Media George Floyd just another in a long line.

paigntonhibby

Well-Known Radge
On slightly different track, a friend of mine was on a tour in Kenya and the black guide spoke about the huge problem with black on black slave trade centuries ago and while some of that may have been through fear of the whites and to win favour, he stated it was just something that even then was not out of the ordinary. History is good to learn from but few people want to explore the whole and prefer to stick to a part. None of that justifies what Whites did btw, but it does point to Human's being flawed no matter what race, creed or colour
Every dominant society in history has enslaved the weaker ones
Much as it goes against some peoples agenda whites didnt invent slavery or were the sole perpetrators.

aggie

Justified Radge
Good.Flounce off.
I certainly enjoyed my break. Was long enough for me to just accept that for some folk, concepts like reason, nuance, and proportionality should never be allowed to so much as temper their virtuous outrage. My conclusion was that it's best to just let them carry on with their righteous, more-radical-than-thou posturing and not get so irked by it.

Warm regards :)

Admin
I certainly enjoyed my break. Was long enough for me to just accept that for some folk, concepts like reason, nuance, and proportionality should never be allowed to so much as temper their virtuous outrage. My conclusion was that it's best to just let them carry on with their righteous, more-radical-than-thou posturing and not get so irked by it.

Nice to have you back though Aggie.

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge

Welcome back Aggie, nowt special happened while you were away, Chookie Embra slid oot and we still huvnae signed Leigh, apart fae that, nowt bud😁👍

moathibby

Legendary Radge
So when a glaring case of injustice being turned over when even the President of the United States makes a statement saying how important a moment it has been. Someone on here in order to deflect away from the guilty charge has to resort to 'whataboutery'.?

GORDONSMITH7

Admin
So when a glaring case of injustice being turned over when even the President of the United States makes a statement saying how important a moment it has been. Someone on here in order to deflect away from the guilty charge has to resort to 'whataboutery'.?
However Angus, I think my Comrades based in the USA have put the result and Biden's statement into perspective.

BIG G

paigntonhibby

Well-Known Radge
Who ?

Gareth

Well-Known Radge
Every dominant society in history has enslaved the weaker ones
Much as it goes against some peoples agenda whites didnt invent slavery or were the sole perpetrators.
This is such a ridiculous argument. Slavery has always and continues to exist but Europeans turned it into an industrial machine and tied is closely to their own development, to try to claim commonality with other examples of slavery is like saying Amazon is equivalent to the local shop, or the breakaway superleague 12 are just doing what Queen of the South do to Stranraer.

paigntonhibby

Well-Known Radge
This is such a ridiculous argument. Slavery has always and continues to exist but Europeans turned it into an industrial machine and tied is closely to their own development, to try to claim commonality with other examples of slavery is like saying Amazon is equivalent to the local shop, or the breakaway superleague 12 are just doing what Queen of the South do to Stranraer.
Rubbish

paigntonhibby

Well-Known Radge
The chinese were pretty good at it as were the mongols ,Egyptians, arabs, Russians and every other " civilisation" there's ever been. In actual fact Europeans came to it rather late in the day, 17th century.
Had the means been available to any other civilisation I'm pretty sure they would have taken advantage. Many royal navy sailors lost their lives abolishing slavery but that doesnt fit the agenda that we're responsible for all the worlds ills. Focus should be on the slavery that still exists rather than what happened in the past which nobody alive today is responsible for.

Gareth

Well-Known Radge
The chinese were pretty good at it as were the mongols ,Egyptians, arabs, Russians and every other " civilisation" there's ever been. In actual fact Europeans came to it rather late in the day, 17th century.
Had the means been available to any other civilisation I'm pretty sure they would have taken advantage. Many royal navy sailors lost their lives abolishing slavery but that doesnt fit the agenda that we're responsible for all the worlds ills. Focus should be on the slavery that still exists rather than what happened in the past which nobody alive today is responsible for.
Indeed these countries did practice slavery, as did the Romans. But then industrialisation happens and capitalism develops and the European powers begin to dominate the globe and use their global presence to industrialise slavery, by transferring slaves across the globe based on their 'business' needs. To say 'they would have done the same' is pointless, they didn't, therefore the focus is on those who did. To say so isn't an 'agenda', its to suggest our historical amnesia is at best unhelpful.

paigntonhibby

Well-Known Radge
Indeed these countries did practice slavery, as did the Romans. But then industrialisation happens and capitalism develops and the European powers begin to dominate the globe and use their global presence to industrialise slavery, by transferring slaves across the globe based on their 'business' needs. To say 'they would have done the same' is pointless, they didn't, therefore the focus is on those who did. To say so isn't an 'agenda', its to suggest our historical amnesia is at best unhelpful.
There is no historical amnesia, it happened, it's those that are wanting to pull down statues that are trying to erase history. As I've said before you cant lay 21st century values on the past, many many things that we find abhorrent today were considered perfectly normal at the time so to lay " blame" or to feel that present day politicians should have to apologise for something that was considered normal and happened centuries ago is bollocks.
The Arabs made a business out of slavery long before the europeans did, and are still at it but I dont see anybody asking them to apologise, but we'll just bend over, hold our hands up and say it was all our fault because everybody's too shit scared to offend anybody and be called a racist.
I watched the Floyd verdict on the telly and and the copper was rightly found guilty, then Floyd's family came on and said what a lovely guy he was and how he taught them respect and everybody loved him. The guy was a horrible violent thug who lived a life of crime , he didnt deserve to die the way he did but people are scared to call him what he was cause they'll be called racist.
I've got absolutely no doubt that somebody on here will be calling me a racist shortly simply because i hold an opinion that differs from most of you.

Gareth

Well-Known Radge
There is no historical amnesia, it happened, it's those that are wanting to pull down statues that are trying to erase history. As I've said before you cant lay 21st century values on the past, many many things that we find abhorrent today were considered perfectly normal at the time so to lay " blame" or to feel that present day politicians should have to apologise for something that was considered normal and happened centuries ago is bollocks.
The Arabs made a business out of slavery long before the europeans did, and are still at it but I dont see anybody asking them to apologise, but we'll just bend over, hold our hands up and say it was all our fault because everybody's too shit scared to offend anybody and be called a racist.
I watched the Floyd verdict on the telly and and the copper was rightly found guilty, then Floyd's family came on and said what a lovely guy he was and how he taught them respect and everybody loved him. The guy was a horrible violent thug who lived a life of crime , he didnt deserve to die the way he did but people are scared to call him what he was cause they'll be called racist.
I've got absolutely no doubt that somebody on here will be calling me a racist shortly simply because i hold an opinion that differs from most of you.
I don't agree in pulling down all these statues, what I do think is having a statue is a way of honouring people, so there is a real question as to why some people are honoured and what we do with those who don't. I also think its a cop out to say 'its was the way things were done then' as a way to suggest that people doing it were not therefore wrong, or monsters. Lots of people opposed slavery at the time, but the powerful capitalists and the church over-rode them. And your nonsense about Arab countries, if you want your moral compass to be set according to theocrats and despots then fill your boots. Its not for me.
Re floyd, how do you know he was a horrible violent thug. There are people on the Bounce who have been involved in violence, does that make them reducible to being violent thugs. Of course not, people are complex and can behave in different and sometimes contradictory ways, so perhaps a lot of the time he was lovely and taught respect and was also occasionally involved in violence.
Re racism, I've not idea if you are racist, but you're certainly spouting the same stuff they do.

SUPPORT THE SITE!
May Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £40.00

Unread Posts