• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Is goalie most important position?

Hibees-Mad

Mad Hibees Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Seeing the gunts lucked another 3 points today, and I'm led to believe its squarely because of Gordon. I cannae stand the spotty lanky prick but there is no doubt he's the best keeper in the country. Which brought me on to my question.

Is there a more important position in the game? Sort out keeper and you have a solid base for your side, and will save you many many points you maybe wouldn't have got without him.

A goalie and a great finisher and you're on your way maybe?

Thoughts?

Seeing the gunts lucked another 3 points today, and I'm led to believe its squarely because of Gordon. I cannae stand the spotty lanky prick but there is no doubt he's the best keeper in the country. Which brought me on to my question.

Is there a more important position in the game? Sort out keeper and you have a solid base for your side, and will save you many many points you maybe wouldn't have got without him.

Thoughts?

I think it’s a combination of having a good goalkeeper and a good goalscorer, that will get you pretty far in Scottish football.

Hearts seem to have that this season, McInnes’ Aberdeen teams were similar. Back in the day Leighton and Jackson more or less kept us up longer than we probably should have.

Thoughts?

I think you only need to look at Rocky V Macey for your answer.

Last edited:
Gordon has been worth what about 8 to 9 points for Hearts this season already ?
A top class goalkeeper is like gold dust. It can win or lose you a league as Tommy Burns found out when his fabulously exciting Celtic team lost the league to the huns back in the day...mainly because of a certain Mr Goram.
If I was a manager of a scottish club I would spend any money available on a top class keeper, at least one proven goalscorer, and an experienced leader in midfield.

Gordon has been worth what about 8 to 9 points for Hearts this season already ?
A top class goalkeeper is like gold dust. It can win or lose you a league as Tommy Burns found out when his fabulously exciting Celtic team lost the league to the huns back in the day...mainly because of a certain Mr Goram.
If I was a manager of a scottish club I would spend any money available on a top class keeper, at least one proven goalscorer, and an experienced leader in midfield.
We were spoiled for years when I grew up watching Hibs, from Rough, to Leighton, Goram etc. Went off the rails for a few years, with some of, some not, but Rocky got us back in that v. good goalie groove.

I don't have anything against Macey at all. I wish him well, and hope he does well - I just wish we had better.

Ffs - I wish we had someone of Gordons ability.

It is important.

However, let's not kid ourselves that Gordon was a clever investment by Hearts or a bit of recruitment genius by their backroom staff. An international quality ex-player came back to them on a free because Celtic were stupid enough to let him go. It'd be like us picking up Steven Fletcher on a free if Stoke suddenly decided he was surplus to requirements.

I still don't think it's Macey that's costing us points either. He's fine. Not the best we've ever had but not bad either. It's a lack of goals that's costing us. Celtic and Dundee Utd are the only teams that have beaten us by more than a goal.

We must, MUST bring in a striker and a centre back in Jan. If we spunked megabucks on a goalie when we have three on the books I'd be raging.

Last edited:
It is important.

However, let's not kid ourselves that Gordon was a clever investment by Hearts or a bit of recruitment genius by their backroom staff. An international quality ex-player came back to them on a free because Celtic were stupid enough to let him go. It'd be like us picking up Steven Fletcher on a free if Stoke suddenly decided he was surplus to requirements.

I still don't think it's Macey that's costing us points either. He's fine. Not the best we've ever had but not bad either. It's a lack of goals that's costing us. Celtic and Dundee Utd are the only teams that have beaten us by more than a goal.

We must, MUST bring in a striker and a centre back in Jan. If we spunked megabucks on a goalie when we have three on the books I'd be raging.
Good post, puts some perspective on the Macey pile-on.

It is important.

I don’t think Macey is costing us points directly. However he’s saved us any either. He’s just a very average goalkeeper, which isn’t enough if we want to be higher up in the league.

It is important.

I think there’s a lot of truth in this, you can’t ignore that we have very little goals in our team.

Doidge, Boyle, Nisbet and Magennis are regular but Doidge and Nisbet are unlikely to start together.

Look at the defence snd midfield, and they are not chipping in. That needs addressed as much as what we are conceding at the other end.

Without a goalie the other players would be able to put the ball into the net willy nilly.

Without a goalie the other players would be able to put the ball into the net willy nilly.
Not unless you put a bank of players along the goaline which would spoil the game IMO.

Hugely important. A good keeper is vital.

But for me its about a teams' SPINE. Break the bank for your keeper, a CH, CM and striker. Thats the base. Of any team. Then add accordingly.

Hugely important. A good keeper is vital.

But for me its about a teams' SPINE. Break the bank for your keeper, a CH, CM and striker. Thats the base. Of any team. Then add accordingly.
I think you're absolutely spot on. And a solid if unspectacular spine would maybe even be more effective than a star player (in most positions). The gunts team of the 80s that nearly won the league had just that. No absolute class players, but very good, reliable players that formed the spine.

I guess all the best defences over the years have had great centre half/goalkeeper partnerships that trusted eachother implicitly. That's hard to get these days

This thread has been viewed 692 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back