Mental Health

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
As has been mentioned on the Coronavirus thread the mental health implications of the current situation are going to be far reaching and long lasting. The optimistic part of me hopes that the sheer scale of the mental health issues will lead to it finally being taken seriously and proper funding put in place. That isn't going to happen overnight though so we're all just going to have to muddle through as best we can.

With that in mind I thought it might be worth starting a thread with no fixed agenda really. Just for folk to share how they're feeling, chat about anything that's worked for them, share links to any resources they know of that might help. That kind of thing.

Personally I'm feeling OK at the moment, I'm glad we've gone full lockdown as the charts I've seen from down south were starting to make me properly anxious that things could get totally out of control very quickly. I feel like I have a general background anxiety that I think is probably affecting my blood pressure so I'm having a go at reading this book which has been recommended to me as a good way to try to still the mind and stop it from constantly thinking about stuff:

Here's another one that has been highly recommended:

And also I got a notification the other day that this is now available on Netflix. I used to have the app which was very good:

Conscious that those are all based on a 'mindfulness' type approach and that's not necessarily going to work for everybody, just posting them as a few examples.

How's everybody else feeling? Any hints and tips to share?

tayside hibee

Well-Known Radge
Ohh, I have my moments!!!

I think it is a minefield ( should that be mindfield!) as what’s good for one is not for another. Also, it effects people all different ways, and for different reasons. The result is very much the same though. It can be very debilitating.
It stole a lot of my confidence, though I’m in quite a good place these days.
During the time we won the cup, I was suffering quite bad. I went to the final and had a superb day, but the following day I was engulfed with negatives thoughts. It was very cruel.. One of the scariest, but best bits of advice I got was you learn to live with it. You manage it and learn enough tricks to keep on top of it . Then eventually , hopefully, like this virus, you suppress it enough that it’s not an issue.

One day you can be the best person to give support / advice, the next week , you can be the one who needs it.
Im up for both .

moathibby

Legendary Radge
As everyone probably knows I'm no stranger to going totally bammy.I take Risperidone which is an anti psychotic and (touching my Ikea coffee table) I'm fairly ok at the moment.I think exercise is the key,which reminds me I must get my puncture on my bike fixed.Bit if you do feel a bit stressed or a bit teary or down please don't be scared to ask for help.I'm not too proud to walk up to the Royal Ed and buzz the buzzer on the door if I need to.

ReeYees

New radge
For anyone that needs to reach out and is struggling then please give MHAS (Mental Health Assessment Service) at the Royal Edinburgh a tinkle (0131 286 8137) Unfortunately as you will be aware you can't just rock up at this moment in time. None the less you will speak to an experienced mental health nurse/practitioner who can provide necessary advice to your given situation.

This pandemic will create a ripple within both the NHS (namely mental health) and 3rd sector services given how many thousands of people have experienced isolation for the first time in their lives which can be devastating to some. I've witnessed first hand the persons experiencing first episode psychosis and having to be restrained for their own safety which is always distressing to both staff and patient. If anyone is genuinely not coping at the moment then please contact the above number or anyone here on the bounce even if its to just blow off some steam.

Reeyees

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Excellent thread.
For as long as i can remember I've felt worthless and a had a high level of self hatred.
Came to a head a few years back with panic attacks and crippling anxiety.
Sought medical help,proscribed anti ds which helped lessen things.
Weaned off them after 18mths and felt ok,then the black clouds rolled in,ignored it for 2 long until my gaffer told me to go home and phone the doctor.
Long appointment with an excellent GP proscribed different Antibiotics ds,weekly check ins and 8weeks off work.
She provided me with some coping mechanisms and websites,took a wee while and things are much better.
Still struggle,especially in winter but exercise and loud music help.
Anybody struggling get help.
The Longbangers mental health podcasts are really good and I'm told the Hibs changing room project works.

ReeYees

New radge
Excellent thread.
For as long as i can remember I've felt worthless and a had a high level of self hatred.
Weaned off them after 18mths and felt ok,then the black clouds rolled in,ignored it for 2 long until my gaffer told me to go home and phone the doctor.
Long appointment with an excellent GP proscribed different Antibiotics ds,weekly check ins and 8weeks off work.
She provided me with some coping mechanisms and websites,took a wee while and things are much better.
The Longbangers mental health podcasts are really good and I'm told the Hibs changing room project works.
I think you make a great point but what is interesting is the term 'weaned' when talking about your anti-depressant medication. A good bit of advice to anyone thinking of coming off their medication please don't just stop taking them as more often than not the side effects can be pretty nasty at times and can present both physically and mentally. Also if you are thinking of going onto anti-depressants please be aware that you may feel a dip in your mood initially which can happen with some of the ssri's but this will lessen as the medication builds up in your system.

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
Excellent thread.
Exercise / getting out in the fresh air really does seem to be one of the best things to do. I find it really hard to motivate myself to get out though, any tips for getting me off my lazy arse?? Think I'll target 6,000 steps a day for January and see how that goes.

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
I think you make a great point but what is interesting is the term 'weaned' when talking about your anti-depressant medication. A good bit of advice to anyone thinking of coming off their medication please don't just stop taking them as more often than not the side effects can be pretty nasty at times and can present both physically and mentally. Also if you are thinking of going onto anti-depressants please be aware that you may feel a dip in your mood initially which can happen with some of the ssri's but this will lessen as the medication builds up in your system.
Weaned by the doctor over a period of months

Westside Green

Well-Known Radge
Exercise / getting out in the fresh air really does seem to be one of the best things to do. I find it really hard to motivate myself to get out though, any tips for getting me off my lazy arse?? Think I'll target 6,000 steps a day for January and see how that goes.
Only advice I can give about exercise is when you can't be bothered try and find the motivation and you might get into the habit of doing it regularly. Walking, running, cycling or whatever you can manage helps. Set a modest target and aim for 1% improvement each session and see where you get to in 3 months

tayside hibee

Well-Known Radge
Another dangerous route is the bevvy.
You feel shit for a few days, you know their is a relief , short term sitting in your cupboard. You give in, you get relief, you have a couple extra, you pay it back with interest next day.
Repeat repeat and fukin repeat again.
Exercise , healthy eating and a Good hobby are all god tools.
Certain people are Good to be around , certain ones are not!!! Not being in the mood and having to chat to people can be a toughie.
Someone once explained it to me, that your brain becomes addicted to the adrenaline which being on High alert , or depressed produces.
I was /am lucky that I'm quite open, and have a strong family and friends network, but for sure , you feel there is only so many times you can burden them . That's when speaking to a stranger can help.

A great thread , and hopefully well used , but I feel it would benefit from being in private members maybe? Just a suggestion .

Doc Shrink

Retired Radge
Get a dog!
I’ve been looking after my sons Labrador pup as he and his missus are currently in NZ.
Walking miles a day that I wouldn’t be bothered with prior to having a pooch to exercise.
I reckon I’ve lost about fifty pounds so far.
Squeaky toys, dog biscuits and chews don’t come fcukin cheap.

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
Another dangerous route is the bevvy.
You feel shit for a few days, you know their is a relief , short term sitting in your cupboard. You give in, you get relief, you have a couple extra, you pay it back with interest next day.
Repeat repeat and fukin repeat again.
Exercise , healthy eating and a Good hobby are all god tools.
Certain people are Good to be around , certain ones are not!!! Not being in the mood and having to chat to people can be a toughie.
Someone once explained it to me, that your brain becomes addicted to the adrenaline which being on High alert , or depressed produces.
I was /am lucky that I'm quite open, and have a strong family and friends network, but for sure , you feel there is only so many times you can burden them . That's when speaking to a stranger can help.

A great thread , and hopefully well used , but I feel it would benefit from being in private members maybe? Just a suggestion .
I did wonder about putting it on PM board but I suppose not everyone has access to that. I'm happy for it to be moved if folk think that would be better, I can definitely see the benefit of it being in a more private space.

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
Get a dog!
I’ve been looking after my sons Labrador pup as he and his missus are currently in NZ.
Walking miles a day that I wouldn’t be bothered with prior to having a pooch to exercise.
I reckon I’ve lost about fifty pounds so far.
Squeaky toys, dog biscuits and chews don’t come fcukin cheap.
My Mrs says I'm no allowed!

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here