• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Graeme Mathie

Maybe there will be another “he has not resigned and has not been sacked” Lennon style announcement!

Or maybe he would like to go back to his old role?

Or maybe he would like to go back to his old role?

That wouldn’t be a bad outcome for all really. Identifying the players and concluding the deals for them is two very different skill sets.

I think the CEO should be responsible for negotiation and concluding transfer dealings. Peter Lawell did it at Celtc. See no reason why our CEO can't do it.

Reactions: Zab
I think the CEO should be responsible for negotiation and concluding transfer dealings. Peter Lawell did it at Celtc. See no reason why our CEO can't do it.

I'm not so sure.
Someone with a background in scouting seems to make sense to me. Someone that understands a players level and potential growth to understand where they fall on a pay scale.

I agree. If the CEO trusts the director of football (or whatever title they have) to identify the players along with the manager, it makes sense that the CEO negotiates. They don’t need to seek authority from anyone if they have to pay a little more to make the deal happen.

I'm not so sure.
Someone with a background in scouting seems to make sense to me. Someone that understands a players level and potential growth to understand where they fall on a pay scale.

I don’t think that means they are right person to negotiation fees with clubs and contracts with agents. Play identification and business negations are very different skill sets.

I'm not so sure.
I would imagine the CEO would take advice from the manager and staff as to the present/ future valuation of a player to the squad and the club and then use his negotiating experience to close the deal.

I agree. If the CEO trusts the director of football (or whatever title they have) to identify the players along with the manager, it makes sense that the CEO negotiates. They don’t need to seek authority from anyone if they have to pay a little more to make the deal happen.

I don’t think that means they are right person to negotiation fees with clubs and contracts with agents. Play identification and business negations are very different skill sets.

A standard scout, I agree.
But if they've moved up the ladder to DoF role or something similar, then they should have some negotiating and business nous imo.

I'll bet the CEO and Ron are seething that this was leaked. Regardless of what's happening with Mathie its not been handled well at all imo. Very messy and is dragging on.

A standard scout, I agree.
But if they've moved up the ladder to DoF role or something similar, then they should have some negotiating and business nous imo.

I agree they should, but I suppose it will greatly differ from club to club. Man City are very much invested in the Director of Football model and have someone who handles the deals, yet at Man Utd the Chief Executive is still involved.

Ultimately depends on what the remit for the job is. I’d say, purely from the outside looking in, that Mathie is better at identifying players than doing the deals. To be fair to Mathie, he took on George Craig’s duties and retained his own, probably too big a role for one person.

This.

Identification of targets and even initial conversations are one thing. The nitty gritty of a contract or a package for a transfer should be at CEO level.

Rod did it....

Reactions: Zab
20210922_150841.jpg

I like Tam but he's a wee bit all over the place. On the night the window closed I was moaning on Twitter about us not signing a striker. He told me to stop moaning. A few days later he's in his rag saying our transfer window was shambolic...

Surely when he’s employed by the club on match days he shouldn’t be writing in rags before any official confirmation from the club….if he still is employed by the club on match days, no sure now we are allowed back in to watch games?

I like Tam but he's a wee bit all over the place. On the night the window closed I was moaning on Twitter about us not signing a striker. He told me to stop moaning. A few days later he's in his rag saying our transfer window was shambolic...

I think he agrees with you about the lack of a striker. He was just pointing out that you're a moaning cant.
:gigglle:

I think he agrees with you about the lack of a striker. He was just pointing out that you're a moaning cant.
ENTIRELY true. ☺️

1st thing Tam has got correct lol

Plays to an audience i think. No thought of his own.

Surely when he’s employed by the club on match days he shouldn’t be writing in rags before any official confirmation from the club….if he still is employed by the club on match days, no sure now we are allowed back in to watch games?

Fair point that. No official news of Mathies departure but there he is giving an inside scoop.

Maybe he got an inside scoop as an employee of the club, the club using friendly journalists to get their narrative out there.

Story from the Scotsman.

Fair point that. No official news of Mathies departure but there he is giving an inside scoop.

Here's the relevant bit from Ron.

"With sporting director Graeme Mathie told he can officially move on as soon as a settlement package can be agreed, the club are exploring the right model for pressing forward."

Here's the relevant bit from Ron.

"With sporting director Graeme Mathie told he can officially move on as soon as a settlement package can be agreed, the club are exploring the right model for pressing forward."

A "model" you say :6:

Mathie's departure now confirmed on the official site.

Sorry to see that, Graeme was one of the group who brought Hibs back from the brink after the mismanagement from Petrie, Butcher and that group of fuds.

Sorry to see that, Graeme was one of the group who brought Hibs back from the brink after the mismanagement from Petrie, Butcher and that group of fuds.

And now we move on to the next chapter and the people who will take us to the next level 🤞🤞😬

Best wishes Graeme Mathie.

Story from the Scotsman.
Those seem to me to be the comments of a seriously unhappy man.

Aye, well, there are big changes happening; let's hope Mr Gordon gets them right. :sm113:

I think he's right to be.

I think the first thing to say about Graeme Mathie - who seems to be the fall guy - is that he worked successfully at Hibs for a number for years, and overseen many successful signings. Some not so successful ones too, but that's transfers.

What was very different - to me - is that back then, prior to RG, there was a collective responsibility, everyone had each others back.

It seems to me that Jack Ross won't be shedding any tears over Mathie's departure. That happens in professional relationships, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the replacement will work any better. Another factor is that Hibs may change the structure, so it won't be a like for like replacement. Ross's head might be turned in the next spell, he might not be here in a year, and if we've allowed personal issues to drive how we fashion our football department, I think we will regret that.

The article, doesn't really saying anything to me - other than trashing Graeme Mathie by implication when he isn't it a position to fight back. Hibs was never like that, and that concerns me. Viz the point about people having each others back.

I think RG comes across as naive with regards to transfers. "We need to learn and not leave everything to the last minute". Let's see how that works out, and I hope he has deep pockets. There's nothing really there to see how we will do things better going forward. I hope RG is successful, and he does improve things.

"Advancing the plan to bring down the average age of the squad" - I think gives a clear indication that RG intends to increase "income" from players sales. Invest in sellable players. Putting 2 and 2 together with the furore over the failure to sell Josh Doig, I think we may say what the future holds for Hibs. Not necessarily bad either - as long as there is a succession plan for leaving players.

"it's a question right now of what we want to do with...the academy" - that will be interesting, because to me there's a gaping hole in Hibs structure with progression of youngsters. I can't see that will improve in the short term, certainly not this season.

It’s good if he’s unhappy 👍

I think the first thing to say about Graeme Mathie - who seems to be the fall guy - is that he worked successfully at Hibs for a number for years, and overseen many successful signings. Some not so successful ones too, but that's transfers.

What was very different - to me - is that back then, prior to RG, there was a collective responsibility, everyone had each others back.

It seems to me that Jack Ross won't be shedding any tears over Mathie's departure. That happens in professional relationships, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the replacement will work any better. Another factor is that Hibs may change the structure, so it won't be a like for like replacement. Ross's head might be turned in the next spell, he might not be here in a year, and if we've allowed personal issues to drive how we fashion our football department, I think we will regret that.

The article, doesn't really saying anything to me - other than trashing Graeme Mathie by implication when he isn't it a position to fight back. Hibs was never like that, and that concerns me. Viz the point about people having each others back.

I think RG comes across as naive with regards to transfers. "We need to learn and not leave everything to the last minute". Let's see how that works out, and I hope he has deep pockets. There's nothing really there to see how we will do things better going forward. I hope RG is successful, and he does improve things.

"Advancing the plan to bring down the average age of the squad" - I think gives a clear indication that RG intends to increase "income" from players sales. Invest in sellable players. Putting 2 and 2 together with the furore over the failure to sell Josh Doig, I think we may say what the future holds for Hibs. Not necessarily bad either - as long as there is a succession plan for leaving players.

"it's a question right now of what we want to do with...the academy" - that will be interesting, because to me there's a gaping hole in Hibs structure with progression of youngsters. I can't see that will improve in the short term, certainly not this season.
Good points 👏👍

I like that. It shows he cares about the direction of the club and won't put up with incompetence.

According to Moira Gordon in todays EEN: I've have taken much of the following directly from that report, i'm not able to copy direct.

Graham Mathie will not be replaced, as his former position of Sporting Director has been seen as surplus to requirements after a review of the structure of the management of the club. Instead, Ben Kensell will work closely with Jack Ross on first team matters (presumably on transfer negotiations), and a new Academy Director is about to be appointed who will oversee the running of the youth and development sector of the football department.

According to the report, the "writing was on the wall" for Mathie prior to the Winter transfer window last year, but the club's failure to land some of the manager's key targets this summer validated the decision in the minds of several club figures, and cemented the desire to go ahead with the structural shake-up. The period when Mathie took on the role as Interim Head of Academy when the Covid-19 pandemic led to stripped back staffing levels, has been used by Ron Gordon to reassess what was needed to move the club forward.

The new streamlined structure is due to be announced next week and makes the best use of the strong working relationship that has developed between Ross and Kensell, who has years of experience handling contractual matters and negotiating with clubs and agents. It is hoped the pared back structure will also allow for more agile working practises and decision making.

Last edited:
A couple of other interesting points...

According to the Club Directory Ian Gordon (Ron's son) is now Head of Recruitment.

Ben Jacobs is no longer Head of Communications, it's someone called Adam Tomlinson. Ben only got appointed to that role in June from what I can recall ?...might be wrong though.

Last edited:
A couple of other interesting points...

According to the Club Directory Ian Gordon (Ron's son) is now Head of Recruitment.

Ben Jacobs is no longer Head of Communications, it's someone called Adam Tomlinson. Ben only got appointed to that role in June from what I can recall ?...might be wrong though.

Think adam is the guy who does the pitchside updates on instagram on matchdays, Ben was the gadgie who hosted the hibees buzz……I think

Time will tell if these changes markedly improve our recruitment. I'll be honest I think Mathie was going regardless by the sounds of it, the changes were going to happen no matter the circumstances of the last window.

My feeling is until we are in a position to significantly increase our budget we won't see any real progress.

Where in the directory is the spin doctor guy Forsyth that quite a few people on here detest?

Ian Gordon was instrumental in the Charleston Battery link-up and the Chris Mueller deal.
He must be good at what he does,....I don't buy into this "well it's Ron's son so get's a top job at the club" way of thinking. It remains to be seen whether or not this significant change in the running of the club becomes successful.

Reading between the lines it looks like Ross and Mathie just couldn't work together.

This thread has been viewed 13160 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back