven't seen the real deal yet and similar to Murphy I doubt we will this season. Another one who had a serious injury at his previous club, but nevertheless they have very high hopes for. Give him time I would say.

Wright; They must have seen something in him at St Johnstone, but we are yet to see anything positive really so far at Hibs. When two managers as respected as Tommy Wight and Jack Ross rate him enough to sign him then you must think there must be something there which will develop over time. Another one who had bad injuries at his previous club. I wonder if we will see him next season at Hibs ? I am less optimistic about him from what I have seen so far than the other two. Hope I am wrong though.

We are sitting third in the league, so our signings could all be said to have worked. However I am just playing devils advocate. We need the above three to provide much more than they have so far this season if we are going to get third.

I recall Billy Findlay getting a 5 year deal, although he didn't really hit the heights.

Agree with all the above points, and hopefully Drey either 'clicks' quickly or may be better re-joining his old gaffer at Killie.

Murphy can play, I dont think playing Central behind the forwards is working for him.
All his best stuff seems to be off the left wing.

Magennis, not a clue tbh, I thought we were getting another McGinn. But so far I've only seen him play wide midfield. Which he just isn't.

Wright... oh dear, hasn't worked and hasn't looked likely to work.
Except against Hunco, twice!? Very disappointed outside of that.

Wright should be punted immediately. No where near good enough

Murphy was a player in his day. Championship player now.

Magennis. Terrible injury. Give him a year.
Agree with your assessments of Wright and Magennis.
What Championship for Murphy though? Certainly not the Scottish version, the guy is inconsistent but he is quality.
Hopefully he can get a run of form which would improve us massively.

I think Wrights time is up at Hibs being honest. He's had a few chances to impress in a Hibs shirt and just isn't cut out for it imo and has struggled. Magennis is a strange one because I think we still haven't seen enough of him. He was very good at St.Mirren and captained them so I think there's a player there. Murphy frustrates me the most out of the 3. You just know he has the quality in him and has shown glimpses but hasn't done it as consistently as I'd have hoped.

I recall Billy Findlay getting a 5 year deal, although he didn't really hit the heights.

Agree with all the above points, and hopefully Drey either 'clicks' quickly or may be better re-joining his old gaffer at Killie.
Was Billy Findlay not a product of our youth policy rather than a signing ?
Either way, your right he didn't hit the heights at all despite the great faith put in him by Miller at the time.

What sort of fee was it for Magennis? Can’t remember if it was quoted at time, hope he will be able to kick on

Wouldn’t be upset if Murphy left but think we are committed to another season now

Wright could certainly go unlikely to feature again this season

What sort of fee was it for Magennis? Can’t remember if it was quoted at time, hope he will be able to kick on

Wouldn’t be upset if Murphy left but think we are committed to another season now

Wright could certainly go unlikely to feature again this season

£200-250k?

Our squad composition has been the thing Ive had the biggest gripe with tbh...we seemed to sign loads of midfielders and left ourselves with 2 strikers in the squad and very limited options at centre half.

I think Murphy has quality and has shown it in flashes..he seems to pick up niggling injuries that interrupt his chances of consistant form. He's contributed a fair bit in terms of winning pens and assists from memory.

I eventually ran out of patience with Wright..he had a couple of decent games early on but many more absolute howlers when he couldnt pass to a green jersey. His body language at times was awful and he just looked like he;d decided it wasnt going to work for him at Hibs.

Magennis is a player I hadnt noticed or heard many people talking about prior to us signing him. He looks like a gust of wind would blow him away. As others have pointed out he seems to have been a player we have aggressively targetted for a while so I hope my initial reservations (even allowing for him recovering from injury) are misplaced. I wouldnt want him in the centre of midfield tbh and he doesn;t look to me that he can play wider either so Im not too sure where he fits in when everyone is fit. Given he has such a long contract he's got time on his side so I think he's one we'll have to be patient with.

For me the spine of the team is what needs money spending on it (presuming there is any about). From that perspective I hope we keep Marciano as he's about as good as we can get on our budget.

Little worrying that neither player's mentioned have really improved the starting 11.

I'd be tempted to stick with Wright a bit longer, simply because I don't believe he can be as bad as he's been. In his defence, he's not really had a decent run in the team. There's got to be a player in there somewhere.

Murphy can go for me, he's at an age where he's not going to get any better. The odd 10 minutes here and there isn't good enough. Never seen him as long term.

Mcginnes is a mystery to me and I'm not entirely sure where he fits in, but I have faith in JR that he's worth the money and the wait.

Little worrying that neither player's mentioned have really improved the starting 11.

I'd say Murphy has improved the quality in the opposition third.
He should have more goals however and would probably have a load of assists had Doidge managed a goal in any of his games.

A point i missed earlier, he does make some nice passes and plays, perhaps his numbers would look better had we been more prolific.

No excusing when he looks half arsed though, when it's not going right you need big players to step up, he absolutely should be a big player for us.
Maybe another that needs preseason and consistent games. He has played since being here obviously, but he had no football prior.

£200-250k?

Incredible money when you think about it at any time especially in a pandemic.

Reactions: Zab
Was Billy Findlay not a product of our youth policy rather than a signing ?
Either way, your right he didn't hit the heights at all despite the great faith put in him by Miller at the time.
Aye, I think you’re right. Apologies.
I didn’t read your post carefully. It was the 5 year term that grabbed my attention.

Surprised Nisbet isn't included seeing as he was expensive, was supposed to really want to be here yet demanded a transfer at the first sniff of a move down south.

Surprised Nisbet isn't included seeing as he was expensive, was supposed to really want to be here yet demanded a transfer at the first sniff of a move down south.
I think he’s spat the dummy, he disnae look like he wants tae be on the pitch.

Really was disgusting behavior when you think about it. He's been let off very lightly.

I think he’s spat the dummy, he disnae look like he wants tae be on the pitch.
I agree. The factur other striker isn't scoring yet Nisbet still can't get a game would suggest Nisbet isn't at his best in training.

I’d give Nisbet the benefit of the doubt until he gets some actual game time and we can tell how he’s contributing to the team. Ross would keep Doidge up front as long as the team was winning and even if he was missing 10 sitters a game and in floods of tears on the pitch. That’s what he does. We have now lost a game and his performance levels have been rank for some time so expect some movement on that front.

Couple of folk mention Nisbet’s attitude is a disgrace and the bounce bodies are lined up for a game of follow my leader and he’s the devil
child.

I’m not his biggest fan either by the way as I think the Euro 2020 chat went to his head a while back and he had less team focus.

He’s the best forward we have though and providing everything is right in training then get the C on the pitch.

I’d give Nisbet the benefit of the doubt until he gets some actual game time and we can tell how he’s contributing to the team. Ross would keep Doidge up front as long as the team was winning and even if he was missing 10 sitters a game and in floods of tears on the pitch. That’s what he does. We have now lost a game and his performance levels have been rank for some time so expect some movement on that front.

Couple of folk mention Nisbet’s attitude is a disgrace and the bounce bodies are lined up for a game of follow my leader and he’s the devil
child.

I’m not his biggest fan either by the way as I think the Euro 2020 chat went to his head a while back and he had less team focus.

He’s the best forward we have though and providing everything is right in training then get the C on the pitch.

I think Boyle is the best forward we have. It’s no coincidence that he hit is worst run of form playing as a winger, yet began to thrive again when moved centrally.

I think Boyle is the best forward we have. It’s no coincidence that he hit is worst run of form playing as a winger, yet began to thrive again when moved centrally.
Undoubtedly, Boyle is 100% our best forward, both in terms of ability and attitude.

Boyle through the middle has recently been our best striker, I agree. I still think NIssy is a player and as EA suggests, he has had his head turned with Euro2020 talk and Birmingham City's interest. He has had very little game time recently.

child.

I don't think Nisbet really cares much about the Euros - if he did he would trying like a bear, hee would be in the Hibs team and would be scoring goals. Instead, all be has shown is disloyalty to Hibs and precious little when he has got onto the park.

Minutes played since his strop.

Im pretty sure he’s not that daft that he’ll be downing tools and potentially scuppering a summer move.

Get the C in the team. He can GTF once third place and a similar fee are in the bag.

F95B3E58-80C2-41AA-BEEA-DEA593E14BFF.jpeg

Minutes played since his strop.

Im pretty sure he’s not that daft that he’ll be downing tools and potentially scuppering a summer move.

Get the C in the team. He can GTF once third place and a similar fee are in the bag.

View attachment 4546
It was unfortunate for him that the team hit form when he was in the powder puff.

Assuming that he is trying a leg in training he will get more game time soon, and I very much hope for him and us that he scores a barrowload. He owes us.

Fair point and I always just think of Doidge and Nisbet as our only forwards. Last night included when I was bemoaning the fact we didn’t have a third like Jason Cummings who has bagged 3 in 3 starts at Dundee and who would’ve been a no brainer signing for 4 months.

Boyle on current form can hopefully do the business for us.

My concern over the least few weeks is that we have become so dependent on Martin Boyle for our goals.

Nisbet is not even starting games and when he does he is not offering much. I rate him and he was excellent in the first half of the season, but I get the impression he thinks he is better than he actually is. This is his first full season playing top flight football, and you need more than that to be ready to play at a higher level. His agent has clearly influenced him, and unfortunately for Hibs it has affected his game. If he was showing the right attitude at training he would be starting games.

Doidge is having a poor season compared to last season. He is the type of striker that depends on good service, particularly good crosses as he is decent in the air. We don't provide this sort of service often enough IMO. His confidence has been shot this season and that plays on a striker when he is missing chances regularly. He will be wondering where his next goal is coming from. Ross has faith in him though, so we just have to hope he hits another goal run soon.

Boyle I think has benefitted moving into the centre, however opposition teams know that all they have to do is stop him and Hibs are then devoid of any real goal threat. Our midfielders don't score anything like enough goals. When you are dependent on one player scoring it's only a matter of time before things start going wrong in terms of results.

If we are to get third place finish we are going to have to hit the goal trail again very soon preferably starting on Saturday. A huge and difficult away game against a side that regularly gives us problems and who will be on a high after winning the League Cup.

Our midfielders don't score anything like enough goals. When you are dependent on one player scoring it's only a matter of time before things start going wrong in terms of results.
Goal scoring midfielders are like hens teeth outside of the Old Firm. I had a look at the top scorers chart today the only non-Uglies midfielders I could see in the top 20 were Ferguson (8) Burke (7) and McGrath (6).

I'd love to find a way to get Dodige, Nisbet and Boyle starting in advanced roles.

My update on Nisbet would be....

Without question the big successful signing of last summer. The laddie is a natural finisher scoring some sensational goals. Not surprisingly he was very quickly subjected to media speculation linking him with many clubs building up to the January transfer window. And throughout January the club received offers for the player that would have meant an excellent return on investment for the club. Demonstrating our intent to be a successful club, owner Ron Gordon rejected all bids received. Media speculation was that the player submitted a transfer request. Manager Jack Ross then decided to drop the player to the bench. Thus far he's not regained his starting place and when introduced as a substitute he's not looked particularly impressive or demonstrated good body language. Is he really intent to sacrifice a potential Scotland call up for pettiness? Time me thinks for him to be selected and for him to again produce.

I'm assuming Magennis is injured yet again?!! How many times has he come back and got injured? FFS it's now over 4 months Ross bizzarely started him at Hampden...

I think we have bigger problems now

Doidge 0 goals in 14
Nisbet 2 in 14

I'm assuming Magennis is injured yet again?!! How many times has he come back and got injured? FFS it's now over 4 months Ross bizzarely started him at Hampden...
He's been ill with Covid. His fault, no doubt.

This thread has been viewed 5569 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back