Mental Health

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
I'm a million miles away from where I was at in Jan/Feb. The prospect of going for a beer in the Meadows after work tonight with a couple of good pals - you'd like to think we'll never take the small stuff for granted again. Because it's not really the "small stuff" - it is in fact the only stuff, in the final analysis.

Happy Fri-YAY, Bouncers!
That's great to hear, enjoy your beers. Maybe don't do boxing with the young uns up at the Meadows though 😂

Stu

Maple Leaf Radge
My b

my 59 year old sister in law committed suicide on Monday 1st feb. RIP
It's a few weeks go and at the same time I'm really sorry to read this, eck. I do hope that you and your family are coping with such a difficult situation. As a practitioner and one with a lived experience, please feel free to get in touch if you and yours become stuck a little. Very willing to offer a bit of support..

Take care of yourselves.

Admin
It's a few weeks go and at the same time I'm really sorry to read this, eck. I do hope that you and your family are coping with such a difficult situation. As a practitioner and one with a lived experience, please feel free to get in touch if you and yours become stuck a little. Very willing to offer a bit of support..

Take care of yourselves.

That was very kind of you Stu and good to see you back.

HibsSM1979

Just A Radge
Great thread and good to know people can talk about this now without fearing negative responses. I’ve been on anti-depressants for a long time and obviously, the way the past year has been hasn’t helped. Thankfully, I have kids and they keep me focussed and busy as well as my job. But it is a struggle at times and I’m just hoping that we can continue to see more restrictions ease and people have more freedom to get out and about. I’m not saying that the lockdowns were without merit, we are dealing with a pandemic here but they will leave a mark particularly with people who were already finding life a struggle or hard enough before this virus and subsequent lockdowns occurred

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
Great thread and good to know people can talk about this now without fearing negative responses. I’ve been on anti-depressants for a long time and obviously, the way the past year has been hasn’t helped. Thankfully, I have kids and they keep me focussed and busy as well as my job. But it is a struggle at times and I’m just hoping that we can continue to see more restrictions ease and people have more freedom to get out and about. I’m not saying that the lockdowns were without merit, we are dealing with a pandemic here but they will leave a mark particularly with people who were already finding life a struggle or hard enough before this virus and subsequent lockdowns occurred
Absolutely agree and the other thing we'll need to be conscious of over the coming weeks and months is that not everyone will be able to seamlessly switch back to "normality". I'm sure there will be lots of folk feeling varying degrees of anxiety about going back to offices / on public transport / even meeting friends etc

HibsSM1979

Just A Radge
Absolutely agree and the other thing we'll need to be conscious of over the coming weeks and months is that not everyone will be able to seamlessly switch back to "normality". I'm sure there will be lots of folk feeling varying degrees of anxiety about going back to offices / on public transport / even meeting friends etc
Absolutely mate. This will leave a mark for sure and even when we get the go ahead to pick up on things in life we have had to put on hold whilst in lockdown, people will still be concerned about doing so. Mental health services are going to be working hard for some time sadly in dealing with the outcome of the past year or so

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
Recently went to the doctors as mental health has been crap for a long time but collapsed completely recently, same meds for 12 years on the same dose with no doctor monitoring if they where in fact working or not (turns out not), so had them upped and went to see a councillor who has said that he thinks I actually have a form of ptsd and may have had it for years without realising, crazy times for all mental health.

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Recently went to the doctors as mental health has been crap for a long time but collapsed completely recently, same meds for 12 years on the same dose with no doctor monitoring if they where in fact working or not (turns out not), so had them upped and went to see a councillor who has said that he thinks I actually have a form of ptsd and may have had it for years without realising, crazy times for all mental health.
Hopefully the new dose helps Mandy

eckmf

I'm a Radge Donator

Take care of yourselves.
Thank you for your kind sentiments, we finally laid her to rest on Monday at mortenhall and in turn has given us a sense of closure at last.

Stu

Maple Leaf Radge
Thank you for your kind sentiments, we finally laid her to rest on Monday at mortenhall and in turn has given us a sense of closure at last.
It's an important time as we travel through those stages of grief, it's good to hear that it helps a little.

Maybe this has come to mind with you eck but it's commonly said that there are two simple questions that can sometimes haunt suicide survivors (i.e. those who have had someone close die this way) a little, they are:

Why did they do it?

Could I have done something to prevent it?

I think regards the first question we need to say - even quite bluntly as it was said to me - that, sadly, we can never know the complete answer. I found the simple idea that understanding it's a question that can never be adequately dealt with was a help to me. It was hard to hear but it helped. There can be no point in pursuing this line of thought, for anyone's benefit but it certainly is part of the journey towards making some sense of things. It's true to say that the person themselves may not even have known.

Regards the second question, we have a habit of wondering if we missed the signs or weren't somehow attentive enough. We can never have had allthe clues, such a decision by a person is a highly complex one. Guilt and self-reproach can be common in survivors but sometimes people who have lost their lives to suicide can become calmer in their latter days - their mood had lifted positively and they seem to be 'better'. This can be because they have already made their peace with their decision. We cannot ever be truly to blame for the actions they took, no matter how much we loved them or how close we were. To blame ourselves can be potentialy harmful to our own health and so we must remember that we are in no way responsible.

Wish you and your family peace, eck. Best wishes.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here