Graeme Mathie

SUPPORT THE SITE!
October Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £35.00

MeanwoodHibee

Just A Radge
There's a thing called England DNA (worth looking up) which in broad terms sets out how England representative teams will play, be coached etc etc. All England age group teams and coaches right through to Gareth Southgate are expected to follow this. Was there not something similar at Hibs, possibly developed by Dempster/Craig/Mathie when they came in, around about 2014?

Zab

Admin
There's a thing called England DNA (worth looking up) which in broad terms sets out how England representative teams will play, be coached etc etc. All England age group teams and coaches right through to Gareth Southgate are expected to follow this. Was there not something similar at Hibs, possibly developed by Dempster/Craig/Mathie when they came in, around about 2014?

There was talk of it, not sure it ever really transpired. There was also talk of having two players per position and an academy player as third choice, which has certainly never happened. To be fair back them there were bigger issues at the club to deal with.

It’s good in theory and something to be aimed at, but the reality of it is very different and difficult to implement.

Pistol1981....

Just A Radge
it certainly isn't Mathie's fault if the club match the asking price for a player but can't agree personal terms because another team has offered much higher wages.......

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
I’m absolutely convinced that the manager has always had the final say on every single senior player signed fwiw.

reading that back, it might be the obvious conclusion that where Ross and Mathie disagreed was on the non senior players.

this could get really interesting because Americans are pretty clueless at developing soccer players into elite players. We seem to be changing tact on several levels, and rightly so, but my niggling concern is we make things worse and end up ever more reliant on external signings. That is only one management appointment away from our destroying all the progress made since 2014.

Zab

Admin
I’m absolutely convinced that the manager has always had the final say on every single senior player signed fwiw.

reading that back, it might be the obvious conclusion that where Ross and Mathie disagreed was on the non senior players.

this could get really interesting because Americans are pretty clueless at developing soccer players into elite players. We seem to be changing tact on several levels, and rightly so, but my niggling concern is we make things worse and end up ever more reliant on external signings. That is only one management appointment away from our destroying all the progress made since 2014.

Whatever we’re doing now in terms of youth development doesn’t work. We’re nowhere close to producing enough first team quality players.

I can’t think who the last player to come through our academy and be sold for over a million pound would be… Steven Fletcher maybe? Meanwhile Ryan Porteous is the only player in the last decade to come through the academy and go on to make 100 first team appearances.

If there’s one thing Americans are good at its developing athletes, my biggest issue with our youth players is they never look physically able to handle senior football. Most of them appear to have next to no power or athleticism about them, which is ultimately why they don’t break into the team IMO.

Doc Shrink

Retired Radge
If there’s one thing Americans are good at its developing athletes, my biggest issue with our youth players is they never look physically able to handle senior football. Most of them appear to have next to no power or athleticism about them, which is ultimately why they don’t break into the team IMO.

I was shown round East Mains just a wee while before Hecky got the bullet.
The young lads training there were feckin monsters. Big brawny lads.

That was seen as a priority at that time, physical development up there with skill.

Zab

Admin
I was shown round East Mains just a wee while before Hecky got the bullet.
The young lads training there were feckin monsters. Big brawny lads.

That was seen as a priority at that time, physical development up there with skill.

That’s good to hear, hopefully we’ll see some of these lads break through.

SuperTortolano

Legendary Radge
I'm going to guess that JR was pissed at ending up with James Scott as his only cover up front. Probably not a target, or player he wanted or needed.

eckmf

I'm a Radge Donator
Whatever we’re doing now in terms of youth development doesn’t work. We’re nowhere close to producing enough first team quality players.

I can’t think who the last player to come through our academy and be sold for over a million pound would be… Steven Fletcher maybe? Meanwhile Ryan Porteous is the only player in the last decade to come through the academy and go on to make 100 first team appearances.

I’ve only seen josh O’Connor in the flesh once , that was v strollers and IMO he looks bod enough to go into the first team now.

HenryLB

Donator
Given the position seems to no longer exist how will player recruitment work? What will the structure be?

I’m watching nfl redzone right now, and I’m struck by how much more clarity there is in those organisations. This guy does the draft. It was bad. He’s fired/not fired.

Maybe I’m just ignorant of our processes but the whole method by which we sign players seems quite opaque to me.

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
Given the position seems to no longer exist how will player recruitment work? What will the structure be?

I’m watching nfl redzone right now, and I’m struck by how much more clarity there is in those organisations. This guy does the draft. It was bad. He’s fired/not fired.

Maybe I’m just ignorant of our processes but the whole method by which we sign players seems quite opaque to me.
NFL is manufactured pish though. Recruitment in all normal walks of life is pretty opaque with all manner of shenanigans going on.

Bofahibee

Well-Known Radge
I don't think we will be looking primarily at American players, in fact I doubt we will be looking at any at all, unless a good one becomes available like Mueller...He was a bit of an exception as we were in a position to get (hopefully !) a talented front man at the club through Ian and Ron's contacts. Ian Gordon will be heading up the recruitment department, but that department will consist of several scouts and no doubt still be focussed mainly on scottish and UK players. Brexit means it will be very difficult to recruit from Europe now and get in players who are good enough to play for Hibs, so with that in mind we have to expand the range of our search. There will be scouts working at the club looking at players everywhere, but mainly I would think still in Scotland.
Haven’t we already said we are looking at finding more Czech players (and that probably means all those countries in that part of Europe that consistently produce quality teams)?

HenryLB

Donator
NFL is manufactured pish though. Recruitment in all normal walks of life is pretty opaque with all manner of shenanigans going on.

Whereas the Scottish Premiership is a faultless expression of the purest Corinthian sporting ideals :sm113:

I'm not talking about the process of getting the employees, which is bound to be secretive, but the responsibility within organisations for how that's done. It's generally not opaque at all in terms of whose remit it falls under.

joethehibby

Well-Known Radge
Maybe , but it’s a level playing field , without one or two “richer “ 😩 clubs having an advantage and allowed to cheat their way to success 🤷‍♂️

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here