Leigh Griffiths - extends at Celtc for 1 year 01/07/2021

SUPPORT THE SITE!
October Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £45.00

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
I have found a lot of these type comments you make quite interesting...

"... he'd not play ahead of Hanlon so he'd have to sign knowing he's not going to play".

"...I don't think he'd play ahead of Nisbet".

Apologies if I've not exactly quoted what you've said but it's been along they lines....

I think that's long been our problem at Hibs. Too many are guaranteed a start. Nobody at a club the size and statue of Hibs should be guaranteed a start. And no player is able to play every game.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but for me you assemble the best possible squad you can with the budget you have. Nobody is guaranteed a jersey. You create healthy competition. You play well you retain the jersey. If not there's alternatives within the squad. Neither Paul Hanlon nor Kevin Nisbet are that good to be guaranteed a start. And neither will be fit for every game.

And I'm not buying it that Leigh Griffith's couldn't have partnered Kevin Nisbet. And I'm not buying it that James Scott will score more, or create more, than Leigh Griffith's would have.

A wasted opportunity for me.

I dont necessarily disagree with anything that you're saying in general.
But on a case by case basis, I think I have an argument

Leigh vs Nisbet, i do not believe that Leigh Griffiths right now, is better than Kevin Nisbet. So Kevin is ahead of him in the pecking order, you bring in someone who would be probably the top paid player at the club, then he would need to be first name on the sheet to even come close to justifying the wages.
Then add Leighs recurring injury problems, public lack of general fitness and not very many goals despite a respectable amount of appearances at the clear best club in the country over that period. among everything else. It's not worth the money.

Yes they could play together, but who you dropping to do so? Cause someone has to fall out the squad.

I'm not sure who the conversation vs Paul Hanlon was, (I do remember the rough quote) but Paul has been mainstay since forever, (rightly or wrongly at times) he's now officially club captain and statistically whether you like it or not, he's our best defender. Opinions can be whatever, but numbers are numbers. We could sign McCart today (I'm sure it was probably him we were talking about) and if Paul is fit to go at Tynecastle, I'd bet that Paul starts ahead of him.

Nobody coming into the club, within our budget would be a guaranteed start, so they'd have to accept being behind those 2 in the pecking order from the get go and take their chance if and when it arises. That's just how it is.

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
I dont necessarily disagree with anything that you're saying in general.
But on a case by case basis, I think I have an argument

Leigh vs Nisbet, i do not believe that Leigh Griffiths right now, is better than Kevin Nisbet. So Kevin is ahead of him in the pecking order, you bring in someone who would be probably the top paid player at the club, then he would need to be first name on the sheet to even come close to justifying the wages.
Then add Leighs recurring injury problems, public lack of general fitness and not very many goals despite a respectable amount of appearances at the clear best club in the country over that period. among everything else. It's not worth the money.

Yes they could play together, but who you dropping to do so? Cause someone has to fall out the squad.

I'm not sure who the conversation vs Paul Hanlon was, (I do remember the rough quote) but Paul has been mainstay since forever, (rightly or wrongly at times) he's now officially club captain and statistically whether you like it or not, he's our best defender. Opinions can be whatever, but numbers are numbers. We could sign McCart today (I'm sure it was probably him we were talking about) and if Paul is fit to go at Tynecastle, I'd bet that Paul starts ahead of him.

Nobody coming into the club, within our budget would be a guaranteed start, so they'd have to accept being behind those 2 in the pecking order from the get go and take their chance if and when it arises. That's just how it is.
Sorry I'm on the move so can't reply properly. Surely any "pecking order" is fluid at any club. You're only ever behind the guy with the jersey that's performing....

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
Sorry I'm on the move so can't reply properly. Surely any "pecking order" is fluid at any club. You're only ever behind the guy with the jersey that's performing....

Then you must accept that Leigh is nowhere near ready to get ahead of Kev?
Hasn't played, isn't fit, hasn't performed when he has played...

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
Then you must accept that Leigh is nowhere near ready to get ahead of Kev?
Hasn't played, isn't fit, hasn't performed when he has played...
He'd certainly not be selected ahead of him but I don't see why both couldn't play. And if not what a tremendous option from the bench. And if he took his chance and gave a selection headache... Then great! Sadly we will never know. But I predict we will rue missed chances leading to dropped points as Leigh Griffith's knocks them in for Dundee keeping them up...

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
He'd certainly not be selected ahead of him but I don't see why both couldn't play. And if not what a tremendous option from the bench. And if he took his chance and gave a selection headache... Then great! Sadly we will never know. But I predict we will rue missed chances leading to dropped points as Leigh Griffith's knocks them in for Dundee keeping them up...

He's too expensive to be playing for us off the bench, with injury and fitness problems there's nothing to suggest he would manage a full run of games. Much like Murphy imo.

I hope he does well for his sake, but my concerns for Hibs currently are based on defensive frailties more than they are about us creating and scoring chances.

C4MMY

Well-Known Radge
It’s a lot of whataboutery. Revisit this at end of season and see how it looks then, 1s no kicked a ball in a year due to a bad injury but is a talented prospect that after a decent run for Motherwell earned a move to a then championship side and the others barely kicked a ball in 2 years and has a lot of personal/mental stuff going on so let’s wait and see how it plays out over the course of season and decide then if hibs were right or wrong

hibs1875

Just A Radge
Not bringing in either Jason or Leigh with our striker shortage is really really bad patter.

I kinda understand that they bring some issues with them but they score goals and that's all that matters at the end of the day

sauzee 1875

Well-Known Radge
If that's true
Sounds to me that whatever we have had lined up, fell through and we tried this as a last minute throw of the dice

A little worrying.

I'd throw Jason some money. Really would.
Never looked it thst waY as a plan B so to speak though agree yes is worrying when you do.

50/50 on cummimgs myself tbh
Legend for obvious reason just something says no. Though be happy if did

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
Will score a lot of goals for them, a half fit Griffiths scores goals, always has done since his Hutchy days, we must have somefhing really good lined up.....

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here