Forfar memories

WillieWilson

Bounce Radge
This'll be a short thread - according to the Forfar FC website we haven't met in a competitive fixture since 1971. Half a century - gone but in the blink of an eye! That last match was a Scottish Cup 3rd round tie. The previous season, Hibs had finished 3rd in Division One, while Forfar were 2nd bottom of Division 2, and the gulf between the sides showed as Hibs won 8-1, with goals from Jimmy O'Rourke (3), Kenny Davidson (2), Arthur Duncan, Eric Stevenson and one o.g. Memorable for: still I think equals the most goals I have seen Hibs score in one game, I know we have had a few nines since then but I wasn't at any of them.

The draw for the next round reward us with a trip to Tynie, where Hibs triumphed 2-1. Memorable for: Arthur Duncan's winning goal, collecting the ball near the centre circle he outpaces the full back and from an acute angle smashes the ball across the keeper and into the net. You can see the goal (and Hibs' opener from John Hazel) here:

On to the quarter final and over 21,000 fans packed into Easter Road to see a game against Dundee settled by a second-half penalty from O'Rourke. Memorable for: a massive pagger (is that still a word?) between opposing fans in the Cave, many arrests, great entertainment.

The semi final saw us drawn against Ye Olde Hunnes at Hampden. Memorable for: after a goalless draw, reporters overheard Hibs manager Dave Ewing telling his players "Ran.gers are rubbish", which was the headline in all the papers the next day. Since in those days trips to face the Hunnish hordes in the Wild West were considered too dangerous for a ten year old I wasn't at that game, nor the replay, which unfortunately ended in a 2-1 defeat, Jimmy O'Rourke again on the scoresheet for Hibs.

So once again our dreams of Scottish Cup glory were dashed, but never mind, maybe we'd win it next year.

Thanks to the ihibs site for filling in some of the details.

GORDONSMITH7

Been Here For A While
This'll be a short thread - according to the Forfar FC website we haven't met in a competitive fixture since 1971. Half a century - gone but in the blink of an eye! That last match was a Scottish Cup 3rd round tie. The previous season, Hibs had finished 3rd in Division One, while Forfar were 2nd bottom of Division 2, and the gulf between the sides showed as Hibs won 8-1, with goals from Jimmy O'Rourke (3), Kenny Davidson (2), Arthur Duncan, Eric Stevenson and one o.g. Memorable for: still I think equals the most goals I have seen Hibs score in one game, I know we have had a few nines since then but I wasn't at any of them.

The draw for the next round reward us with a trip to Tynie, where Hibs triumphed 2-1. Memorable for: Arthur Duncan's winning goal, collecting the ball near the centre circle he outpaces the full back and from an acute angle smashes the ball across the keeper and into the net. You can see the goal (and Hibs' opener from John Hazel) here:

On to the quarter final and over 21,000 fans packed into Easter Road to see a game against Dundee settled by a second-half penalty from O'Rourke. Memorable for: a massive pagger (is that still a word?) between opposing fans in the Cave, many arrests, great entertainment.

The semi final saw us drawn against Ye Olde Hunnes at Hampden. Memorable for: after a goalless draw, reporters overheard Hibs manager Dave Ewing telling his players "Ran.gers are rubbish", which was the headline in all the papers the next day. Since in those days trips to face the Hunnish hordes in the Wild West were considered too dangerous for a ten year old I wasn't at that game, nor the replay, which unfortunately ended in a 2-1 defeat, Jimmy O'Rourke again on the scoresheet for Hibs.

So once again our dreams of Scottish Cup glory were dashed, but never mind, maybe we'd win it next year.

All Our Yesterdays. Great memories Mark. I was at all of the aforementioned games and my vantage point was in the Shed. There were always fights in their. Hibs supporters at the Albion Road side, and a row of cops which was inevitably broken and Hearts, Huns, Celtic to the left side of them.
Hibs 3 - 0 Forfar.

BIG G

Sir Shrink

Retired Radge
Bounce Radge
As Big G says, there was often fun and games in the Shed.

As I recall it, the Dundee boys had a fair number of skinheads in their ranks and were quite a force to be reckoned with. They came charging into the Shed and there was absolute mayhem for about ten minutes if I recall correctly, which of course is another matter entirely.

WillieWilson

Bounce Radge
All Our Yesterdays. Great memories Mark. I was at all of the aforementioned games and my vantage point was in the Shed. There were always fights in their. Hibs supporters at the Albion Road side, and a row of cops which was inevitably broken and Hearts, Huns, Celtic to the left side of them.
Hibs 3 - 0 Forfar.

BIG G
One of the best/worst (depending on your point of view) Battles of the Shed was the Drybrough Cup semi-final 1972 v the Huns. Not long after the Cup winners cup final in Barcelona where the Hun fans had invaded the pitch and fought Franco's police - subsequently claimed as some sort of latter-day anti-fascist action, but I'm not having that. They couldn't handle a drubbing from Hibs. That was a 3-0 too G, did you have a bet on in those days? Not long afterwards the Shed was closed (before the first derby of the season I think) , and then bench seating installed, and an era was over.

AG1337

Bounce Radge
East Fife 5 Forfar 4. Easier typed than spoken.
Very little to do with this thread but it immediately came to mind.

Never been to Forfar. It’s on my bucket list alongside the town of Raith where the Rovers play.......

WillieWilson

Bounce Radge

Latest Posts

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

Can you Help At All?
Goal
£107.00
Earned
£38.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage Visit Hibs Picks