Killie memories

WillieWilson

VIP Member
In October 1997 my dad and I went down one Saturday to see Hibernian play at Rugby Park. Arriving very early we thought we'd ask if we could see the Scottish Cup. (As you would). Killie were the holders, having won the trophy with a goal in the final from a former Hibs player under the guidance of a future Hibs manager. A very obliging woman from the Commercial Department took us into the trophy room, unlocked a display cabinet, took out the cup, and let us take a few pictures. I remember looking for the name of Hibernian inscribed on the trophy and plinth. It was getting on for 100 years then. Here is a photo of a photo of my dad with the cup:
dadcup.jpg
I should say, football was quite far down my dad's list of priorities in life, but he liked to see his children happy, and that's why he put up with strange impulses like this.
So to the game. This was the season that started with Chic Charnley's wonder goals v Celtc and Alloa and ended with relegation. At this stage Hibs were still fourth in the league but the slide had started and this match was near the beginning of a run of 15 games without a win. Kevin Harper was sent off along with a Killie player after only 15 minutes, the home team re-organised better and took a two-goal lead near the start of the second half. Pat Nevin was one of the scorers. Hibs tried to force their way back into the game and got a goal ten minutes from the end from debutant sub Bjarndlfur Larasson but the home side held on for a 2-1 win.
The Hibs line-up: Gottskalksson; Miller, Hughes, Dods, Boco; Harper, Charnley, Dow, McGinlay; Lavety, Crawford. Subs: Tosh, Larasson, Welsh.
A few names in there who certainly didn't disgrace the green and white in their time at Hibs, along with some best forgotten.

cleanyman

New radge
The venue where Riordan scored his 100th goal for Hibs

Think we lost 2-1 as well

That dud Hammil might have scored two

Greenmachine

VIP Member
Not too many happy memories from yesteryear at Rugby Park when I used to regularly go to away games. I do remember going to a League Cup tie there one Wednesday night when I was still at school. Must have been about '79 or '80. Hibs lost 2-1, I think Tony Higgins got Hibs goal. Anyway, the driver of our supporters bus took a wrong turning after the game and we ended up in Ardrossan.
Didnae get hame till about 2 or 3 in the morning and my ma went daft at my brother and me for getting back so late with it being a a school night, she wouldn't believe me when I told her what had happened with the driver.

Much more recently, I remember watching us beat them 4-2 with Leigh Griffiths getting a hat-trick in a Scottish Cup tie about 8 years ago. Game was live on council telly.

greencol

Skivin cooncil Radge
VIP Member
Much more recently, I remember watching us beat them 4-2 with Leigh Griffiths getting a hat-trick in a Scottish Cup tie about 8 years ago. Game was live on council telly.
The Blue Toon massive were going strong at that period in time.
I have to admit to some bowel weakness when the away stand started trembling at about 6 on the Richter scale when Leigh's penalty went in.
Great day out.

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Legend
I have to admit to some bowel weakness when the away stand started trembling at about 6 on the Richter scale when Leigh's penalty went in.
Great day out.
Watched it in the Minto after a boxing show put on by Brad, I think we thought the game would be on the Saturday so booked tickets for the boxing.

tricky

VIP Member
Nice one Willie.

Hibs were fairly poor through at Kilmarnock through my early and teenage years (Wright, Dargo, Boyd etc etc) but over the last decade that has improved.

The 2-0 win there in 2007 (Fletcher and Sproule) Sticks in the mind - Hibs were solid in the full dark green away strip.

Thought the stand would collapse this day.

Marciano inspired.
Big win for Hibs as Killie rue missed chances

What a support

Love the defiance less than 12 months after a very sair cup final defeat

vasco de gama

VIP Member
Tam McManus last minute winner in 2001 cup semi final was some bounce

Pedant alert it was the quarter final. Very good Hibs turnout that day. Seem to remember there was some sort of hassle about traveling down to Ayrshire due to mad cow disease at the time? Think Marc Libra made his debut that game as well.

tricky

VIP Member
Pedant alert it was the quarter final. Very good Hibs turnout that day. Seem to remember there was some sort of hassle about traveling down to Ayrshire due to mad cow disease at the time? Think Marc Libra made his debut that game as well.

Aye sorry, a typo. Think Sauzee went off injured maybe and we ended up with a strange formation

NW

VIP Member
I remember travelling down on a very wet Friday, it was Yogi’s debut and killie got 4 and i recall Jim McIntyre giving us a torrid night.
Highlight was the supporters bus coming through the dark and wild eaglesham moor and I swear I saw a one of yon big cats on in the wild.

another memory, although the fame and score I can’t relay was getting to the ground and one of the old characters from the Royal Nip put on his forth ports yellow jacket, banged on the gate and shouting steward and got in for a freebie.

another was early 2000’s I was in the West and killie v hibs had a reverse game so I went along to get some pies for my dinner. Maybe about 20 at the game and I was the rare hibs fan, eventually the killie bench asked me to shut the fuck up and stop giving them stick, ended 1 -1 , I left hoarse, fed and highly amused.

Great day out.
Was in the back row for that game and pretty much accepted I was going to die in a pile of rubble and steel. Did not enjoy that at all.

Seem to recall Boozy getting a sore one there in a midweek game? The wee room at the end of the main stand had a window you could see him getting treatment. Think that was the beginning of the end for him..

Hattie

Donator
Legend
Great day out.
That was so true, brilliant atmosphere and bounce, the stand was literally bouncing with us

tricky

VIP Member
Was in the back row for that game and pretty much accepted I was going to die in a pile of rubble and steel. Did not enjoy that at all.

Seem to recall Boozy getting a sore one there in a midweek game? The wee room at the end of the main stand had a window you could see him getting treatment. Think that was the beginning of the end for him..

Did his cruciate at rugby park, don’t think it was a midweek game though

Latest Posts

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

Can you Help At All?
Goal
£107.00
Earned
£70.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage Visit Hibs Picks