Gay Man's Story of New York

GORDONSMITH7

Admin
Registered
WARNING TO YOUNG PEOPLE DO NOT WATCH.....This has content about people shagging

This thread is all well and dandy but a mere ripple in the ocean of banned records by the BBC, the list of which is staggering, ludicrous, yet funny when you see it in full.

For me this reached the height of absurdity when both the banned Je t'aime,....mois non plus by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg and Wet Dream by Max Romeo got into the charts in 1968. For the young team on here that werenae Pop Picking in '68 as Fluff would say. Both on Pick of the Pops on radio and Top of the Pops on TV each week and that ran into several weeks as Je t'aime got to No 1 and Wet Dream to No 10 despite the total airtime ban, on chart countdown an image would appear, but zero words said about the artist or the title of the song.....and at number one....silence. Couldnae make it up.

Je t'aime was banned in several counties including the USA, quelle surprise, as Jane may have said. However it got to No1 in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland and more.

It was denounced by the Vatican, who must have got a Latin translation. One would have in hindsight thought that they had more to be concerned about than two consenting adults having sex.
Their young flock in the Republic of Ireland were having none of it. It got to No. 2 in the Irish charts. The times they were a changing.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7

Admin
Registered
WARNING TO YOUNG PEOPLE DO NOT WATCH.....This has content about people shagging

This thread is all well and dandy but a mere ripple in the ocean of banned records by the BBC, the list of which is staggering, ludicrous, yet funny when you see it in full.

For me this reached the height of absurdity when both the banned Je t'aime,....mois non plus by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg and Wet Dream by Max Romeo got into the charts in 1968. For the young team on here that werenae Pop Picking in '68 as Fluff would say. Both on Pick of the Pops on radio and Top of the Pops on TV each week and that ran into several weeks as Je t'aime got to No 1 and Wet Dream to No 10 despite the total airtime ban, on chart countdown an image would appear, but zero words said about the artist or the title of the song.....and at number one....silence. Couldnae make it up.

Je t'aime was banned in several counties including the USA, quelle surprise, as Jane may have said. However it got to No1 in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland and more.

It was denounced by the Vatican, who must have got a Latin translation. One would have in hindsight thought that they had more to be concerned about than two consenting adults having sex.
Their young flock in the Republic of Ireland were having none of it. It got to No. 2 in the Irish charts. The times they were a changing.

BIG G

Splendid organ on this. Titter ye not listen.

BIG G

Sir Shrink

Retired Radge
Legend
VIP Member
Registered
Can't remember that Max Romeo number at all, maybe because I wasn't a big fan of reggae (other than Bob Marley and maybe Jimmy Cliff) although I remember Jane Birkin.... :P
Wondered why that creepy Peter Cooke lookalike got to coorie in with her.... turned out he wrote the 'song'.

Catchy tune though eh?

Chester Perry

Thank you god, for football, for Maradona.
VIP Member
Registered
Wonder if they're gonnae dae the same tae a' the " Gangsta in the 'hood" songs aboot stabbings, shootings and drugs and calling people "nigga"
Yes they do edit these songs. And the especially omit the F word which was pretty much ubiquitous in 90s “gangsta n the hood” songs.

Nice use of the N word though.

GORDONSMITH7

Admin
Registered
I remember Jane Birkin.... :P
Wondered why that creepy Peter Cooke lookalike got to coorie in with her.... turned out he wrote the 'song'.

Probably because of Serge's blisteringly cool chat up lines with women I should imagine.......

BIG G

Last edited:

paigntonhibby

VIP Member
Registered
Yes they do edit these songs. And the especially omit the F word which was pretty much ubiquitous in 90s “gangsta n the hood” songs.

Nice use of the N word though.
The N word, however its spelt, is an offensive word that I wouldnt use. My point is , if its offensive then it shouldnt be used by anybody.

Chester Perry

Thank you god, for football, for Maradona.
VIP Member
Registered
The N word, however its spelt, is an offensive word that I wouldnt use. My point is , if its offensive then it shouldnt be used by anybody.
You wouldn’t use it, but you did.

if you don’t understand why it’s ok for a group to use the word used to put them down then I can’t help you.

im just wondering why folk automatically attach sexuality to the word faggot. Same can be said for gay. But when a non black guy uses the N word, there is no ambiguity. That word has only one meaning.

paigntonhibby

VIP Member
Registered

if you don’t understand why it’s ok for a group to use the word used to put them down then I can’t help you.

im just wondering why folk automatically attach sexuality to the word faggot. Same can be said for gay. But when a non black guy uses the N word, there is no ambiguity. That word has only one meaning.
I used it as an example, which I suspect you know. I agree entirely with you 3rd para

moathibby

VIP Member
Registered

im just wondering why folk automatically attach sexuality to the word faggot. Same can be said for gay. But when a non black guy uses the N word, there is no ambiguity. That word has only one meaning

I have heard the connotation for faggot with gays stems back to the middle ages. People suspected of having homosexual relations with others were regularly burnt at the stake. The wood would be set alit using faggots or small bundles of twigs bound together.

paigntonhibby

VIP Member
Registered
I have heard the connotation for faggot with gays stems back to the middle ages. People suspected of having homosexual relations with others were regularly burnt at the stake. The wood would be set alit using faggots or small bundles of twigs bound together.
From what I can see the term faggot for homosexuals wasnt used until the 1920's, a few hundred years after they stopped burning people at the stake , so I think any connection between the two is unlikely. Could be wrong of course.

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

Can you Help At All?
Goal
£107.00
Earned
£130.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage Visit Hibs Picks