It's a me, It's a Lennart

LenPa

New radge
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and to be honest I cannot say that I know a lot about the Hibs as a guy from Germany. But I am interested in football teams which are actively deal with the topic of sustainability - and that is also the reason why I became aware of the Hibs and started to inform myself about the team. I am looking forward to learn more about the fans and how you think about that approach.

And I am also looking for some help for a research project which is shortly described as how you as a fan perceive the the Hibs in general and how you think about their activities for sustainability (whether you like it or you dislike it). The survey below should take around 10 minutes and it would be great if you could spare the time to answer some questions. All entries are anonymous and the data will be treated confidentially. I would further be happy to share my findings with you if you are interested into the results. You can find the link here:
https://tummgmt.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6tbtYGUk6envyKy
I would further be happy to share the link somewhere in the forum.
Please feel free to ask me any question.
Len

moathibby

Legendary Radge
Got about half way through the questionairre and gave up.Sorry,I have never heard of Hibs sustainability campaign.

LenPa

New radge
Got about half way through the questionairre and gave up.Sorry,I have never heard of Hibs sustainability campaign.
Thank you for the feedback and the try. Isn't Hibs pizza famous for its taste across boarders?

To be honest that is really interesting to hear as there seem to be some differences between the positioning of the team and what the team does or at least what fans perceive (or hear/know about the activities for sustainability ). I mean I selected the Hibs as a team to study as they call themselves the 'greenest club in Scotland' and signed the 'sports for climate action framework' of the UN.

Nevertheless, if you have the time and haven't lost all your interest in the survey, I would ask you to finish filling it out - these are also interesting aspects for my research (of course that is absolutely up to you and I can understand your discomfort)!
The topic of food consumption further was chosen to get a better understanding if these general activities for sustainability or the communication of sustainable initiatives of the team have an influence on fans.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
I've completed the survey.

Maybe there's been a bit of language confusion over the word "team" as opposed to club. To me anyway the team are the players at the club. As elite athletes their diets are very specific and quite different from what clubs supporters would be expected to enjoy.

Hibs have undergone a change of ownership since the UN framework was signed up to. While the new owners have agreed to continue with this because of Covid the supporters have had little opportunity to see for themselves much of the impact of this on the club. Supporters haven't been in the stadium for well over a year. An example of this is the food and drink at the stadium was provided by outside contractors. This has now been brought in-house with the promise of healthier options being available.

I believe our training facility is carbon neutral and we are moving towards the stadium being carbon neutral too. Although I don't know if this relates only to energy usage or other things such as food.

LenPa

New radge
Many thanks Jack. I appreciate your feedback. That is a valid point. I had some discussions which native speakers who mentioned that the term team fits in the context of the study. But you are right that the survey is about the club and not the players. And if this leads to confusion I can rename that.

Yes, I looked that up and I am (partly) aware of the points you mentioned (also that they just declared themselves the "greenest club in Scotland" shortly before the Covid pandemic at the beginning of 2020 and). Still, I read somewhere that the club started to implement sustainable activities before and (at least) communicate the topic of sustainability more comprehensive to its fans in the past year (after signing the UN framework and stating that they are the greenest club in Scotland).

Would you recommend me to wait with the survey till the next season starts (when fans are allowed to attend games again and to see if something changed)?

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Many thanks Jack. I appreciate your feedback. That is a valid point. I had some discussions which native speakers who mentioned that the term team fits in the context of the study. But you are right that the survey is about the club and not the players. And if this leads to confusion I can rename that.

Yes, I looked that up and I am (partly) aware of the points you mentioned (also that they just declared themselves the "greenest club in Scotland" shortly before the Covid pandemic at the beginning of 2020 and). Still, I read somewhere that the club started to implement sustainable activities before and (at least) communicate the topic of sustainability more comprehensive to its fans in the past year (after signing the UN framework and stating that they are the greenest club in Scotland).

Would you recommend me to wait with the survey till the next season starts (when fans are allowed to attend games again and to see if something changed)?
I personally think the road to a greener world will be a long one, certainly here in the UK.

I had a German girlfriend back in the 1990s for a few years while she studied in Edinburgh. She wanted to recycle waste when she was here but there were no facilities to do so, Germany was taking it seriously even then. Now, as Germany spends millions (€/£) on technology to deal with recycling in the UK local authorities pay little more than lip service and too many of the public don't know their recycling bin from their landwaste!

I doubt many over here have considered the carbon footprint of a strawberry produced locally or flown in from Spain or for a banana brought over by ship. Its still just a strawberry or banana!

Hibs are and always have been a club with an eye on the future. As a community club I'm sure Hibs will lead by example in making our community as green as possible.

A survey a little into the season may give a good base to start from.

Good luck.

Last edited:

LenPa

New radge
Jack, thanks once again for your response.

That is true. I think that football clubs can be a great source to communicate sustainable topics as many people feel highly attached to them - which is also the reason why I came up with the survey. ;)

This is interesting to hear. I was reading a little bit about sustainability related topics (like recycling) in the UK in advance but I wasn't aware that it was hardly an issue in the end.
And yeah, we Germans are at least called world champions at recycling (even if you do not know hat happens which your recycled waste). ;)

Yes, I think so too. I would even say that this also accounts for most people not just in the UK but everywhere (or they do not care about it). Aligned with your point regarding Hibs as a future oriented club it would be interesting if the club can maybe sensitise fans in the future. I am looking forward to it!

Thanks a lot.
Lennart

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here