• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Graeme Mathie

Ian Gordon was instrumental in the Charleston Battery link-up and the Chris Mueller deal.
He must be good at what he does,....I don't buy into this "well it's Ron's son so get's a top job at the club" way of thinking. It remains to be seen whether or not this significant change in the running of the club becomes successful.

Reading between the lines it looks like Ross and Mathie just couldn't work together.

I agree, don’t get the impression that Ron Gordon is a jobs for the boys type. If his son is employed, it’s to do a good job.

Ian Gordon was instrumental in the Charleston Battery link-up and the Chris Mueller deal.
He must be good at what he does,....I don't buy into this "well it's Ron's son so get's a top job at the club" way of thinking. It remains to be seen whether or not this significant change in the running of the club becomes successful.

Reading between the lines it looks like Ross and Mathie just couldn't work together.

I'd agree with this.

I think having him in charge might see us be more proactive in our business.
The other article mentioned that CEO Ben will be involved alot in the transfer dealings working with Jack.

I'm keen to see how we get on.
Don't think there will be a great amount of business in January, but next summer will be interesting.

Reactions: Zab
I'd agree with this.

The other article mentioned that CEO Ben will be involved alot in the transfer dealings working with Jack.

Don't think there will be a great amount of business in January, but next summer will be interesting.

I think it’ll depend where we’re at in January. Third has to be the target again, so we may need to strengthen to achieve that (in addition to Mueller).

Either way I hope it works and we actually get deals done.

I'd agree with this.

I think there will be quite a bit of transfer business in January.

I think there will be quite a bit of transfer business in January.

I think we'll do some, but unless players leave I'm not sure we'll do a lot of business.

I reckon we might end both loan deals and replace them with a permanent signing. Mueller will obviously come in, but outside of that unless we're struggling I don't think we'll do too much more.

Reckon we will do some pre-contract deals though.

I think we'll do some, but unless players leave I'm not sure we'll do a lot of business.

I reckon we might end both loan deals and replace them with a permanent signing. Mueller will obviously come in, but outside of that unless we're struggling I don't think we'll do too much more.

Reckon we will do some pre-contract deals though.

Diasgree a wee bit, Ron was clearly unhappy more business didn’t happen in the summer so that suggests to me he’ll want to see more activity this window.

Scott might get sent back unless he makes an impact, but Mueller will only replace him so still need to strengthen that attacking area IMO.

Diasgree a wee bit, Ron was clearly unhappy more business didn’t happen in the summer so that suggests to me he’ll want to see more activity this window.

Scott might get sent back unless he makes an impact, but Mueller will only replace him so still need to strengthen that attacking area IMO.

Aye thats what I was meaning, a replacement for Scott plus Mueller.

But I dont think there will be major business, I think most of it will be targeted for the summer.

I'd like to see business though, certainly wouldn't turn down the chance to see a bigger squad.

Reactions: Zab
Where in the directory is the spin doctor guy Forsyth that quite a few people on here detest?

He is a skidmark on the boardroom carpet.

Until we see some tangible success in dealing with the American market, the jury is out. As far as I can see whilst America produces a lot of soccer players, their system is hopeless at producing elite ones, or certainly ones good enough to play in Europe.

Aye thats what I was meaning, a replacement for Scott plus Mueller.

But I dont think there will be major business, I think most of it will be targeted for the summer.

I'd like to see business though, certainly wouldn't turn down the chance to see a bigger squad.
I think we will see an offer going in for Dion Charles for one thing. McGrath i'm sure will be a target again, and the lad from Raith Rovers will also be arriving. Jamie McCart will still be on the wanted list as well, and St Johnstone have to make the choice of whether they will accept what Hibs are offering or see him leave for nothing next summer. Mueller will also be arriving, and unless Scott picks up and starts to show a lot more I can see him going back south, same with Nathan Wood although he has the next two games to show us what he can do.

You could be right, I’d like to understand better how Mathie was the problem in the deals not getting done.

Until we see some tangible success in dealing with the American market, the jury is out. As far as I can see whilst America produces a lot of soccer players, their system is hopeless at producing elite ones, or certainly ones good enough to play in Europe.

There are a fair few players playing in the German top flight.
Granted none are "elite level" but either are we. Pulisic was a good player for Dortmund before getting his Chelsea move. Although Dortmund brought him through their youth system.

I think American imports are starting to rise in Europe. Won't be long til there are more.

Although bringing players here won't be easy due to Brexit and the rules around permits.

I don't think we will be looking primarily at American players, in fact I doubt we will be looking at any at all, unless a good one becomes available like Mueller...He was a bit of an exception as we were in a position to get (hopefully !) a talented front man at the club through Ian and Ron's contacts. Ian Gordon will be heading up the recruitment department, but that department will consist of several scouts and no doubt still be focussed mainly on scottish and UK players. Brexit means it will be very difficult to recruit from Europe now and get in players who are good enough to play for Hibs, so with that in mind we have to expand the range of our search. There will be scouts working at the club looking at players everywhere, but mainly I would think still in Scotland.

I think we will see an offer going in for Dion Charles for one thing. McGrath i'm sure will be a target again, and the lad from Raith Rovers will also be arriving. Jamie McCart will still be on the wanted list as well, and St Johnstone have to make the choice of whether they will accept what Hibs are offering or see him leave for nothing next summer. Mueller will also be arriving, and unless Scott picks up and starts to show a lot more I can see him going back south, same with Nathan Wood although he has the next two games to show us what he can do.

That's pretty much the same amount of business I guessed at though to be fair.

Mueller and Tait were both done in the summer so can't be included as January business.

You could be right, I’d like to understand better how Mathie was the problem in the deals not getting done.
Nobody knows, but there has clearly been problems with the whole structure with recruitment and dealing with players agents which has not been working, hence this action being taken by the club. Something was not working right and IMO when something is not working, you change it. It's when organisations make changes to things that are working that I can never get my head around.

We didn't get the players in during the summer that the manager wanted and needed, that's the sum total of it, and Mathie was in charge of that side of the business. In fairness to GM, he was at the club for seven years and we managed to secure many excellent players during that time, so that leads me to think that something has gone wrong over the last year or so. Moira Gordon said in her article that the writing was on the wall for Mathie as long ago as last Winter's transfer window. The announcement of all the changes is going to be made this week so hopefully then things will become a bit clearer.

I am happy if they have knocked one wage bill off which wasn't bearing fruit. I think we will bring a few in during January but might be loan signings

So would I as my impression is we needed to get players out before any were coming in.

It didn't seem like there was a chunk of untouched budget that we just didn't use. I was frustrated with the last window too but not to the extent where I thought we should tear up a structure that had served us reasonably well in having a decent success rate with the players we did sign. Increasingly I feel like Mathie's position was already tenuous and he wasn't exactly 'supported' in bringing in the targets we wanted. We approached most of them in plenty time, it was the financials in most cases that saw us fail was my understanding.

So would I as my impression is we needed to get players out before any were coming in.

It didn't seem like there was a chunk of untouched budget that we just didn't use. I was frustrated with the last window too but not to the extent where I thought we should tear up a structure that had served us reasonably well in having a decent success rate with the players we did sign. Increasingly I feel like Mathie's position was already tenuous and he wasn't exactly 'supported' in bringing in the targets we wanted. We approached most of them in plenty time, it was the financials in most cases that saw us fail was my understanding.
Quite a lot of truth in that. I don't think it was purely the fact that we missed out on a couple of players a few weeks ago which has led to the changes we are about to see announced, as the EEN article suggests, this has came about after a strategic review by Ron Gordon of the whole recruitment and scouting operation after the staffing cuts we have had to make as a result of the Covid-10 pandemic. He will argue he is basically streamlining the business in order for the club to go forwards in a more efficient way, and losing the post of Sporting Director is one of those changes he feels needs to be done.

I'm not saying they are right to make the changes they are making, time will tell if they are the right moves, but as I said, I do think there has been problems over the last year or so with recruitment of players which is an essential part of progressing as a major football club, and we do need to do something to fix these problems.

I thought the model of a Director of Football working with a Head Coach was meant to bring a measure of stability, so that Head Coaches inevitably come and go but it doesn't entail wholesale changes in playing personnel every time a new coach comes in. Something we have suffered a lot from in the past I think. The Director of Football provides the players and the Coach coaches them. The new set up seems to be a different approach. Say a load of players are signed on Jack Ross's advice, then Ross leaves, and the new Coach coming in doesn't like them, what happens then?

I thought the model of a Director of Football working with a Head Coach was meant to bring a measure of stability, so that Head Coaches inevitably come and go but it doesn't entail wholesale changes in playing personnel every time a new coach comes in. Something we have suffered a lot from in the past I think. The Director of Football provides the players and the Coach coaches them. The new set up seems to be a different approach. Say a load of players are signed on Jack Ross's advice, then Ross leaves, and the new Coach coming in doesn't like them, what happens then?

The same thing can happen with players signed on a director of footballs advice.
Manager leaves and the new guy doesn't like them.

Who was in the seat while Paul Heckinbottom was here?
We've not had a stable model for signing players now I look back.

Stubbs had a good system, seemed like those players were club signings with a proper blueprint in place for what a Hibs player should be.
Lennon definitely got to sign his own players.
Heckingbottom looks like he got his own players
Jack has only been able to sign players from St Mirren.

There's a thing called England DNA (worth looking up) which in broad terms sets out how England representative teams will play, be coached etc etc. All England age group teams and coaches right through to Gareth Southgate are expected to follow this. Was there not something similar at Hibs, possibly developed by Dempster/Craig/Mathie when they came in, around about 2014?

There's a thing called England DNA (worth looking up) which in broad terms sets out how England representative teams will play, be coached etc etc. All England age group teams and coaches right through to Gareth Southgate are expected to follow this. Was there not something similar at Hibs, possibly developed by Dempster/Craig/Mathie when they came in, around about 2014?

There was talk of it, not sure it ever really transpired. There was also talk of having two players per position and an academy player as third choice, which has certainly never happened. To be fair back them there were bigger issues at the club to deal with.

It’s good in theory and something to be aimed at, but the reality of it is very different and difficult to implement.

it certainly isn't Mathie's fault if the club match the asking price for a player but can't agree personal terms because another team has offered much higher wages.......

I’m absolutely convinced that the manager has always had the final say on every single senior player signed fwiw.

reading that back, it might be the obvious conclusion that where Ross and Mathie disagreed was on the non senior players.

this could get really interesting because Americans are pretty clueless at developing soccer players into elite players. We seem to be changing tact on several levels, and rightly so, but my niggling concern is we make things worse and end up ever more reliant on external signings. That is only one management appointment away from our destroying all the progress made since 2014.

I’m absolutely convinced that the manager has always had the final say on every single senior player signed fwiw.

reading that back, it might be the obvious conclusion that where Ross and Mathie disagreed was on the non senior players.

this could get really interesting because Americans are pretty clueless at developing soccer players into elite players. We seem to be changing tact on several levels, and rightly so, but my niggling concern is we make things worse and end up ever more reliant on external signings. That is only one management appointment away from our destroying all the progress made since 2014.

Whatever we’re doing now in terms of youth development doesn’t work. We’re nowhere close to producing enough first team quality players.

I can’t think who the last player to come through our academy and be sold for over a million pound would be… Steven Fletcher maybe? Meanwhile Ryan Porteous is the only player in the last decade to come through the academy and go on to make 100 first team appearances.

If there’s one thing Americans are good at its developing athletes, my biggest issue with our youth players is they never look physically able to handle senior football. Most of them appear to have next to no power or athleticism about them, which is ultimately why they don’t break into the team IMO.

If there’s one thing Americans are good at its developing athletes, my biggest issue with our youth players is they never look physically able to handle senior football. Most of them appear to have next to no power or athleticism about them, which is ultimately why they don’t break into the team IMO.

I was shown round East Mains just a wee while before Hecky got the bullet.
The young lads training there were feckin monsters. Big brawny lads.

That was seen as a priority at that time, physical development up there with skill.

I was shown round East Mains just a wee while before Hecky got the bullet.
The young lads training there were feckin monsters. Big brawny lads.

That was seen as a priority at that time, physical development up there with skill.

That’s good to hear, hopefully we’ll see some of these lads break through.

I'm going to guess that JR was pissed at ending up with James Scott as his only cover up front. Probably not a target, or player he wanted or needed.

Whatever we’re doing now in terms of youth development doesn’t work. We’re nowhere close to producing enough first team quality players.

I can’t think who the last player to come through our academy and be sold for over a million pound would be… Steven Fletcher maybe? Meanwhile Ryan Porteous is the only player in the last decade to come through the academy and go on to make 100 first team appearances.

I’ve only seen josh O’Connor in the flesh once , that was v strollers and IMO he looks bod enough to go into the first team now.

Given the position seems to no longer exist how will player recruitment work? What will the structure be?

I’m watching nfl redzone right now, and I’m struck by how much more clarity there is in those organisations. This guy does the draft. It was bad. He’s fired/not fired.

Maybe I’m just ignorant of our processes but the whole method by which we sign players seems quite opaque to me.

Given the position seems to no longer exist how will player recruitment work? What will the structure be?

I’m watching nfl redzone right now, and I’m struck by how much more clarity there is in those organisations. This guy does the draft. It was bad. He’s fired/not fired.

Maybe I’m just ignorant of our processes but the whole method by which we sign players seems quite opaque to me.
NFL is manufactured pish though. Recruitment in all normal walks of life is pretty opaque with all manner of shenanigans going on.

I don't think we will be looking primarily at American players, in fact I doubt we will be looking at any at all, unless a good one becomes available like Mueller...He was a bit of an exception as we were in a position to get (hopefully !) a talented front man at the club through Ian and Ron's contacts. Ian Gordon will be heading up the recruitment department, but that department will consist of several scouts and no doubt still be focussed mainly on scottish and UK players. Brexit means it will be very difficult to recruit from Europe now and get in players who are good enough to play for Hibs, so with that in mind we have to expand the range of our search. There will be scouts working at the club looking at players everywhere, but mainly I would think still in Scotland.
Haven’t we already said we are looking at finding more Czech players (and that probably means all those countries in that part of Europe that consistently produce quality teams)?

NFL is manufactured pish though. Recruitment in all normal walks of life is pretty opaque with all manner of shenanigans going on.

Whereas the Scottish Premiership is a faultless expression of the purest Corinthian sporting ideals :sm113:

I'm not talking about the process of getting the employees, which is bound to be secretive, but the responsibility within organisations for how that's done. It's generally not opaque at all in terms of whose remit it falls under.

Maybe , but it’s a level playing field , without one or two “richer “ 😩 clubs having an advantage and allowed to cheat their way to success 🤷‍♂️

Maybe , but it’s a level playing field , without one or two “richer “ 😩 clubs having an advantage and allowed to cheat their way to success 🤷‍♂️
It's lasts all day though

It's lasts all day though
First four hours is just drinking though 😀

First four hours is just drinking though 😀
Not very professional

Not very professional
It's American Budweiser, that's basically a hydration drink

The Czech connection lasted long

This thread has been viewed 13159 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back