• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Just back and we just couldnae score

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest, Hibs were rotten first half, the Gogic, Irvine, Newell midfield disnae work, one daft mistake by Josh Doig gave the Saints their only shot at goal and they scored. Second half we camped in their half, deserved a draw but just could not score. We are watching our lead on Aberdeen slip away, much as the Sunderland fans complained about when Jack Ross was boss there?

Saint Johnstone are not a good team, they score and shut up shop, and rarely look like scoring. We lose the first goal, we dinnae ever come back from that. First half I felt we starved Boyler and Nissy of the ball and when they did get it, it was gorgie hoofball. I though Irvine and Newell were very poor first half, the odd nice touch isnae enough. Saints stopped Cadden and Doig playing, clever tactics by Saints, our switch to put Boyler right didnae work, Boyle never kicked a ball second half.

I have read on here and from friends and family that we are shite, I don't think so, I simply think we cannae score at the moment, too many mistakes, too much pissing about at the back and in midfield and no Scottie Alan passes to get the strikers through on goal.

So to the team

Rocky had nothing to do, he even got a hand to the very well taken goal Saintees scored.

I am convinced Paul McGinn does not like playing on the right side of a back three, he has gone to pieces since playing there. Ye cannae go from being our most consistent player to that bad without a reason. I felt he was poor again today.

Porto had a good game today, one mistake that I can remember.

Paul Hanlon had a very good game too, should have scored his header, but I have been saying that for 10 years.

Chris Cadden was marked tightly, Saints worked our game out early, it took us to after half time to change that.

Josh Doig should have booted it out at there goal, and was very closely marked by O'Halloran throughout but he was excellent.

Gogic was the best of the midfield three, he did his job.

Joe Newell was poor, looked disinterested and when he did get a good chance he managed to schlaff it wide.

Last few weeks I have been less impressed with Irvine, today he had half a dozen nice touches but most of the game he was reported missing. I felt it looked like he didnae ken where he was supposed to be playing.

Boyler got no service as a striker first half, and got little service as a winger second half. He is better through the middle.

Nissy got no service first half but looked much more dangerous when Doidge came on. I thought he had a good second half but service is an issue.

Subs

Doidge replaced Cadden after 55 minutes and offered a lot after taking ten minutes to get his first touch. Him and Nissy worked well and he should have scored after a good pass from Nisbet he hit it straight at the keeper.

Murphy for Irvine was a good swap, but let's be honest Murphy didnae offer much, again.

Hallberg replaced Joe with 10 to go. No reflection on Melker but it should have been Scottie coming on, he might have changed the game, Melker doesn't.

The Boss

I haven't heard an interview, but we cannae say to much, he played the team many of us suggested, he changed it when it wasn't working. He cannae magic the ball into the net, the players can and didnae.

St Johnstone

If we cannae beat them, do we deserve to get third this season? I don't think so.

The Referee, well I didnae fancy him, looked like the rookie he is.

I watched the game on Hooky TV today, it was perfect, better than Hibs Pass! I wish Cliff and Tam were more critical of the players sometimes. As someone suggested some chances were not unlucky, they was shite, say so. You know Tam thinks it with his heavy breathing.

Hibs Man of the Match

Weirdly we did have some good performances, Paul Hanlon, Ryan Porteous and Alex Gogic come to mind. However our best player was Josh Doig, his desire, effort, and ability shone through. Pity his shot hadn't gone in.

Next up is Ross County away next Saturday in our game in hand. Yogi will have us worked out so Jack better have something up his sleeve.

Hibernian Forever!

Last edited:
Didn’t see the game today so can’t comment specifically, however RE our midfield three and the reference to Irvine looking poor the last few weeks. I don’t think he and Newell complement each other. I’d have to go back and check the line ups but think Irvine has regressed since Newell came back in. He looks to have ended up playing deeper a lot of the time which nullifies much of his attributes.

Still can’t work out why we didn’t sign a striker is January...

Beating St Johnstone ( or not as case may be here) doesn't mean we dont deserve our league position.
Every season there is a team that seems to have the Indian sign on us.
Happens with most clubs I reckon.

Otherwise, pretty much how the game was.
Rocky was a spectator.
Unfortunately so was their "keeper.

Need Doidge or Nisbet, or Boyle, or anyone to start scoring again.

Let’s be honest,we’ve been not rotten but abysmal and totally void of ideas and leadership in all but one game

Nisbet and doidge have one goal between them this year?

He needs to find a system whereby he can start Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle at the same time.

We need to find a manager that can find a system to bring these players together

How would those who saw the game describe Nisbets body language ?

In a phrase !! Pish poor

Let’s be honest,we’ve been not rotten but abysmal and totally void of ideas and leadership in all but one game
Ok I'll bite, which game

We have gone from not taking chances to not creating them.
Long aimless balls hoofed up the park for the most part today.
If Scotty is fit, play him.

Ok I'll bite, which game
Aberdeen

Oh and you don’t need to bite

Rotten

To be honest,it was'nt great,but he had absolutely no service from the midfield.

I said in another thread yesterday we'd struggle to score against St johnstone, unfortunately I was right. Although I'm not a fortune teller. Its quite simple, Saints defend well, we lack savvy to break down a packed defence and when we ever do, we don't have strikers who can take chances. In fact our best striker is actually also our best winger and creator.
Its odd innit, the fact we're 3rd in the league, we should all be smiling but there's a huge despondency about the support right now. Despite our league position, I think we all know many cracks have been papered over this season and this team could go into free fall very easily.
Sorry for such a negative post, I'm just scunnered with it all right now.
Thanks for the just back.

He done thus with Dunfermline when he didn't get his move to us, reckon he wants gone.

I thought it was ok, but playing on his own doesn't suit the lad.
He, like Doidge , needs a goal.

Nisbet is a disgrace. The boy wants away and doesn’t give a **** about the rest of this season.

Someone at the club should remind him he’s got three years left, so show some respect.

He done thus with Dunfermline when he didn't get his move to us, reckon he wants gone.
He won’t get the move he desires (if that is the case) unless he turns it on between now and the end of the season. If he does it’s a win-win situation. He gets his move and we get, hopefully, good money for someone who aspires to seemingly better than us.
Have to say though IF he is ‘taking the huff’ I would happily take money and get rid. Sounds a bit cheesy but I only want players with our shirt on that want to be here....look at John McGinn’s attitude when we all knew he was leaving and look at him now. A great attitude, obviously along with talent can take you far.

he’s not at that level any way,no where near the level fletcher was at

Ok so in every other game, even the 14 other league games we've won, we've been "abysmal and totally void of ideas and leadership"?

The Aberdeen game which you admire, as I recall we certainly weren't on top until we got a soft penalty and then we could play a counter-attacking game and eventually killed them off with a second goal.

The truth is that with very few exceptions in every game we've played this season we've looked good in some parts of the game and poor at other times. Even in games which have had bitterly disappointing outcomes like the two semi-finals this has been true.

When Hibs win we're not quite as good as some people think and when we lose we're not quite as bad.

He won’t get the move he desires (if that is the case) unless he turns it on between now and the end of the season. If he does it’s a win-win situation. He gets his move and we get, hopefully, good money for someone who aspires to seemingly better than us.
Have to say though IF he is ‘taking the huff’ I would happily take money and get rid. Sounds a bit cheesy but I only want players with our shirt on that want to be here....look at John McGinn’s attitude when we all knew he was leaving and look at him now. A great attitude, obviously along with talent can take you far.
Yeah 100% agree , its surely in neither partys interest for him not to try and if he isnt getting decent service he would look pissed off i suppose . I think JR has fucked up by dropping him , it looks petty and hasn't exactly proved a good move results wise . It'll be yet another interesting summer , lets hope for the right reasons

Don’t admire the Abdeen game !
Played wellish ! As far as the other 13 wins Go can you put your hand on heart and say wow ! We played well there if so can you please state which,because I’ve gone all season so far without that WoW factor

The 4-3-3 we started with didn’t really work.

The goal was a calamity of errors. The attempted header, poor clearance from Doig, a midfielder free at edge of box when we are playing three central midfielders and then, I think, a tv save attempt from our goalie who done the tv bit but forgot the save bit?

Newell is a bit of an enigma, he looks neat and tidy sometimes and might be good in a better team but I don’t get what he brings to the team. Irvine looks half the player he was when he played without him.

Some good performances as @1875 said but none from our creative players.

I said on our group chat during the game that Ross won’t see next season out with fans in grounds. His teams are as exciting as he is unfortunately, crowds will dwindle watching what has been served up this season.

Another week where he has been tactically outmanoeuvred by his opposite number. Today was get first goal and then sit in, knowing we don’t have quality to break them down.

Onwards and upwards hopefully, huge game next week.....

Fine for me.

Fine for me.
Good to hear , unlikely to score without service and any striker looks pissed off if service aint coming

Played wellish ! As far as the other 13 wins Go can you put your hand on heart and say wow ! We played well there if so can you please state which,because I’ve gone all season so far without that WoW factor

When we beat Livingston and Hamilton away, I thought we were excellent. We played well against the Huns and Celtc in a number of games too. That is without looking at results. To say we have played well once all season is complete nonsense.

Good to hear , unlikely to score without service and any striker looks pissed off if service aint coming

I thought he looked back to his old self second half, especially when Doidge came on.

The 4-3-3 we started with didn’t really work.

The goal was a calamity of errors. The attempted header, poor clearance from Doig, a midfielder free at edge of box when we are playing three central midfielders and then, I think, a tv save attempt from our goalie who done the tv bit but forgot the save bit?

Newell is a bit of an enigma, he looks neat and tidy sometimes and might be good in a better team but I don’t get what he brings to the team. Irvine looks half the player he was when he played without him.

Some good performances as @1875 said but none from our creative players.

I said on our group chat during the game that Ross won’t see next season out with fans in grounds. His teams are as exciting as he is unfortunately, crowds will dwindle watching what has been served up this season.

Another week where he has been tactically outmanoeuvred by his opposite number. Today was get first goal and then sit in, knowing we don’t have quality to break them down.

Onwards and upwards hopefully, huge game next week.....

Excellent summary.

14 wins.
Off the top of my head, the game at home against Hamilton when we went 3-0 up.

When we beat Livingston and Hamilton away, I thought we were excellent. We played well against the Huns and Celtc in a number of games too. That is without looking at results. To say we have played well once all season is complete nonsense.

I thought he looked back to his old self second half, especially when Doidge came on.

Excellent summary.
4-1 away to Livingston was probably the best performance this season

I’d agree we did look good in that game to a point,but if that’s all you can recollect off the top of your head then wow !! We’re deffo euro contenders,come on for what ever reason things ain’t right dropping 28 points at home ? I think,how many other hibs managers would have survived that,we’re all football people,have you ever seen a hibs manager with such poor body language,non remonstrating and hands in pocket

Ok haven't seen the game. So I'll have to take everyone else's word for it. Any idea I had that a Newell/ Irvine combo in front of Gogic might work has been proven wrong. So it's either one or the other partnered with somebody else. On a fit day Allen I reckon. If not Hallberg? Mallan? Mcgennis? Murphy?Gullane? Not sure.

Livi away. Hamilton away. Motherwell away. St mirren away early in the season.The draw with the hun...in fact we've played reasonably well against them in defeat ,too.
We have been poor in a number of games, but that's just the way it goes.
We've been poor , other teams have been poor too.
That's why we're third , and they're 4th , 5th ,6th......well, you get the idea.

Find it hard to believe Nisbet has downed tools or taken a huff. He's a pro, he's had a bereavement to get over. Also, he was knocking on the door of the Scotland team with a potentially juicy tie against Engerlund in the summer. Problem seems to be the service he gets.

And did you come into the season hoping with fingers x we’d beat livi Hamilton Motherwell and st mirren away or and drop 28 points at home or did u expect a little more,sorry maybe I’m just getting old and fed up with fact that 44 years as a season Tkt holder I can’t see the improvement in the areas required

Unfortunately we have too many key players who are off form all at the same time...and at probably the worst time of the season possible.

We cannot afford to have the likes of Newell, Boyle Nisbet, Doidge, Murphy, Irvine and McGinn all off form and expect to win games. One of the biggest problems we have faced all season is the lack of proper service to our front players either by passes or crossing accuracy...by all accounts this was evident again today. Scott Allan has been a massive gap in our team, ,and he will only have sporadic appearances between now and the end of the season. In the meantime we just have to hope we get some players back playing to the level they are capable of very soon.

Today was another game where the crucial first goal was lost, and we just never seem to be able to recover when that happens. I am seriously concerned that we are going to blow third spot because despite Aberdeen also struggling badly for goals, they are the absolute masters of grinding out 1-0 wins when they have to, and I expect them to start doing that soon.

Next week's game at Ross County is the biggest and most important league game of the season so far.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, Hibs were rotten first half, the Gogic, Irvine, Newell midfield disnae work, one daft mistake by Josh Doig gave the Saints their only shot at goal and they scored. Second half we camped in their half, deserved a draw but just could not score. We are watching our lead on Aberdeen slip away, much as the Sunderland fans complained about when Jack Ross was boss there?

Saint Johnstone are not a good team, they score and shut up shop, and rarely look like scoring. We lose the first goal, we dinnae ever come back from that. First half I felt we starved Boyler and Nissy of the ball and when they did get it, it was gorgie hoofball. I though Irvine and Newell were very poor first half, the odd nice touch isnae enough. Saints stopped Cadden and Doig playing, clever tactics by Saints, our switch to put Boyler right didnae work, Boyle never kicked a ball second half.

I have read on here and from friends and family that we are shite, I don't think so, I simply think we cannae score at the moment, too many mistakes, too much pissing about at the back and in midfield and no Scottie Alan passes to get the strikers through on goal.

So to the team

Rocky had nothing to do, he even got a hand to the very well taken goal Saintees scored.

I am convinced Paul McGinn does not like playing on the right side of a back three, he has gone to pieces since playing there. Ye cannae go from being our most consistent player to that bad without a reason. I felt he was poor again today.

Porto had a good game today, one mistake that I can remember.

Paul Hanlon had a very good game too, should have scored his header, but I have been saying that for 10 years.

Chris Cadden was marked tightly, Saints worked our game out early, it took us to after half time to change that.

Josh Doig should have booted it out at there goal, and was very closely marked by O'Halloran throughout but he was excellent.

Gogic was the best of the midfield three, he did his job.

Joe Newell was poor, looked disinterested and when he did get a good chance he managed to schlaff it wide.

Last few weeks I have been less impressed with Irvine, today he had half a dozen nice touches but most of the game he was reported missing. I felt it looked like he didnae ken where he was supposed to be playing.

Boyler got no service as a striker first half, and got little service as a winger second half. He is better through the middle.

Nissy got no service first half but looked much more dangerous when Doidge came on. I thought he had a good second half but service is an issue.

Subs

Doidge replaced Cadden after 55 minutes and offered a lot after taking ten minutes to get his first touch. Him and Nissy worked well and he should have scored after a good pass from Nisbet he hit it straight at the keeper.

Murphy for Irvine was a good swap, but let's be honest Murphy didnae offer much, again.

Hallberg replaced Joe with 10 to go. No reflection on Melker but it should have been Scottie coming on, he might have changed the game, Melker doesn't.

The Boss

I haven't heard an interview, but we cannae say to much, he played the team many of us suggested, he changed it when it wasn't working. He cannae magic the ball into the net, the players can and didnae.

St Johnstone

If we cannae beat them, do we deserve to get third this season? I don't think so.

The Referee, well I didnae fancy him, looked like the rookie he is.

I watched the game on Hooky TV today, it was perfect, better than Hibs Pass! I wish Cliff and Tam were more critical of the players sometimes. As someone suggested some chances were not unlucky, they was shite, say so. You know Tam thinks it with his heavy breathing.

Hibs Man of the Match

Weirdly we did have some good performances, Paul Hanlon, Ryan Porteous and Alex Gogic come to mind. However our best player was Josh Doig, his desire, effort, and ability shone through. Pity his shot hadn't gone in.

Next up is Ross County away next Saturday in our game in hand. Yogi will have us worked out so Jack better have something up his sleeve.

Hibernian Forever!

Didn’t see the game today but going by the reports on here it reads very grim reading. Worrying that once again our manager cannot come up with a plan to counter his opposite number. Even more worrying it won’t ever change with him as pointed out by the Sunderland fans.

Playing players out of their natural positions, not playing to the players strengths seems to be the same week in and week out. Going by the reports today we were murder in the first half but improved in the second, although didn’t get enough service to the strikers when he keeps the one player on the bench that could find our strikers with his creativity.

Said it last week Newell and Irvine cannot play in the same midfield, Irvine drops deeper which isn’t his game, play to our players strengths Ross FFS.

Big game away to Ross County, no doubt Yogi would have done his homework on us so for fuck sake Ross come up with something different eh.

I’d agree we did look good in that game to a point,but if that’s all you can recollect off the top of your head then wow !! We’re deffo euro contenders,come on for what ever reason things ain’t right dropping 28 points at home ? I think,how many other hibs managers would have survived that,we’re all football people,have you ever seen a hibs manager with such poor body language,non remonstrating and hands in pocket
If Jack Ross could wave his arms about a bit we'd probably be top of the league by now

If Jack Ross could wave his arms about a bit we'd probably be top of the league by now

Imagine he stuck a tracky on, champions league here we come.

Find it hard to believe Nisbet has downed tools or taken a huff. He's a pro, he's had a bereavement to get over. Also, he was knocking on the door of the Scotland team with a potentially juicy tie against Engerlund in the summer. Problem seems to be the service he gets.
Exactly. The guy isn't going to throw away a shot at the Euros & a good move in the summer- that makes no sense at all. However, I can imagine that football has lost its colour in the wake of his Dad's passing. He needs time & support. I also think he would've buried that 1-on-1 if Craig hadn't scythed him down but hey...

The problem as I see it is that we always concede the 1st goal these days. As soon as that happens we're up against counter attack football & we just don't have the nous to cut through it.

This thread has been viewed 7352 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back