Electric cars

SUPPORT THE SITE!
October Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £20.00

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
I'm sold on EVs, I've ordered one. It'll have a range of 350 miles on a single charge for a few quid and do 0-60 in 4s which is, well, unnecessary really.

Given the running costs are lower and performance is better I don't think it'll be too long before we consider petrol/diesel cars as old fashioned.

Clearly there are potential charging problems if you live in a flat or whatever but more and more charging stations are popping up all the time.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
It would be a lot more than that I would think.
If you convert the energy from all gas guzzlers into electric it’s astronomical. Every town would need it s own power station 😂
The grid is almost maxed out just now.
Scotland at least, has a step on regarding renewable energy.

Not sure how true that is. Some utilities companies are encouraging charging overnight by providing electricity cheaply then. There's plenty of electricity capacity at non-peak times.

tayside hibee

Well-Known Radge
Not sure how true that is. Some utilities companies are encouraging charging overnight by providing electricity cheaply then. There's plenty of electricity capacity at non-peak times.
I’m not so sure. Just picture a busy motorway and imagine the power consumption involved. It’s mind blowing. And just now, one charge at night doesn’t cut the mustard for a large minority of drivers.
Technology will of course evolve and maybe soon you will get 500 miles from a full charge.
I think they will have to come up with another fuel for the combustion engine . I’m not convinced electric cars are as green as they think. Batteries alone are not an easy thing to dispose of in a environmentally friendly way.
I may be talking pish. 😂

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
I’m not so sure. Just picture a busy motorway and imagine the power consumption involved. It’s mind blowing. And just now, one charge at night doesn’t cut the mustard for a large minority of drivers.
Technology will of course evolve and maybe soon you will get 500 miles from a full charge.
I think they will have to come up with another fuel for the combustion engine . I’m not convinced electric cars are as green as they think. Batteries alone are not an easy thing to dispose of in a environmentally friendly way.
I may be talking pish. 😂
I think it'll be the infrastructure that will hold it all back

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
I may be talking pish. 😂

There are people who need to drive long distances in a single go but I can't remember the last time I did more than a couple of hundred miles in a day and fairly sure thats the same for most.

Batteries and creating new cars isn't very sustainable though, you are right. It's the lesser of two evils though.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
There are people who need to drive long distances in a single go but I can't remember the last time I did more than a couple of hundred miles in a day and fairly sure thats the same for most.

Batteries and creating new cars isn't very sustainable though, you are right. It's the lesser of two evils though.
The whole world needs to do it never gonna happen unfortunately

tayside hibee

Well-Known Radge

I don’t think there are many cars which get you 200 miles on a single charge. It’s more likely 120 under normal Scottish driving conditions ( I think)
There are many people , especially down south where a 200 mile round commute is the norm. Take for example , a car of 4 Hibbies going to Aberdeen for a game , you would have to stop at least once, maybe twice for at least a hour each time to refuel.
And as @Forzahibs said, the infrastructure just won’t be in place . We are talking millions x10 of chargers. The world would be full of car parks 😭. All built on the green belt nae doubt 😂

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
I don’t think there are many cars which get you 200 miles on a single charge. It’s more likely 120 under normal Scottish driving conditions ( I think)
There are many people , especially down south where a 200 mile round commute is the norm. Take for example , a car of 4 Hibbies going to Aberdeen for a game , you would have to stop at least once, maybe twice for at least a hour each time to refuel.
And as @Forzahibs said, the infrastructure just won’t be in place . We are talking millions x10 of chargers. The world would be full of car parks 😭. All built on the green belt nae doubt 😂

The car I ordered claims 360 miles. More than enough to take 4 to Aberdeen and back. There are different range levels and sizes of cars, just as there are for petrol/diesel, you just choose one that suits your needs. Ranges at the lower end will keep improving but I appreciate price is an issue for bigger ranges. That said, government tax breaks will ensure take-up continues for the forseeable.

I'm getting a charger in my driveway, there's loads at work and a growing network everywhere. I think this issue is a bit of a crutch for those resistant to change

Westside Green

Well-Known Radge
I'd be wary of buying one through salary sacrifice as I was reading that it will be one of the next revenue raising exercises.

Reactions: Zab

emerald green

Well-Known Radge
Solar panels etc, the increased electricity for cars..... all "underwritten" by the exisitng coal / nuclear grid.

We cannae switch off our grid, it has to be on all the time. We are trying to clean up, and biomass seems the preferred option.... which is chopping trees doon tae chips tae burn, basically.

Green energy seems to be a bit of a bag of shite tbh.

At this moment in time, EVs seems to be swapping one problem for other problems...

Rocky

Well-Known Radge

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
If we managed White Meter heating 40 years ago I'm sure it's not beyond the capability of modern technology to manage car charging demand to align to off peak periods.
As I understand it if you have a smart [electricity] meter then your supplier can restrict your supply anytime it likes.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here