Graeme Mathie

SUPPORT THE SITE!
October Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £35.00

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
I think the CEO should be responsible for negotiation and concluding transfer dealings. Peter Lawell did it at Celtc. See no reason why our CEO can't do it.

Reactions: Zab

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
I think the CEO should be responsible for negotiation and concluding transfer dealings. Peter Lawell did it at Celtc. See no reason why our CEO can't do it.

I'm not so sure.
Someone with a background in scouting seems to make sense to me. Someone that understands a players level and potential growth to understand where they fall on a pay scale.

Zab

Admin

I agree. If the CEO trusts the director of football (or whatever title they have) to identify the players along with the manager, it makes sense that the CEO negotiates. They don’t need to seek authority from anyone if they have to pay a little more to make the deal happen.

I'm not so sure.
Someone with a background in scouting seems to make sense to me. Someone that understands a players level and potential growth to understand where they fall on a pay scale.

I don’t think that means they are right person to negotiation fees with clubs and contracts with agents. Play identification and business negations are very different skill sets.

paigntonhibby

Well-Known Radge
I'm not so sure.
I would imagine the CEO would take advice from the manager and staff as to the present/ future valuation of a player to the squad and the club and then use his negotiating experience to close the deal.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
I agree. If the CEO trusts the director of football (or whatever title they have) to identify the players along with the manager, it makes sense that the CEO negotiates. They don’t need to seek authority from anyone if they have to pay a little more to make the deal happen.

I don’t think that means they are right person to negotiation fees with clubs and contracts with agents. Play identification and business negations are very different skill sets.

A standard scout, I agree.
But if they've moved up the ladder to DoF role or something similar, then they should have some negotiating and business nous imo.

Robert Barone

Well-Known Radge
I'll bet the CEO and Ron are seething that this was leaked. Regardless of what's happening with Mathie its not been handled well at all imo. Very messy and is dragging on.

Zab

Admin
A standard scout, I agree.
But if they've moved up the ladder to DoF role or something similar, then they should have some negotiating and business nous imo.

I agree they should, but I suppose it will greatly differ from club to club. Man City are very much invested in the Director of Football model and have someone who handles the deals, yet at Man Utd the Chief Executive is still involved.

Ultimately depends on what the remit for the job is. I’d say, purely from the outside looking in, that Mathie is better at identifying players than doing the deals. To be fair to Mathie, he took on George Craig’s duties and retained his own, probably too big a role for one person.

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge

This.

Identification of targets and even initial conversations are one thing. The nitty gritty of a contract or a package for a transfer should be at CEO level.

Rod did it....

Reactions: Zab

stickyRicky

Muirhouse Radge
I like Tam but he's a wee bit all over the place. On the night the window closed I was moaning on Twitter about us not signing a striker. He told me to stop moaning. A few days later he's in his rag saying our transfer window was shambolic...

Plays to an audience i think. No thought of his own.

stickyRicky

Muirhouse Radge
Surely when he’s employed by the club on match days he shouldn’t be writing in rags before any official confirmation from the club….if he still is employed by the club on match days, no sure now we are allowed back in to watch games?

Fair point that. No official news of Mathies departure but there he is giving an inside scoop.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Surely when he’s employed by the club on match days he shouldn’t be writing in rags before any official confirmation from the club….if he still is employed by the club on match days, no sure now we are allowed back in to watch games?
Maybe he got an inside scoop as an employee of the club, the club using friendly journalists to get their narrative out there.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here