Graeme Mathie

SUPPORT THE SITE!
October Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £35.00

Spanish-hibs

New radge
To be honest, assuming it's true, i'm not too surprised with this development. I have suspected for quite a while now that Ross and Mathie's working relationship was not exactly harmonious and after the fiasco of the last transfer window...well, let's just say I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back with ruthless Ron.

They failed to get in the players the manager wanted and needed. That's Mathie's job. I think he deserves credit over the last few years in that we have recruited quite well in the main, but the last two windows (undoubtedly affected by Covid and lack of money coming in) for me have been disappointing and have not provided us with the players we really needed. I trust the new guy whoever he is will be more successful.

What's interesting for me is that Mathie held quite a strong position at the club. Head of Sporting Operations, he basically replaced George Craig and was Jack Ross's immediate boss. You can't say old Ron isn't a man of action. He is going to bring in his own team and everyone at Easter Road will know now if they didn't know before that high standards have to be met and improved upon.
My view on this is Mathie messed up TDD and we all know Ron wants the best for Hibs. Spoke to him recently and he was certain important new signings were coming in before deadline .

Zab

Admin
I’m not too surprised if this is the end of the road for Mathie at Hibernian. While he has been involved in making some good signings, there’s been plenty of negatives during his tenure.

We’ve had a few underwhelming summer windows, which we’ve had to rectify with short term loan deals in the January windows.

We seem to constantly spend deadline day scrapping around rather than having a coherent plan or having our business done before then.

We haven’t produced a multimillion pound sellable asset since John McGinn.

We appear to struggle to conclude certain deals, both in and out.

Steve20

Donator
Yip I'd be amazed if such a clever man as Ron Gordon is would indulge in such nonsense.

I'm thinking though that Mathie is paying the price for not generating some cash this summer....

My first reaction was the other way - he’s paying the price for the failure to get deals in. We’ve missed out on quite a few targets in the past couple of years that looked like they were done. McCart, McCrorie, any striker that was available and we wanted in January AND all this summer (that ended with us apparently panicking and trying to beat Dundee to a finished Griffiths in the end).

Maybe the McGrath failure was the final straw.

Reactions: Zab

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Another thing about Mathie, and I’ve nothing to back this up other than a hunch, is that he didn’t particularly covet the role of sporting director - he didn’t want George Craigs job he was happy where he was. I wonder if the Americans were like “here’s this fantastic opportunity for you” and he couldn’t turn it down because it would have looked like he wasn’t ambitious to progress.

but on that point, I don’t think his previous role was ever back filled, and it’s clear there have been huge gaps in hibs manpower infrastructure in the last period. AGM should be good.

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
Another thing about Mathie, and I’ve nothing to back this up other than a hunch, is that he didn’t particularly covet the role of sporting director - he didn’t want George Craigs job he was happy where he was. I wonder if the Americans were like “here’s this fantastic opportunity for you” and he couldn’t turn it down because it would have looked like he wasn’t ambitious to progress.

but on that point, I don’t think his previous role was ever back filled, and it’s clear there have been huge gaps in hibs manpower infrastructure in the last period. AGM should be good.

I thought he was approached about another job at the Huns this time a couple of years ago and was on the verge of leaving. To keep him we created the position he moved into?

I hope this position is filled quicker than it took to fill the position of CEO.

And on the CEO I'm assuming that this was his decision and his decision only? Maybe the new CEO concluded our transfer window movements inward and outward wasn't the best. I always thought Graeme Mathie spoke very well but the reality of our transfer windows never gave the impression of a previously discussed plan being executed.

Reactions: Zab
Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here