• Guest, Pickem Week 1 Available Here!

This is a Prize League - To Enter See Here

Floods in Western Germany and Benelux

SUPPORT THE SITE!
July Goal: £100.00
Donations so far: £60.00

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
A sign of things to come with global warning getting the blame. I see Leige mentioned as having some of the fatalities.Sad movies.😢

Reactions: Zab

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
More than a hundred deaths already in Germany alone and possibly a lot more (hopefully many just away on hols or phone batteries dead).

Got friends in Roermond (Southern Holland) they're ok but streets flooded as I now hear 10,000 evacuated in Venlo (2nd tier fc VVV Venlo), which is on the Maas river I think, it also broke thru a dike somewhre else...

I get the feeling this is not gonna be great summer, cross fingers.

SORRY ADMINS, PLS MERGE WITH @hibbybilly 's post, he beat me to it. Great minds.

Reactions: Zab

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
More than a hundred deaths already in Germany alone and possibly a lot more (hopefully many just away on hols or phone batteries dead).

Got friends in Roermond (Southern Holland) they're ok but streets flooded as I now hear 10,000 evacuated in Venlo (2nd tier fc VVV Venlo), which is on the Maas river I think, it also broke thru a dike somewhre else...

I get the feeling this is not gonna be great summer, cross fingers.

SORRY ADMINS, PLS MERGE WITH @hibbybilly 's post, he beat me to it. Great minds.
Looks horrendous D. Hope they get all the missing people.

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Looks horrendous D. Hope they get all the missing people.
Was reading some German reports... very distressing stories, very human, folk deciding to ride it out in cellars with horrendous results.

We may get it bad up here in north Holland, but if you are near the 'big rivers', as the Dutch call the Rhine and the Maas, it can be pretty terrifying at times like these.

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Was reading some German reports... very distressing stories, very human, folk deciding to ride it out in cellars with horrendous results.

We may get it bad up here in north Holland, but if you are near the 'big rivers', as the Dutch call the Rhine and the Maas, it can be pretty terrifying at times like these.
No much in the way of hills in they regions bud. All very flat, I’d be very worried if I lived there.

Greenmachine

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Absolute tragedy.

It's all getting closer to home. Humanity is going to pay a heavy price for allowing global warming to reach the scale it has already.
IMO this will be much more catastrophic for the world than any pandemic.
I just hope we can do enough to redeem ourselves in the next few years for future generations.

Last edited:

moathibby

Legendary Radge
Don't want to downplay the terrible tragedy that is happening. But much the same thing happens in places like Bangladesh nearly every year, with the same devastation and death rates. Does it garner the same attention in Western media as this? No.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Don't want to downplay the terrible tragedy that is happening. But much the same thing happens in places like Bangladesh nearly every year, with the same devastation and death rates. Does it garner the same attention in Western media as this? No.
Probably because it's an expected event, every year in fact. The floods in Germany etc. are supposedly a once a millennium event and the standard floods have been mitigated against with pretty robust flood defences. Has the Bangladeshi government invested to reduce the impact of their flooding?

Doesn't make the loss of lives any less sad.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here