Electric cars

SUPPORT THE SITE!
November Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £30.00

Archie

Well-Known Radge
I think there is a lot of old news here. Ranges are increasing dramatically. EVs are great fun to drive: think a really nippy automatic. The optimum will be to charge at home if you can. That opens up really exciting options for renewables as this provides huge potential for energy storage and selling back into the grid. Concerns about range need to be looked at in the context of how you actually drive. If you regularly do 200m plus It's probably not for you. But most people simply don't do anything like that. The Scottish Govt supported charging network is Chargeplace Scotland. Lots of free charging, but that won't last. There are issues: capital cost (price equalization expected in the next few years, but not yet); rare elements - not so much lithium, but cobalt is an issue; and charging where it can't be done at home. But current models aren't sustainable, particularly given carbon reduction commitments. And unlike a lot of green strategies, EVs are fun, basically because they go like stonk. What's not to love?

Jamie

Admin
i mean how far you could go on a day out lol plus anything even half decent is out of most peoples reach
Glasgow Fort is 42 miles from me.

Technically could go there and back on a full charge. And even if not you plug yer car in and go shopping etc whilst it charges.

I get what you are saying though D, All about peoples personal needs.

And the range of these cars is only gonna keep improving imo.

southfieldhibby

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
How long does it take tae charge a car?
Depends if it’s single phase or 3 phase supply. I’m a big fan of the idea and almost got one a couple of weeks ago, but decided to wait a few more years to allow mileage to increase. Got a hire BMW X5 hybrid just now after some eedjit crashed into me on the bypass and when it’s in electric it’s acceleration is insane.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Depends if it’s single phase or 3 phase supply. I’m a big fan of the idea and almost got one a couple of weeks ago, but decided to wait a few more years to allow mileage to increase. Got a hire BMW X5 hybrid just now after some eedjit crashed into me on the bypass and when it’s in electric it’s acceleration is insane.
How long is it going to be until such cars trickle down to be remotely affordable though ? I regularly do 300+ miles on a day out at weekends and thats before we sort out how and where people charge them at home ?? Some tremendous pie in the sky theories going around when we've yet to master how to have roads not full of pot holes . Anyway electric cars being the norm wont be in my driving lifetime so i'm not gonna worry about it :)

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Glasgow Fort is 42 miles from me.

Technically could go there and back on a full charge. And even if not you plug yer car in and go shopping etc whilst it charges.

I get what you are saying though D, All about peoples personal needs.

And the range of these cars is only gonna keep improving imo.
charge it at one of hundreds of charging points ??? All this kind of stuff is going to take years to become reality

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Do they hold their value well? It seems to me that they are much more expensive than a petrol or diesel car, and it the depreciation scares me.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
Do they hold their value well? It seems to me that they are much more expensive than a petrol or diesel car, and it the depreciation scares me.

An article for you.
It's improving, they're already holding value slightly better and demand should see this get better.

brianmc

Well-Known Radge
I heard some talking heads on the radio recently discussing where all the extra electricity was going to come from.
The claim was that we'd need to build 4 to 6 new power stations to have a chance of keeping up with the extra demand EVs would cause.

Environmentally friendly...?

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
I heard some talking heads on the radio recently discussing where all the extra electricity was going to come from.
The claim was that we'd need to build 4 to 6 new power stations to have a chance of keeping up with the extra demand EVs would cause.

They will be if we use renewable energy.
Although, the factories that make these batteries aren't quite as friendly.. Or at least they weren't a few years ago when all this chat started.

brianmc

Well-Known Radge
They will be if we use renewable energy.
Although, the factories that make these batteries aren't quite as friendly.. Or at least they weren't a few years ago when all this chat started.
I think they were suggesting 4 new nuclear or 6 new fossil fuel burning power stations 🤔

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Great info guys thanks, I’m going to read up.

probably not for me due to my location and frequent long journeys but I’ll keep an eye on.

brianmc

Well-Known Radge
That's mental, never knew that.

So cities can stay clean, but everywhere else can be polluted.
Defeats the purpose.
Aye, that was kinda the gist of what these guys were claiming - I've no idea if they were talking shite or telling the truth though 😀

tayside hibee

Well-Known Radge

It would be a lot more than that I would think.
If you convert the energy from all gas guzzlers into electric it’s astronomical. Every town would need it s own power station 😂
The grid is almost maxed out just now.
Scotland at least, has a step on regarding renewable energy.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here