First Time in boozer ever.

moathibby

VIP Member
I’d be at Leithy me and my punky pals went to a pub which was up Lochend Rd.and it’s the first st on the left which is Burns St. I reckon I’d be 17 a few of my mates 16.We must have taken off our blazers and ties but I reckon the bar staff knew fine well. I passed there yesterday and it is no longer there and I can’t for the life of me remember what it was called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocky

VIP Member
I’d be at Leithy me and my punky pals went to a pub which was up Lochend Rd.and it’s the first st on the left which is Burns St. I reckon I’d be 17 a few of my mates 16.We must have taken off our blazers and ties but I reckon the bar staff knew fine well. I passed there yesterday and it is no longer there and I can’t for the life of me remember what it was called?

I've done a wee Google search and the only one I can see popping up is Mr Smiths - ring any bells?

Used to see 2 or 3 of the teachers going in there at lunchtime, they probably needed a couple of large vodkas after putting up with us. Mr Smiths in 83 or 84.

Greenmachine

VIP Member
Golden Gates which used to be just up from Meadowbank but is now some legal advice office or something. Upstairs lounge had a good juke box which was always a good thing for me. Used to go in there with a few mates when I was about 17 and had just left school...(about early 1982).

EA2007

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
VIP Member
Maybe Negociants late 80s. Sure that had a rep for underage peeve.

Was working in a bank not long after my 16th birthday so was regular in boozers most Friday’s from then on including the liquid lunches at the Grosvenor or Melville.

moathibby

VIP Member
Never understood why the Golden Gates was so called since the nearest bridge was down Smokey Brae

Admin
Probably some dump is Bathgate after school around 1982. If not, then the Stirrup Stane or Tower, both still going all these years later in Crazyhill, Livingston.

Jack

Legend
My friend had just started working in a lawyers office at the West End and I met him now and again after school. This day we decided to go for a beer so I put my blazer in my school bag and we popped into the Rose Revived. As the older/taller one I went to the bar "2 glasses of beer please" "BOLT" said the barman to howls of laughter around the bar.

Having learned a lesson we went across the road to Ma Scott's and enjoyed a couple of pints of beer! This was a month before my 16th birthday.

We became regulars in the Rutland Hotel (now the Huxley). My pal got lifted for underage drinking while I was in the loo. One of the barmen came down to warm me and I escaped through another exit!

On his way to court, still underage, my pal only had a fiver and the maximum fine was £20 so he nipped into the bookie and won the 20 quid needed! In the end he was fined £1 so we went to the pub with the rest. The idiot that was with us got done for supplying, he got a £5 fine :3:

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
Went into the cask n barrel with fake ID when I was about 15, didn't know what to ask for... First pub drink, guiness... not the best choice
So sacked cask n barrel, off down to the stags heid. Ended up talking defensive positioning with 2 old boys all night.

Then got caught staggering home by the stepda, who decided it was safer me n my pal drinking with him in the hopetoun on Mcdonald Road every weekend with him.

Nearly got murdered in the toilets in smithies one night singing hibs songs too. So he was probably right

WJC1848

VIP Member
Never understood why the Golden Gates was so called since the nearest bridge was down Smokey Brae

Perhaps due to the starting and finishing gates at Old Meadowbank, Moaty, when Edinburgh Monarchs had a great team with stars like Jack Young and Dick Cuppleditch in the early fifties.

sauzee 1875

New radge
Bow how in newhaven
Don't know how got there but found passed out in kedi Park by my dad. 16 at time and my punishment was to be taken to black Swan following day to get a pint down to make me suffer. Did not work I felt better and got a taste for it 🤮

I always imagined it was to do with being the gateway to a golden future at Meadowbank.

Probably some dump is Bathgate after school around 1982. If not, then the Stirrup Stane or Tower, both still going all these years later in Crazyhill, Livingston.
First pub I ever bought a pint at the bar was in Pumpherston then they found out we were all 16. Had a few sneaky pints hiding in the corner of busy pubs at away games before then.

Latest Posts

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

Can you Help At All?
Goal
£107.00
Earned
£70.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage Visit Hibs Picks