Jimmy Reid & Kenneth Williams on Michael Parkinson 1973

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
Found this on YouTube. I thought it was absolutely fascinating for so many reasons.

Compare and contrast this chat show with the excellent Michael Parkinson to the bollocks we are subjected to these days.

Jimmy Reid speaks quite beautifully. Kenneth Williams was destroyed by him.... What a pity he didn't become an MP. @GORDONSMITH7 What did you think of him and his politics?

The audience participation and fashions something to enjoy!

Funnily enough I watched this on 28th December. A Hibs supporting mate in Ireland contacted me to give a heads up that a dramatization of William's life was on BBC4 . Following that I searched for the above video and watched it. I saw the original live at the time. Worth a watch.

Jimmy was a great Trade Union militant. His leading role in the Upper Clyde Shipbuilders strike and sit in was invaluable and inspirational.
Like so many he lost his way politically in my opinion moving to the right.
Communist Party, then to the Labour Party and finally the Scottish National Party. In fact he took the same route as Health Minister Jeane Freeman .

BIG G

Smurf

Funnily enough I watched this on 28th December. A Hibs supporting mate in Ireland contacted me to give a heads up that a dramatization of William's life was on BBC4 . Following that I searched for the above video and watched it. I saw the original live at the time. Worth a watch.

Jimmy was a great Trade Union militant. His leading role in the Upper Clyde Shipbuilders strike and sit in was invaluable and inspirational.
Like so many he lost his way politically in my opinion moving to the right.
Communist Party, then to the Labour Party and finally the Scottish National Party. In fact he took the same route as Health Minister Jeane Freeman .

BIG G
Can you imagine such a voice being given airtime like that today? This was broadcast only a few weeks after I was born. 48 years on we live in an ever increasing "Rat race" that Jimmy Reid talks about. 🤬

Can you imagine such a voice being given airtime like that today? This was broadcast only a few weeks after I was born. 48 years on we live in an ever increasing "Rat race" that Jimmy Reid talks about. 🤬

Certainly more open lively and interesting than the total pap masquerading as 'talk shows' from Frankie Boyle, Graham Norton, Jonathon Ross or Mrs fucking Brown.

You will possible not have noticed but the gobby 'School Headmaster' in the audience who got far to much time to speak, was Roades Boyson, who at the time of recording was the prospective Conservative candidate for Brent North, elected a few month's later in February 1974. This reactionary right winger will be remembered by older Bouncers as Parliamentary Under-Secretary at the Department of Education and Science 1979–1983. In his capacity he sought to uphold schools' right to use the cane, and was nicknamed the "Minister for Flogging" .
He was a vehement opponent of Homosexuality often quoting the Good Book as justification.

220px-Rhodes_Boyson (1).jpg

BIG G

Smurf

Certainly more open lively and interesting than the total pap masquerading as 'talk shows' from Frankie Boyle, Graham Norton, Jonathon Ross or Mrs fucking Brown.

You will possible not have noticed but the gobby 'School Headmaster' in the audience who got far to much time to speak, was Roades Boyson, who at the time of recording was the prospective Conservative candidate for Brent North, elected a few month's later in February 1974. This reactionary right winger will be remembered by older Bouncers as Parliamentary Under-Secretary at the Department of Education and Science 1979–1983. In his capacity he sought to uphold schools' right to use the cane, and was nicknamed the "Minister for Flogging" .
He was a vehement opponent of Homosexuality often quoting the Good Book as justification.

View attachment 4194

BIG G
I noticed him when he asked his question. Quite funny watching Jimmy Reid smoking fags throughout. Kenneth Williams disappointed me. Pretty lightweight debater.